PDA

View Full Version : Right rear tire nearly worn out

bbrence
11-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey folks,
I have 12,500 miles on my stock 04 coupe. I just checked my tires......the Goodyear F1 GS's [275 40's] that came on the car. The front tires show very little wear. The right rear is nearly worn out, but the left rear shows very modest wear. The left rear has a very slow leak......takes a week for it to go from 34lbs down to 19-20lbs......but stops leaking at 20lbs or so. My questions:
Why is the right rear wearing out [it holds at 30+ lbs, while the left rear leaks and is not wearing? Does this have something to do with the traction control? Incidentally, I very seldom drive the car hard, and almost never spin or break loose the rear tires.

Last question: I have had the left rear tire checked.....no nails, stones, or any obvious leaking when submerged in water. The stem was replaced.....and still it continues to leak down to 20lbs. I guess it must be leaking around the rim in some way. Should I shoot some aresol 'stop leak' into the tire. I have had tire people say to never use the stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

03slidewayzSVT
11-15-2006, 06:54 PM
you make more right turns than left:D

rickstoy
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
I had the same problem except my tire was not leaking air. Have your aligment checked front and rear. Mine was off in the rear more than the front. Mine had wore to the core, just happen to see it by accident one day. it was worn on the inside tread. You may have the same problem.:thumbsup:

Y2KCOBRA88
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
unless you are making more right turns :) if your right tire is worn even all the way across it has to be the rear end clutches are slipping on the left side.... making you wear out the right tire.. if you only have 12500 miles you should take it back to the dealer to show them the tire problem and get it fixed under warranty

svtrag
11-15-2006, 11:14 PM
I hated the goodyears that came on the 03-04's. I had 2 blow out the sidewall within a week of eachother. Best thing I did to the car was put different tires on the car, traction in the rain with goodyears was horrible.

puzzle13
11-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Hey, you are doing good. I only got 6000 miles out of my original tires. They were the worst. Never could get a good balance and the traction was poor. I replaced them with Goodyear F1 GS-D3's and have had much better luck with them. I run these at 36psi and they seem to wear very well even with 315/35/17's on the back. I actually have 13000 miles on the car now and still have a good amount of tread. That means 7000 miles and still going. They might last another year or two at my current rate of driving. Good luck on getting your dealer to replace the tire.

m571032
11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Have your dealer check the rear end toe and camber for your bad tire wear. Also DO NOT put any kind of tire sealant in your tires unless its an emergency. As for leaking air submerge the entire wheel assembly under water heck put more pressure in it when you do submerge it. It is a known fact there are rims out there that can allow air pressure to seep thru the aluminum. My 10th anniversary car had a miss cast wheel on it. Half the rim was about 3/16 of a inch thicker than the other half and it caused the car to shake at speeds above 80 mph. good luck!

ausie
11-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Definately have the rear toe checked. The connecting rods may be off in the rear which would casue the abnormal wear on the one side. As for the slow leak, it may be probable of the casting is at fault or that the bead of the tire was damaged during installation. If you have wheel counter balance weights hamered into the side of the rim against the bead of the tire could cause the leak. I prefer the counter balance weitghts that are placed inside the of the rim vrs the ones that get hammerd on between the tire and rim.