PDA

View Full Version : installing a 03 cobra supercharger on a 99

99RedCobra
11-09-2006, 11:59 AM
curios as to whether this is possible or not. can you buy 2003 blower components and will they bolt right up to a 99 cobra :bounce:

cobrabitn
11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Too many parts to list for the swap. It is not advisable to use a cast piston with a higher compression ratio for a supercharger that would require a lower compression ratio and forged internals. My advice would be to sell the 99 and buy an 03/04 and save yourself the headache and expense. JMHO ;)

ausie
11-10-2006, 07:20 AM
It probably is possible considering the head casting is similar where the intake plenum would attach. There are some major differences in the serpentine belt arrangements since the 99/01 only used one belt to drive all of the accessories and the 03/04 uses two parallel belts. I would not doubt that it can be done but is it worth it? Considering what Cobrabitn said cast pistions and high compression ratio's would not particularlly be suitable for forced induction. The other issue is that the 03/04 heads also have different cam shafts than the 99/01 cousins. If you did the swap, you would probably have to reduce the blower speed to drop the boost down below 6psi which would probably be difficult to find such a pully. Some have been successful with the KB mod or the Paxton units. There is even the rear mounted Tubo option which is gaining ground on the forced induction market. Unfortunately the 99/01 motor was not designed for forced induction in mind. If the 03/04 is not an option than I would recommend rebuilding the bottom end of the stock 99 motor with forged internals first then add the rear mounted turbo kit or supercharger if that is what you prefer. At this point, it would probably cost less in the long run for the 03/04 option than it would be if you just installed the supercharger on the 99. I am happy I took the 04 option than trying to build up my 01 to match that of the 03/04 Cobras.

99RedCobra
11-10-2006, 11:53 AM
i already have forged rods and pistons on my vehicle but i upped the compression during the last build up. i do have another cobra block and 8.5 to 1 pistons in the garage. i also have a set of 03 cobra cams. the heads on the car are also ported and have aftermarket valve springs and retainers. i havent seen a rear mounted turbo set up for this vehicle. which is really what i'd rather have cause i don't want to scrap my long tubes. :bounce:

blk04cobra1
11-10-2006, 04:14 PM
i already have forged rods and pistons on my vehicle but i upped the compression during the last build up. i do have another cobra block and 8.5 to 1 pistons in the garage. i also have a set of 03 cobra cams. the heads on the car are also ported and have aftermarket valve springs and retainers. i havent seen a rear mounted turbo set up for this vehicle. which is really what i'd rather have cause i don't want to scrap my long tubes. :bounce:
honestly, it's a little more expensive, but would take you a whole lot farther HP wise...get a Kenne Bell...it's made directly for your car and you wouldnt have to bother with the changing out of parts.

99RedCobra
11-10-2006, 04:37 PM
i really just want to find a stock blower from one of you guys that has already upgraded to a kenne belle since i already have 11to1 compression i just want to give it 4 or 5 psi and run high octane fuel like 110 unleaded. unless i can find a relativley cheap turbo kit or pieces to one then i can fabricate my own

ausie
11-11-2006, 08:00 AM
There was a Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford issue that came out this year which specifically listed all of the turbo kits available or not yet released. I tired to locate it but I must have given it to a friend to read up on since that is what he is interested in for his LX. The only down side of rear mounted turbo's is that you have to install the air filters under the car exposed to the elements (what ever would bet splashed or blown up by the tires). From what I remember, there seems to be a growing market for turbos. MM&FF may have some links on their web site.

With an 11:1 compression, a modified roots supercharger (Eaton M112) may not be the best for the application due to the pressure variations created by the supercharger which results in heat build up. My guess to reduce rotor speed to provide 6 psi would be a 4.3" pully or something in that range. There is always Methanol injection that would cool the intake down so the Eaton if desired would be okay to use. Lysholm twin screw superchargers (Kenne Bell or Whipple) operate differently than the roots since air compression occurs between the coned shaped rotors which results in a uniform pressure and lower discharge temperatures. The 99/01 kit without an intercooler option is factory set to operate at 6psi (but I think it is only 2.1L displacement). You may be able to find an Eaton but getting the lower plenum and intercooler for one may be more difficult since most that replace the Eaton reuse the plenum and intercooler. The Kenn Bell 99/01 kit comes with the intercooler and lower plenum if ordered with the intercooler option. The other benefit of the Kenn Bell unit for the 99/01 is that it would use the existing serpentine belt to drive it. The M112 Eaton requires a additional drive belt set up since the snout is relatively long. It may be possible to obtain a short snout from Magnuson (new carrier name for Eaton) so that you could use the existing serpentine belt than adding a piggy back system that the 03/04 Cobra's use.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/aboutus.htm

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/cobra99-014v/cobra_99-014v.htm

CJchronic
11-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but who makes a rear mount turbo kit for 99/01 cobras?

ausie
11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
CJchronic, I think I am the one who hijacked the thread and for that I appologize. :(

Squires Turbo Systems (yep the company that made them for the LS1 Camaro and Trans Am) has kits for the 05+ and from what I saw in stangnet they also have one available for pre 05's. Just for interest I copied a link to the side scoop custom built system if you can think of an option for the remote mounted turbo that would be it but would require some fabricating of sheet metal to do it.

http://www.ststurbo.com/turbo_system_options
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/side-scoop-mounted-turbo-kits-from-jms-products-vt1699.html

There were other kits from the article I read about but cannot remember if most of them were header mounted kits (which is the majority of the market place for turbo applications). The only advantages of the remote (rear mount) systems is the reduced temperatures on the turbo when compared to the header mounted system. The long pressure pipe leading to the intake will act like an intercooler since it has plenty of length to allow for discharge air temperature to be cooled. The only drawbacks would be its low position since it would mount where the mufflers are located. When comparing costs, a twin turbo system would be about the same if not more expensive than adding a supercharger. The more I think about that the more the positive displacement superchargers become attractive since the space they occupy is in the engine valley compared to the centrifugal type you have to make room for it somewhere as well as the turbo kits.