PDA

View Full Version : Need to Weld Plates for Bolt-in Roll Bar

SuperG
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I finished the roll bar install today, but immediately removed it.

The bolt-in roll bar from Autopower I have are for 94-04 Verts and the part numbers are 70271 (roll bar), ATPHM (Harness Mount), and ATP2-1 (2" upgrade) for $418 plus abour $80 shipping.

The install went really easy, especially when you have a buddy helping out. The DeWalt drill bits really hung in there, I was pleasantly surprised. However...I was thoroughly disappointed in how thin the floor boards are...in fact, I would never ever never trust the bar to protect me if I did not have some kind of plates welded to the frame. I knew floor boards were somewhat weak, but it felt like poking a pencil through paper!

From previous threads, I have seen pics for weld-in roll bars, but nothing specific yet to this application, since the mounting point to the floor is different. I either need to weld plates on top of or on bottom of the floor boards.

Are there any suggestions as to what thickness the plates should be and to what do I weld them to? I have seen both 1/8" and 3/16" plates used...

Thanks for the help!

johnbasf
10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
3/16 plate on the bottom(underside) of the floorboard should be fine. I would just bolt the plates.

SuperG
10-10-2006, 07:29 AM
It seems like the plates would not prevent the floor board from simply caving, thus compressing my spine in a rollover. Shouldn't the plates be fixed to something, like the subframe?

blk04cobra1
10-10-2006, 09:20 AM
It seems like the plates would not prevent the floor board from simply caving, thus compressing my spine in a rollover. Shouldn't the plates be fixed to something, like the subframe?
When we do roll bars, we tie everything in to the subframes...course we dont do bolt-in's, only weld's...

SuperG
10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
When we do roll bars, we tie everything in to the subframes...course we dont do bolt-in's, only weld's...
And I don't blame you for only doing welds...but wow! What a great opportunity to design an add-on design for welded plates for cheapo's with bolt-ins!!

Waiting on design...;)

blk04cobra1
10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
And I don't blame you for only doing welds...but wow! What a great opportunity to design an add-on design for welded plates for cheapo's with bolt-ins!!

Waiting on design...;)
very true...i'll run it by Will and see what he thinks :thumbsup:

SuperG
10-10-2006, 04:31 PM
very true...i'll run it by Will and see what he thinks :thumbsup:
You know...I am already short, but the way the Autopower Bolt-in roll bar works, I would end up several inches shorter!