PDA

View Full Version : Going into Great Dane Rescue

CobraSusie
10-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Right now we can't do as much as we'd like to for the Great Danes out there,
but we are helping one very needy little girl on Saturday, She is a 2 year old harlequin Great Dane named Maggie, she was living most of her life outside from what we hear,
(this is VERY bad for a great dane) as they can't handle extreme hot or cold weather.

She had a housemate (a female boxer) the owners left the two unattended and a fight broke out (great dane won) but the owner was planning on shooting her (idiots)
she ended up as a surrender to a rescue in Missouri.

I got a message through the Great Dane Rescue, and she has no where to go in MO. she is currently being boarded, but can not stay there forever,
so on Saturday Alan and I plan to make a drive to St. Louis, MO to pick her up.

The rescue there has arranged a (Dane Train) to get her closer to us
(saved approx. 4 extra hours on the road) so we are leaving bright and early so we can meet them at 1pm.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens, I wanted to take Deagan along for the ride (our 13 year old Dane) but it will be a bit too long for him to travel, so we are going to take the chance,
with great danes, females even (aggressive ones) usually work out well with males especially push overs like our big guy :)

Wish Us Luck, This is Maggie....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/CobraSusie/The%20Dogs/MAGGIE.jpg

CobraSusie
10-04-2006, 11:37 PM
When we move, I plan on going into some acreage, so that we can foster several great danes at a time, and I am sure alot of them will stay with us, everyone has a calling, I think I finally found mine :angel:

BTW this is Deagan (our big guy)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/CobraSusie/The%20Dogs/29dd9fef.jpg

SuperG
10-05-2006, 07:00 AM
It's really great of you to take on this responsibilty! Good Luck!

CobraSusie
10-05-2006, 11:21 AM
It can be heart breaking, as alot of dogs come in in such bad health saw some first hand, and some have to be put down :( but for the ones you can make a difference with, thats all that matters in the end ;)

tazzracing1
10-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Well hope it goes well we did horse resue for about a year +. I know it is alot of work and effort. Please keep up the great work and remember you cannot save them all, The ones you do save will make a diiference at some point in someones life and yours and Alan's. I wish you the best of luck in your rescues. I know you have a really busy schedule with everything else.

nckissfan
10-07-2006, 02:08 PM
very nice looking Danes! I have volunteered, in the past, with the Doberman Rescue of the Triad. It was very rewarding to me, to help these dogs find new homes. One day, whenever I get a fence installed, I will get one. It is nicer to rescue a unwanted dog, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Lumpydogs
10-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Susie and Alan,

That's fantastic that you found something worthwhile that you enjoy.
Everybody needs a little something to feel whole.

Good luck and Big Hugs to all the Danes. :D

p.s. Glad you finally joined the Club :thumbsup:

CobraSusie
10-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Sorry for the book Guys and Gals (Update time) it a copy/paste from my MySpace Blog ...

Sunday, October 08, 2006

<TABLE class=blog cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=30>http://x.myspace.com/images/spacer.gif</TD><TD>Maggie The Great Dane is Home !

We left the house at 6:30am for St. Louis, MO yesterday, and we got there at 12:30pm (316 miles one way) we got to the meeting spot as she arrive via (dane Train) another rescue member stood up and drove her 4-5 hours to the meeting spot (St. Louis, MO)

When we got there she was no where to be found, so I called her cell phone, and she was crying and said she was bloating, this is what our female Great Dane died of (there is a blog about it to explain)

We get to the Vet's office, and of course had to wait for them to stablize her, but she comes walking out all calm and tired, and such a beautiful girl, but we aren;t done here, we had to then transfer her to the Emergency Vet to make sure she could make the trip without this happening again, and we got her stabized enough to move, but one this happens to a Dane there is a 80% chance of it happening again and it can be right away, or down the road :(

So we are driving home, and about 60 miles into the trip, the new car gets a blowout, at this point we put the dummy spare on and look for a tire shop (naturally everything is closed) so we go to AutoZone, and that is where we find a couple that leads us to Walmart tire center YEAH!) It took the guys and hour and a half, but we are back on the road, and still nervous about the dog.

11:15pm and we are home, give Maggie some water ans put her in our room for the night, and she slept all night long, no accidents, no barks, and she didn't wake me up to go out again til 9:30am (thats incredible!)

We introduced her to Deagan our 170 lb. male Great Dane, and all is well, he was a bit excited so we watched them carefully, but no issues, and we have her in the living room watching tv with Alan now, but she wanders back and forth to see me too!

I don't see an aggressive bone in her body, like the (prevois owners stated) and the jerk was going to shoot her if the Great Dane Rescue didn't take her :( I just don't get it, she has been perfect in every way! She is home, and we are trying to get an appointment as we speak to get the stomach tack surgery (so she doesn't bloat again) after the surgery she only has a 5% chance of it happening from what the emergency vet said.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

CobraSusie
10-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Leaving the house in 30 minutes to head up North for the stomach tack surgery, Everyone say a prayer, I hope everything goes smooth today :thumbsup: I will keep you all posted ;)

tazzracing1
10-09-2006, 06:34 AM
SusieI will prey for you and your new found companion. By the way did you see the new pet smart video? it has a great dane like yours and little kid with an ice cream cone it is really cute.

CobraSusie
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
SusieI will prey for you and your new found companion. By the way did you see the new pet smart video? it has a great dane like yours and little kid with an ice cream cone it is really cute.Yes...and the dog's name is Maggie too! :rotf:

My Girl made it through surgery great, and my husband is in route to pick her up as we speak, I can't wait to get her back home, she has separation anxiety,
she cried when I had to leave for a few minutes last night, and when my husband left for work this morning (she kept watching the door for him)\

So naturally (leaving) her at the vet she must have been so confused :(
probably thinking we dumped her :( so I will feel so much better when she is home again :)

A pic from last night...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/CobraSusie/The%20Dogs/Maggieathome.jpg

Getting her happiness back...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/CobraSusie/The%20Dogs/Maggiewithmyinlaws.jpg

tazzracing1
10-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Well it sounds as though she accepted you both as her family. Jake our Blue Healer howled when we left him at the vet, Well him and lab where taking turns seeing who could be louder. well I'm glad she is doing well and she looks right at home in the pics.

CobraSusie
10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
She is doing great today, back to chasing squirrels :rolleyes: I had to correct her, so she didn't mess up her new incision :thumbsup:

CobraSusie
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
My Doggie's Smile has returned along with trust etc. she is doing great!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/CobraSusie/Maggiebeingcute.jpg

albino96
11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
i adopted a Great Dane from a rescue once and it was the best and sweetest dog i've ever had. Even though they are big, they are just big babies. I love them.