PDA

View Full Version : recalls for the 1999 cobra.

rickstoy
11-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I have read all of the recall info on the 99 cobra. Called the 800SVT #. For what ever reason the power issue was not fixed on mine. I am the 3rd owner. The rear knuckles and the park brake problem was repaired according to SVT. I contacted the local Ford dealer about still having the work done for the power shortage. They said sorry warranty is up. but did give me the phone number to call Ford. I have not called them yet I will let you know what they say. The local dealerships say it will have to be done though Ford not the local ford dealers. Ok I can live with that. I do not have the stickers are the dot on the intake. I do how ever have mufflers not flow masters welded on the car, per a local muffler shop. If I was to have a a dyno tune what kind of horse power increase I'am I looking at? and approx. cost? Also since I am new to this where is Carolina speed way located ? I would like to come and and meet you folks. FYI I have not had the clutch are tranny repaired yet from a previous post. I did change the fluid in the tranny which seemed to help a little. I plan on probably doing both later, if it continues to get worse.

cobrabitn
11-08-2006, 11:49 PM
You can get a tune/reflash for your Cobra. I honestly doubt Ford will "fix" the car since it is 7 years old. Here's what I recommend for you:

1. Cold Air Kit - JLT
2. Underdrive Pullies - Steeda
3. Off road pipe/high flow cats with a catback - I like MAC
4. Reflash/Computer Tune - Any Reputable Dyno Tuner
5. Strut Tower Brace - to stop cowl shake
6. MGW Shifter - to reduce reverse gear grind
7. 4:10 gears - this is definitely a must!
8. Have Fun

Cost for all of this would be around $2500.00 and will put you in the 300 rwhp from 255 an unfixed car would have.

Carolina Dragway is in North Augusta, SC. Visit the BB often and check out the website. We welcome you to join the club and get all of the inside scoop on the SCMC!

:thumbsup:

bluebyu
11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
You can get a tune/reflash for your Cobra. I honestly doubt Ford will "fix" the car since it is 7 years old. Here's what I recommend for you:

1. Cold Air Kit - JLT
8. Have Fun

Cost for all of this would be around $2500.00 and will put you in the 300 rwhp from 255 an unfixed car would have.

Exactly what I would do.

rickstoy
11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I have a BBK cold Air kit and B&M shifter. I will be planning a trip to have a dyno run in the near future to see were I stand, and build from there. I was more than a little disapointed to find out I did not have all the ponies I thought I was paying for.:( But oh well. Got to start some were.

Jamo
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM

1. Cold Air Kit - JLT
8. Have Fun

Carolina Dragway is in North Augusta, SC. Visit the BB often and check out the website. We welcome you to join the club and get all of the inside scoop on the SCMC!

Out of curiousity, which of those would you NOT need to do if the recall work had been done? Oh, and how do I find a dyno tuner near me who can reflash?

99SVT3753
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
you should still do them all :)

Your intake didn't have the BLUE or GREEN dot I take it .. Mine did, but there was NO WAY they did them cuz there was still flashing material blocking the ports -- until I pulled it over the winter and took care of it myself!

flynfink
02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Out of curiousity, which of those would you NOT need to do if the recall work had been done? Oh, and how do I find a dyno tuner near me who can reflash?

First, fill out your profile so we know where ya are.

Second, Shifter is #1- crisper shifting and less chance on destryoing the trans. after that catback and CAI.

OBTW, mine was a test mule for the SVT recall on the 99 motor, I've got baseline dyno pulls before and after the "FIX". If your's wasn't done, find a way..

cobrabitn
02-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Whether your car was flashed by the factory or not is irrevelant to the mods listed. Since I personally owned a 99 Cobra, I am speaking from no nonsense experience.

I would do all of the mods listed and leave the reflash for last once all of the mods are done. :thumbsup:

P.S. I agree with Jeff...it would be nice if you filled out your city, state, etc so maybe we can recommend a shop for you in your area.

cobra9915svt
02-24-2007, 01:25 AM
As a 99 owner i now have new concern for my "baby" and reason to spend more money this spring! So my questions are as follows...

What is the best way to tell if this recall has been taking care of. Will SVT know if I call them with my VIN?

Also, I am ready for and in need of a tune. Does anyone know a good shop in Michigan. I got burned last summer using a local body shop to upgrade and paint some parts. Appreciate it guys/gals!

cobrabitn
02-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Call the Ford SVT number and they can tell you if your car had the "fix" done to it. 1.800.FORD.SVT.

I don't know of a good shop but if you e-mail andrew who lives in the Detroit area, he can put you on one. E-mail me for that information at mrmach@cetlink.net.

HTH :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
02-24-2007, 12:02 PM
As a 99 owner i now have new concern for my "baby" and reason to spend more money this spring! So my questions are as follows...

What is the best way to tell if this recall has been taking care of. Will SVT know if I call them with my VIN?

Also, I am ready for and in need of a tune. Does anyone know a good shop in Michigan. I got burned last summer using a local body shop to upgrade and paint some parts. Appreciate it guys/gals!

In Michigan the guy is Pauls High Performance. I hear he really knows his stuff but I would read his website and ask to talk to a couple of his customers. :thumbsup: