PDA

View Full Version : Adopt-a-highway...

97CasperCobra
11-21-2006, 01:24 AM
I've been thinking of doing this with the club, and wondered if anyone had any interest.

Basically, here's the deal:

"- You adopt a two-mile stretch of highway for a minimum of two years.
- You agree to clean it four times per year (more in some areas due to traffic count).
- We put it in writing and feature your group's name on an Adopt-a-Highway sign marking your adopted section.
- Adopt-a-Highway will provide your volunteers with appropriate permits, safety vests, litterbags, and safety training.
- You bask in the glory of claiming a piece of Texas pride."

Would be something that we can give back to the state of Texas, give the club some addtional exposure, and have that "feel good" feeling of making a difference. :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
11-21-2006, 03:00 AM
Get caught street racing and you can do it without the glory in one of pretty orange vest :rolleyes:

03 cobra toy
11-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Get caught street racing and you can do it without the glory in one of pretty orange vest :rolleyes:

That's some funny $hit dare :rotf:

97CasperCobra
11-21-2006, 06:53 PM
forget i asked..... :(

jimmysidecarr
11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok... But the questions beg to be asked...

HOW MUCH???.... also

What road???

Who does the cleaning???

Is it common knowledge that the cleaners are NOT the adopters??? (In the event that obvious criminals under guard are cleaning our section of highway)

And the most important...

Can I bed in my race brakes there???..........lol J/K ;)

97CasperCobra
11-22-2006, 01:21 AM
HOW MUCH???.... also

What road???

Who does the cleaning???

Is it common knowledge that the cleaners are NOT the adopters??? (In the event that obvious criminals under guard are cleaning our section of highway)

YOU, the club, adopts the highway...committing for 2 years to keeping it clean. Not sure the road....I was seeing if there was ANY interest before finding out more details. And you, the club, do the cleaning. The state provides you will all necessary equipment to clean.....ALL outlined in my first post. :D

Mephisto
11-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I did this in college, with the service ogranization APO. I think it is a great idea. I'm in. It a natural fit for a car club to help keep the highways clean, and the highway dept gives you the cool vests :)

97CasperCobra
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
I did this in college, with the service ogranization APO. I think it is a great idea. I'm in.

Thanks Henry...I'll start looking as to where we can adopt one. :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
11-22-2006, 01:26 PM
I would prefer to help get rid of the people who litter the highways :mad:

97CasperCobra
11-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I would prefer to help get rid of the people who litter the highways :mad:

since we can't sit on the side of the freeway with a laser-sighted AR-15, why don't we just get a trash bag and do our part to help out??

Twice Bitten
11-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I noticed that there's a stretch up for adoption either on Champion Forest/Louetta or maybe it was Cutten.

cobrabitn
11-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Personally, I agree with Henry. I think it is a good idea and I always wanted to have that here in SC/NC. You just have to be sure you are careful and no one gets hurt while out on the street. You bring possible liability to the club when you put our name in there. :cool:

Twice Bitten
11-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Sign I just saw "open for adoption" was in the esplanade by Lowe's on Cypresswood near 249.

97CasperCobra
11-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Sign I just saw "open for adoption" was in the esplanade by Lowe's on Cypresswood near 249.

good.....after we clean we can come to your house for beers and food!!! :thumbsup: :p

Twice Bitten
11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
good.....after we clean we can come to your house for beers and food!!! :thumbsup: :p

Why yes you can! :D :thumbsup: :cool:

03 cobra toy
11-23-2006, 10:29 AM

"My back hurts"

"Sorry I can't make it I need to work this weekend"

"Sorry I can't make it I have a hot date tonight"

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :D

Firme
11-23-2006, 10:44 AM
As long as we stick to it, I think its a great idea. Plus if we can get that stretch, it would be a great spot.

97CasperCobra
11-23-2006, 11:08 AM
As long as we stick to it, I think its a great idea. Plus if we can get that stretch, it would be a great spot.

That's what I wonder.....if some people can commit to volunteering a day out of the weekend to help keep Texas clean.

jimmysidecarr
11-23-2006, 03:23 PM
I think it's do-able...
It's a great way to get out and get some air... laced with FINE PREMIUM CIGAR SMOKE... lol

It would be nice exposure for the club... I would be up for helping.

Where do you park when doing something like this?

Do we haul the filled bags off ourselves? If so where do we take them?

