PDA

View Full Version : General Alternator ?

Aaron94
10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Is going with a $300 Powermaster 200 amp alternator w/ 1 yr warranty worth it vs a $160 130 amp Duralast w/ lifetime warranty thru Autozone?

What kind of advantages are realized with a 200 amp vs 130 amp?

I know that the higher amperage will benefit when running more electronics...

The only additions I have are a 300 watt JL amp (pretty mellow), and an HID conversion. Before this alternator died completely I did notice a drop on my voltmeter in the dash whenever I turned on the headlights. Perhaps this a clue I need more amps?

Any advice or $.02 would be appreciated!

geckorz
11-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm figuring that when your alternator was dying on you, that is why your head lights dimmed. You do not need 200 amps, but it would not hurt anything. Are you going to add any more mods in the future that will require power? If so, I would get the 200 amp. My 2 cents.

blk04cobra1
11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I would just go with the 130 amp...your HID's and 300watt amp should not be pulling that much juice...normally I would say get a capacitor for your system, but you're not pushing that much juice

Aaron94
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I replaced my battery, and my currnet alternator tested fine.

I did some more troubleshooting, and found the voltage drop only came after the car was up to temp. I pulled the electric fan motor wiring harness, and one of the wires is melted inside the connector. Awesome.

So it looks like its a bigger electrical issue. :(

I think it might be repair shop time, I dont know how much about electrical systems. I checked the ground coming off that harness, it looks good. I must have a bad ground somewhere else, i dunno...