PDA

View Full Version : thinkin of buyin'

DarrinG007
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2001 cobra convertable, but I have a question. The car is titled as a cobra, but the car has a "MUSTANG" rear bumper cover. Is ther any way this could be stock or has that cover been replaced?:doubt: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nckissfan
10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
are you sure it is a 2001? The 1999 Cobras had "Mustang" on the back bumper, but the 2001's should have the Cobra bumper.

SuperG
10-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Get the VIN and run a history, too!

nckissfan
10-17-2006, 02:41 PM
definitely run a carfax on it.

cobrabitn
10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Get the VIN off the car:

Go to www.google.com and type the VIN in the address bar, Hit enter

A carfax link will come up, click the link

It will then tell you if it is a true SVT Cobra or not! :thumbsup:

DarrinG007
10-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanx for all of your input. The car belongs to a freind of a freind and he says he ran the VIN# and did carfax. The VIN came back as a cobra and carfax did not show the car being in an accident. The car belonged to his brother-in-law who is nolonger with us, unfortunately:( . The car only has 39,000 miles on it and is in excellent shape. If any one else knows any other reason for the bumper cover, please let me know. Thanx

FST ORNG
10-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanx for all of your input. The car belongs to a freind of a freind and he says he ran the VIN# and did carfax. The VIN came back as a cobra and carfax did not show the car being in an accident. The car belonged to his brother-in-law who is nolonger with us, unfortunately:( . The car only has 39,000 miles on it and is in excellent shape. If any one else knows any other reason for the bumper cover, please let me know. Thanx
Only other reason could be that it was replaced at sometime or another !

BadMoFo
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM

describe the rear spoiler for us, does it attach at the ends of the spoiler in once piece or set on two risers about 6 or so inches from the end? cause anouther difference between the 99 and 01 is the rear spoiler. also make sure you look under the hood to make sure it has the cobra power plant. some people just throw a badge on and go.

and if it all matches to what a 01 should have then the bumper had been replaced probably due to accident. if the owner replaced it without reporting it it would not show up in carfax.

Big Daddy
10-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Well with the wrong bumper cover on it I wouldn't be trusting a friend of a friend about anything. If I were going to spend my money on the car I would run the VIN# MYSELF and make sure what I was buying and what Carfax had to say about it. Anyone can say anything and slap a couple of cobra emblems on a car and try to pass it off as a Cobra. Do the research YOURSELF or you could be a very sorry fella!

BadMoFo
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Well with the wrong bumper cover on it I wouldn't be trusting a friend of a friend about anything. If I were going to spend my money on the car I would run the VIN# MYSELF and make sure what I was buying and what Carfax had to say about it. Anyone can say anything and slap a couple of cobra emblems on a car and try to pass it off as a Cobra. Do the research YOURSELF or you could be a very sorry fella!

+1 :thumbsup:

DarrinG007
10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to go look at the car for the first time this weekend. I'v seen pics but they were not real clear so I'm gonnna take my own pics sunday. From what I can tell there are spacers between the spoiler and deck lid. I'll post the pics next week and maybe it will be more help. My freind is a MUSTANG fanatic(he has a 92' GT showcar,super nice but not a cobra)has seen the car and said if I don't buy it he would, it must be clean. Thanks again, Darrin:p

DarrinG007
10-20-2006, 12:08 PM
thanks all

nckissfan
10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
it doesn't look like a Cobra to me, and those stripes are awful looking. All the Cobra parts are readily available, so making a clone takes a little bit of money. No pictures of the motor? Seems odd to me.

99blackcobra
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
it sounds like to me it was hit and they changed the bumper cover. It wouldnt be on a car fax unless they turned it in to the insurance company

DarrinG007
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I looked at the car this weekend and talked to the owner. It is a 99' not a 01' which another freind had thought it was. I got the VIN# and called "SVT" and it is a cobra. It is super clean with 39,000 miles on her(the only mod is FLOWMASTER exhaust). YES, the decals are terrible and hopefully after removing them and having the car buffed out you won't be able to see where they were. Does anyone know where a guy could get the same COBRA wheels but chromed?:doubt:

nckissfan
10-28-2006, 03:03 PM
www.mustangtuning.com (http://www.mustangtuning.com) ?? They have a nice selection of wheels, and they don't charge for shipping:thumbsup:

rpalmer
11-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Stock '99 Cobra rear bumpers said "Mustang" on them.

Looks nice and clean, go for it!

-RP

Firme
11-03-2006, 07:53 AM
From the pics, the car definitely looks to be a 99 Cobra. The things that stick out to me is that it has 03 Cobra seats in it, and the wheels, although the correct wheel, have the wrong centercaps. They should be black with silver/chrome SVT written on them, like this (http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=M1096N&Category_Code=WHEELS). The snake centercaps commonly come on aftermarket replicas.

Does anyone know where a guy could get the same COBRA wheels but chromed?:doubt:

Yes, the 2001 Cobra has the same satin wheel, as well as a polished aluminum clearcoat option.

Go here (http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=M1007G178&Category_Code=WHEELS) for the 2001 polished wheels. Disregard the "2002" on the title as that is a typo. I'm not recommending you get them from here, just showing you the wheels.