PDA

View Full Version : engine stalls?

m571032
10-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey guys! Have any of you had your car stall if you are trying to stop quick say because a stop light turns red and you have no time for down shifting. Mine has done this three times over the last six moths. The first time the weather was terrible and I had the defroster on high, wipers on high and a stop light changed on me and I had to stop. I figured it was because I had a lot of accesories on but it did it today nice sunny day, no wipers or defroster or radio. Its starting to bother me because when it stalls you kinda lose your brakes. Do you think it could be something with the hydraboost drawing to much power from the engine. There are no warning lights except for those that come on when the engine is off and it always starts right backup. Just sitting still with the engine at idle and pressing firmly on the brake pedal really draws the rpms down. The car is all original only mod being a K&N cold air kit. Any help or suggestions will be great. Thanks

Big T
10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Several cars have had this problem including mine. The more mods I did the worse it got. I tried everything like cleaning the mass air meter filament to changing my cold air kit. It always came back. Be careful because it can happen while turning a corner and you can wind up in a ditch when your power steering goes out. I had many close calls. The good news is that any good tuner that works with these cars can fix it in the tune or you can take it to the dealership. If you are going to get a tune for your car just tell the tuner about your problem and they can take care of you. Be careful until it is fixed.

blk04cobra1
10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I'd suggest having your dealership reflash the stock computer with the "updated" factory settings. It should cost you nothing as I believe there's a TSB out for it.

smashedheadcat
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
I'd suggest having your dealership reflash the stock computer with the "updated" factory settings. It should cost you nothing as I believe there's a TSB out for it.

Agreed!

InfamousSVT
10-30-2006, 03:49 PM
What they said ^^^^^

Pro-Dyno
10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
+1:thumbsup:

m571032
10-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys. It just so happens that I found that tsb last night but my dealership is dicking with me because the car is one month out of warranty. Well lets just see who wins this this one. Thanks again.

ausie
10-31-2006, 07:17 AM
If the dealer is giving you grief, try another dealer even if they were not an SVT dealer they should be able to download the upgrade for you. IF you have the TSB bring the print out with you. It should not matter if the car is under basic warranty or not. If you do not have the information, they can deny that there is a TSB and more than likely they will not look the information up for you. Considering the labor involved with a flash upgrade, there is none applicable and would only consume a few minutes of time to do it. Watch out for games too, they may state they need to replace the ECU and charge you over $300 for the ECU replacement and turn around and just do the flash upgrade. I am not saying your dealer will do that but I do know one or two that would. One of them no longer is in business.

m571032
10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
I personally visited my local svt dealer today and its amazing how the conversation changes when your face to face. They looked it up right then and there and said they would do it and just charge me labor which they said would only be like fifty bucks. So I let it go fifty bucks don't bother me. I may not even have them do it and just have it done after the exhaust and ported blower is put on. Thanks for the info

blk04cobra1
10-31-2006, 10:28 PM
I personally visited my local svt dealer today and its amazing how the conversation changes when your face to face. They looked it up right then and there and said they would do it and just charge me labor which they said would only be like fifty bucks. So I let it go fifty bucks don't bother me. I may not even have them do it and just have it done after the exhaust and ported blower is put on. Thanks for the info
regardless what Steigemeire says, you'll need a tune after the ported blower is installed :thumbsup: