PDA

View Full Version : my 99 cobra

99cobra~
11-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey guys I have a 99 cobra with a few basic mods. what I am wondering is what I should do next being as tho christmas is coming up fairly soon. I was on the UPR website a few times and saw a engine dress up kit that I liked. I also want to get some more power out of my car. any ideas would be great!

flynfink
11-23-2006, 11:21 PM
WhAt have you done so far?

ausie
11-24-2006, 10:53 AM
based on your mods in your signature, I would probably get a base line pull on a dyno followed by a tune if you have not done so yet. Some CAI's may cause the engine to run a bit lean. In some cases leaning out the A/F will create more power but in the long run could lead to engine damage. Another issue with aluminum intakes is that aluminum is a good heat conductor. Once the heat soaks into the pipe it may effect the inlet air teperature sensor which may also alter the A/F curve towards leaning it out since air temperature is part of the air density calculation used to alter the A/F ratio. Most cold air kits do what they claim, draw in outside air not influenced by radiated heat from the engine but they also have their drawbacks since they can cause some error in the air flow measurements (volumetric or temperature).

nckissfan
11-24-2006, 01:13 PM
if you want some nice bling for under the hood, go to www.mgwltd.com (http://www.mgwltd.com) :thumbsup:

99cobra~
11-27-2006, 06:13 PM
based on your mods in your signature, I would probably get a base line pull on a dyno followed by a tune if you have not done so yet. Some CAI's may cause the engine to run a bit lean. In some cases leaning out the A/F will create more power but in the long run could lead to engine damage. Another issue with aluminum intakes is that aluminum is a good heat conductor. Once the heat soaks into the pipe it may effect the inlet air teperature sensor which may also alter the A/F curve towards leaning it out since air temperature is part of the air density calculation used to alter the A/F ratio. Most cold air kits do what they claim, draw in outside air not influenced by radiated heat from the engine but they also have their drawbacks since they can cause some error in the air flow measurements (volumetric or temperature).
yea I have my car put away for winter right now. but in the spring I plan on putting it on the dyno here at college to see what I'm getting for numbers and if its leaning out. I also plan to buy a sct flash tool in the summer and get a tune.

ausie
11-28-2006, 06:54 AM
I recommended the tune for one reason, I had a BBK CAI on my 01. From that sour experience (although it was great on the short term) it was not very good on the long term. At the time had I realized that clocking the MAF by 90 degrees towards the elbo I may have not had any issues at all except for the wide tube hitting the strut tower under acceleration. I cannot put the sole blame on the BBK part since the detonation may have been a cause from some other aspect but the car was operating fine until after the install of the CAI. A baseline pull with the CAI on the car could have possibly identified the issue if it was running lean at WOT. Even the mid range suffered with ping and eventually it got to the point where the car was undrivable without adding fuel additived to enrich the octane levels. Actually I think most of the issues were related to oil passing through the PCV line and over time creating carbon deposits on the pistons resulting in hot spots, running lean would also cause hot spots on the pistons once they get burned. I was able to correct the issues after returning the car back to stock form. I did miss the sound of the air rushing into the aluminum plumbing though but I did not miss the ping and sudden stop of the engine while driving... Before tossing the BBK I did some experimenting with it... Combined the plastic stock intake tube with the chrome fender pipe and that improved the issue to some degree. I figured by removing the part that soaked up heat would lessen the chance of error in the air temperature sensor which would result in leaning out the A/F ratio. Getting a tune would also reduce the chance of issues since the A/F ratio can be dialed in for the change in air flow charactersitics of the CAI.

Other than that, I would definately recommend the JLT PCV filter to reduce the amount of oil passing into the intake. You could probably add the filter to the breather line as well but not much of an issue with a natrually aspirated engine.

99cobra~
11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
hmm... ausie you are so damn smart haha I hope when I graduate I have close to as much knowledge as you do. And from the sounds of it I should get a tune asap when I get my car back in the spring. How much is a tune going to cost? When I baught my car it came with the bbk cold air kit too. otherwise I probably would have baught a K&N because they have a plastic inlet tube correct?

blk04cobra1
11-29-2006, 08:52 AM
hmm... ausie you are so damn smart haha I hope when I graduate I have close to as much knowledge as you do. And from the sounds of it I should get a tune asap when I get my car back in the spring. How much is a tune going to cost? When I baught my car it came with the bbk cold air kit too. otherwise I probably would have baught a K&N because they have a plastic inlet tube correct?yes, the K&N intake comes with a hardened plastic intake tube...a tune, depending on which device you choose can run you from $300-$600...usually the $300 tune consists of just flashing the stock computer. The $600 one would include an handheld device (SCT XCal2 or Diablo Predator). There is a medium, which is a flip chip. These chips allow you to have multiple tunes so you can flip flop between any of them easily. A tune with one of these will probably run you in the $450-$500 range.

ausie
11-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Flash tuners are okay, but the professional grade tunning software can do far more but it costs way more than the flash tuner. There were a good series of articles in MM&FF magazine titled "inside the black box". The hand held tuners may give you some access but not all parameters can be modified since they are done as a package deal. Having a custom tune done with a dyno along with street runs should help to eliminate any issues that some bolt on parts may have created.

