PDA

View Full Version : Gear shift sounds.. :(

Mr. Snake Car
11-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I have recently been bitten by the snake! I bought a 98 cobra last Friday and can't keep my hands off it. Paid a little too much but I am glad to be a proud new owner. Anyhow I amin the process of getting the tune-up completed.
I am noticing that Fords are tough little cars to work on..

But my main question deals with the short throw gear shift. Is there supposed to be a relatively loud high pitch whirring/whining coming from the shifter area. It is so loud that I cannot hear the engine from inside the car with the windows up. It's a bummer and I hope it can be fixed.

97BlackSnake
11-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Is it the steeda tri-ax? If so the noise is normal. I'm not sure that you can fix it. You might try putting some silicone around it. Otherwise you could switch it out for a different brand shifter. I switched to the MGW and it doesn't really sound any louder than stock :thumbsup:

Dan

blk04cobra1
11-11-2006, 09:24 AM
If the noise is so audible, then it would lead me to believe something in the transmission...not just the shifter...a little noise is typical, but not to where it drowns out the engine

nckissfan
11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
could it be there is no dust boot thing there? I know the MGW uses the existing, without altering it. I have read that others either eliminate it, or alter it to fit, maybe causing some more noise to enter the cockpit?

CJchronic
11-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Switch to an MGW shifter. If that doesn't fix it, it's something else. Even with the MGW you will hear a little more noise than stock, but nothing even close to what your describing. Good luck,hope it's nothing serious.

nckissfan
11-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I experienced zero added noise with my MGW

Mr. Snake Car
11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Right, thanks. I'll consider a new shifter down the road but first I need to adjust the hp on this thing with intake and headers.

Thanks again!!