PDA

View Full Version : steel or alum flywheel?

BadMoFo
11-19-2006, 01:19 PM
ok upgrading the clutch this week and figured while its down I will cover all the bases. leaning towards spec stage III+, 26 spline input, new sleeve, ect. but dont know what flywheel and what material, steel or alum. want to order everything at one time.

current mods are basic, 2.76 upper, cai, exhuast, the regular run of the mill stuff. plan on port, lower and nitrous next year sometime. this is my daily driver, and by that I mean roughly 80 miles a day with a 600 mile road trip once a month. I try to make it to the track when I can so the occasional track outing is defiantly in there. any help is appriciated, thanks.

InfamousSVT
11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Josh, I've got a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel in my car along with the DFX 26-spline set-up. Works great :thumbsup:

The only "real" difference between the aluminum and steel flywheels is that the aluminum is lighter and will allow you to rev the engine quicker, and the steel flywheel is heavy I believe.

Good luck

Y2KCOBRA88
11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
ive been looking for one to upgrade too... been wondering same thing... looks like stage III+ is best level for clutch. the flywheel is best aluminum for weight and rotating mass but not sure if steel would be better for above 600 rwhp.

blk04cobra1
11-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Ive got a steel in mine...Jason is right about the aluminum being lighter...

dewone
11-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Just got a new Jegs cat and saw the Fidanza in there was wondering about product quality y2kcobra88. I think it came with a removable steel wear pad. Is that what you got. And what did you think it must have been good enough to put in your car.

psycho43142
11-20-2006, 08:33 PM
I just got the Anderson Ford Al flywheel to go with my tricked out T45 for my 97. It looks real nice with removable wear plates.

Chris

InfamousSVT
11-20-2006, 11:49 PM
I've had the Fidanza in mine for a few thousand miles with about 525rwhp MD and everything has been fine with it.
You will notice reduced mpg with the steel flywheel.

Lethal Performance or Lightning Force Performance always has them in stock for a great price. :thumbsup:

Y2KCOBRA88
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Just got a new Jegs cat and saw the Fidanza in there was wondering about product quality y2kcobra88. I think it came with a removable steel wear pad. Is that what you got. And what did you think it must have been good enough to put in your car.
i have not purchased one yet either.. curious about steel or aluminum also.. most info is that stage III+ clutch looks best for 600+ rwhp... but i want to know whether to buy steel or aluminum.. i have nos dry kit ready to install so i will see close to 700 rwhp.. anyone know if i should run a steel flywheel or not? the stock flywheel and clutch is toast. i am limping around on it now...

jimmysidecarr
11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Heavy steel flywheels used to be used on finicky, stumble prone, high winding over cammed, big ported, no low end.... RACE MOTORS!!!(think stock stroke BOSS 302s direct injected or tunnel ram with a 5K to 9K power band)

It would help get them off the line... and up on the cam sooner...(along with a narrowed 5.88 geared nine inch and 14-32s)

I don't see steel flywheels as desirable in our cars... less rotating weight = quicker times and more power available at the tires.
The less weight you have to spin up IN the engine and between it and the tires the better... as long as everything is strong enough to deliver the torque produced.

If you have not finished your forensic diagnosis of your clutch problem...

I would buy nothing except clutch and pressure plate(and the other updates you mentioned)... until you know the flywheel is in fact trashed. I have seen many totally roasted clutches that were slipping and gouging the pressure plate side only... and the flywheel only needed a light "scuff in".

ausie
11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Steel may be stronger in some respects but all depends on how it is tempered (hardened) and the alloy composition of the steel. The same applies for the aluminum alloy and its harndess too. It also matters how the part was made (forged, CNC billet, or cast) some methods may not be suitable for steel so only the forged or CNC billet would apply. Of course the mass is much greater with steel than it is with the aluminum having the same thickness. It would also depend on the peak HP and Torque of the motor in respect to the load (weight of the vehicle). If you want the strengh of steel and weight of aluminum, then the only material that comes to mind is titanium alloy but at a very high expense (if they even exist) but it can take the heat without changing its properties like steel or aluminum.

When selecting a clutch disk, the face plate (what we think of as the pressure plate) and flywheel should be matched to the clutch. The contact or friction pads are important as well as the amount of damping designed into the hub of the clutch disk (if you have seen the springs inside the hub of the clutch they are there to provide a certain amount of give between the hub and clutch disk before it locks up. Found some interesting articles that may help you decide which way to go. The clutchwizard has some diagnosis links that may help diagnose the issue you have now (assuming you have issues with your current clutch).

http://www.clutchwizard.com/performance.htm
http://www.lukclutch.com/support/clutch_basics.phtml

scrmngdave
11-25-2006, 09:07 PM
A couple of things you may want to consider on the flywheels gentlemen. 1st is that the billet steel flywheel is heavier and by nature stronger, it does carry more centrifigal wieght which makes driving a little easier, but it also hits the tires much, much harder at launch. If your car is still IRS, then I would not recomend the steel flywheel. The aluminum flywheel works well in our cars because of the weight advantage and it doesn't shock the tires as hard at launch. All of the aluminum flywheels have a replaceable steel friction surface and some clutches are not compatable with that surface. I have had alot of good luck with the Fidanza pieces as well as the billet steel offerred by different vendors. I would sugest that if you are looking at Spec or whoever for the clutch, call them and take a look at one of their complete clutch packages which will include the flywheel that they recomend for that particular clutch. I will say that the spec st3 clutch is an awesome piece and will hold alot of power, I believe they are rated at 700-800 rwhp, but they do have a little bit of chatter on release. Good Luck with your car:thumbsup:
Dave