PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Procedure to Flush the PS Fluid

SuperG
11-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I would normally just run the engine until all the fluid is out and shut down at the last moment, but I am not sure how the pump will react if it goes dry.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

blk04cobra1
11-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Remove the fuse pump relay located in the battery junction box to disable the vehicle from starting.
Disconnect the power steering return hose.
Compress and move the hose clamp.
Disconnect the power steering return hose and plug the fitting into the reservoir.
Attach an extension hose between the power steering hose and an empty container.
Raise the front wheels off the floor.
Fill the power steering reservoir.
CAUTION: Do not operate the starter motor for more than 10 seconds at a time. Damage to the starter motor could result.
Turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop while cranking the engine. Refill the power steering pump as necessary until the fluid exiting the extension hose is clear.
Lower the vehicle.
Remove the extension hose and connect the power steering return hose to the power steering pump reservoir.
Remove the plug and connect the power steering return hose.
Compress and move the clamp into place.
CAUTION: Do not overfill the power steering fluid reservoir.
Fill the power steering fluid reservoir to the appropriate level.
Install the fuel pump relay.
CAUTION: Do not hold at the stop for more than five seconds; damage to the pump can occur.
Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop.
NOTE: If power steering is noisy and accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid, it win be necessary to purge the power steering system. Check the power steering fluid level.
Clear the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

Run the vehicle and check the system for leaks.

This is not Mustang specific, but should give you the right idea :thumbsup:

SuperG
11-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Cool! I wouldn't have thought about removing the fuse...Thanks!

ausie
11-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I am no expert but,,,, I would agree with what blk04cobra1 stated with the exception of starting the vehicle. Just moving the wheel with the iginition on will allow the fluids to be pushed out of the rack pistions while the return line is disconnected.

You can still push the fluid out without trying to start the motor. Just leave the igition on so you can turn the wheel. Once you have it drained and reconnected, do the same proceedure of turning the wheel back and forth in slow increments without the engine running. Note, best not to go lock to lock as that may allow for air to sneek in between the pistions. You should be able to hear it rush once you turned the wheel far enough. Turn the wheel slowly which would push out the air. and eventually turn the wheel back once you see the fluid level drop in the resivior. Continue to increase the turning until you finnally reach the lock to lock positions and. Once you start the motor, if the steering is surging, you may still have air in the power steering system. (may be related to the power steering pressure sensor which may cause the pump to surge or pulsate dramatically). I recently did the same to my explorer and when the motor was running, the power steering system began to surge and oscillate radically to the point I thought the truck was going to jump off of the jack stands....so I continued the PS bleeding with the engine off. Not sure if the Cobra would wind up with doing the same thing since it is different. Once you get it back on the road and if you feel resistance in the steering wheel or vibration you still may have air in the power steering system. All you have to do is remove the cap and slowly turn from side to side increasing the steering travel, engine does not have to be running since the steering rack will push the fluids with the pistons alone. At times the fluid will push out of the resivior and then drop dramatically. It may take some time to clear all of the air out but worth it in the long run.