Tony's right ... we will have to be exceedingly careful out there!

97CasperCobra
11-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I doubt they're open, but I'll call the office tomorrow and see if I can get some information.

Sounds like we have enough interest to make this doable....:dunno:

Levi
11-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Right,,,,,, At my age I will skip to the beer, food and cigar's. :rotf:

jimmysidecarr
11-24-2006, 03:15 PM
All we are missing are the ORANGE VESTS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Austin%20Cruise%20March%2006/P3250028.jpg

97CasperCobra
11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
All we are missing are the ORANGE VESTS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Austin%20Cruise%20March%2006/P3250028.jpg

:lol:....very nice Jimmy, though I think i'll be driving the Focus to the clean-up site..... ;)

Mephisto
11-27-2006, 09:34 AM
The state provides all you need including the cool vests. I think someone has to go to the local office to pick the stuff up. You just let them know what day you will clean up, then you fill the cool orange bags and just leave them on the side of the road. They come and pick up and haul them away.

At leats that's the way it used to be 10 years ago.

As for safety, you do have to be safe but normally you are picking up stuff well away from the road. Many folks honk and wave to thank you. I'm sure you could put up the club sign, but it is best to find a safe parking lot nearby and pile in a big truck to get the road.

97CasperCobra
11-27-2006, 02:31 PM
here are the guidelines that are on the application the representative sent me:

"The following guidelines apply to the Texas Department of Transportation’s Adopt-a-Highway program:

Participation in the program is open to members or employees of civic and
nonprofit organizations; employees of private businesses and governmental entities; families; and individuals.

A group must be located or reside in the county or county adjacent to the county in which the adopted section is located.

In no circumstance is a section of interstate highway eligible for adoption.

The group will:

•Obey and abide by all laws and regulations relating to safety and such other terms and conditions as may be required by the District Engineer for special conditions on a particular adopted section.

•Adopt a section of roadway that is a minimum of two miles in length, unless the District Engineer determines a shorter length is in the best interests of the Department.

•Adopt for a minimum period of two years.

•Pick up litter a minimum of four times a year at approximately quarterly intervals and at such additional times as required by the District Engineer, unless the District Engineer determines that two times a year is adequate to maintain an acceptable right-of-way. It is desired that one of these pickups occur during the Department’s annual “Great Texas Trash-Off” events.

•Appoint or select an authorized representative and alternate to serve as spokesperson for the Group.

•Furnish adequate supervision by one or more adults for minor participants of a group who are 15 years of age and older, with at least one adult for every three children who are 7 to 14 years of age. Children under the age of seven may not participate in the program.

•Conduct or attend at least two safety meetings per year and ensure all participants attend a safety meeting before participating in a cleanup of the adopted section.

•Obtain required supplies and materials from the Department during regular business hours.

•Open traffic control signs during a cleanup and return them to the closed position (or remove in the case of detachable signs) after the cleanup.

•Wear Department-furnished safety vests during the trash pickup.

•Place litter in trashbags furnished by the Department, place filled trash bags at the sign base, and contact the district maintenance office the first working day after the cleanup for removal of the bags

•Return unused materials and supplies to the Department within one week following each cleanup.

•Not possess or consume alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs while on the adopted section.

•Maintain a first-aid kit and adequate drinking water while on the adopted section.

•Not subcontract or assign its responsibilities to any other group, organization or enterprise without the express written authorization of the department.

•Have the option of renewing an agreement subject to the approval of the District Engineer and continuation by the Department of the Adopt-a-Highway Program.

The Department will:

•Work with the Group to determine the specific section of the State highway right-of-way to be adopted.

•Erect a 4' x 4' sign at each end of the adopted section with the Group’s name or acronym displayed. :thumbsup:

•Provide traffic control signs, safety vests, trashbags and safety information.

•Remove the filled trashbags the first workday after the pickup.

•Remove litter from the adopted section only under unusual circumstances, i.e., to remove large, heavy or hazardous items or if the group has not fulfilled its responsibilities.

The district engineer may defer approval of this application to the executive director or the executive director’s designee. Should the district engineer deny approval, in whole or in part, of this application, the applicant may appeal that action to the executive director or the executive director’s designee."

She also stated that "Most of the highways in Harris County cannot be adopted. The state highways in the area, FM 1960 and SH 249 cannot be adopted. Harris County also has a program for county roads. The county
commissioner for the area would have to be contacted for details."