My thoughts on CAI, either just use the stock parts without the air silencer and use a good high flow filter like the green air filter, there are others too that are better than the K&N products. JLT uses the other filters. Speaking of JLT, that would be the way I would go for cold air intakes. Considering how much the FIPK kit costs, it is probably close to the JLT pricing. One of these days I will have to get a JLT CAI for my Cobra. As of now my 04 still has the stock intake, I am still a bit biased on CAI's with many thanks to my previous experience I had with the 01. JLT has kits for most of the mustangs, the best one would be the fender well version, MAF and filter are moved into the fender well, all bends in the intake tract are well after the MAF meter.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index
I may have had my bias on the chips but I now have a better understanding how they work. Chips plug into the J3 service port. Once plugged in, the ECU ignores internal programming and relies on the chip to provide the operating software. Flip chips are great if you have access to race fuel, NOS, or have a turbo that has an electronic waste gate that can dial in more boost. Since chips cause the ECU to ignore internal programming, it is possible to use both the chip and a flash programmer if the chip can be remotely turned off. I could see a benefit for the flip chip if I had a dub pully set up on my supercharger. That sounds like a good idea, swap the pullies and flip the chip for the higher boost at the track and return back to stock when I leave the track. From what I recall, you can do that with some flash tuners too. Question would be..... do flip chips rely on the learned EEPROM parameters in the same way the ECU does? What happens to the EEPROM data when using flash tuners? Once you change the program, you probably do not want to reuse the learned data since thay may cause issues since it was learned with a different or stock program. My guess is that flash tuners would dump the EEPROM memory so it could be relearned with the new software loaded. It would make sense if the flip Chips have their own on board memory used for parameter learning each tune, or transfer the saved data from the last time the program was used into the EEPROM.

ausie
11-30-2006, 07:25 AM
hmm... ausie you are so damn smart haha I hope when I graduate I have close to as much knowledge as you do. And from the sounds of it I should get a tune asap when I get my car back in the spring. How much is a tune going to cost? When I baught my car it came with the bbk cold air kit too. otherwise I probably would have baught a K&N because they have a plastic inlet tube correct?
The unfortunate issue was that I put the BBK intake on my 01. I will not say that BBK is a bad product, it just was not suitable for my application. The down side to the CAI was that I attempted to retain the screen which may have been part of issue. It did work much better without it but did not solve the issue I had. The last time I had it on the car was when it got into detonation at WOT which resulted in blasting off the filter on the end of the tube. I still remember running the damn thing over with the front tire and seeing it fly past the dirvers side mirror. If it was not for the knock sensors (not sure if they did any good) the engine would have been toast, engine basically shut down completely but was able to restart it once I got the car in neutral. More than likely the head gaskets were damaged or weakend from that however I could not see any signs of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant but that does not mean there were no signs of exhaust gases or contaminant in the coolant or any visible damage when looking through the spark plug holes. The engine was in good running condition when I traded it in and still had plenty of power to plant you into the seat. What I really wanted was a supercharger so trading in for an 04 was the easier path than modifying the 01.

gcradic
12-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Hey guys I have a 99 cobra with a few basic mods. what I am wondering is what I should do next being as tho christmas is coming up fairly soon. I was on the UPR website a few times and saw a engine dress up kit that I liked. I also want to get some more power out of my car. any ideas would be great!I may have overlooked if someone already asked, but has your 99 been through the "recall" for missing horsepower? Call SVT, they can tell by the VIN. Their number is 1-866-377-8862. You can also get your certificate of authenticity and join the SVTOA at the same time if desired. If you have a dyno sheet, that would also tell you. This problem was three fold. One: the intake manifold didn't flow well, Two the ECM needed to be reflashed and Three: The exhaust was replaced from the cats back.

IMHO if your intake manifold is the older version, you should take care of that and get your vehicle up to spec. I know a few places to check for updated manifolds, but they are getting expensive (the 03/04 Terminator guys are snapping them up for turbo setups). The exhaust and ECM are easy fixes if you havn't already addressed them. You can find an excellent source of info on the "99 recall" at this website...

http://mysite.verizon.net/txsnakecharmer/techman1.htm

Now if your snake is already good to go, I would do the gears as the next mod. It produces the most noticable performance increase based on cost. Most N/A Cobra owners around here use 4.10 or 4.30. If gas mileage is a concern, buy a Honda (JK:Dlol). You can play with gear ratios on this website....

http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/cgi-bin/trans.cgi

That's just my two cents. Above all, be safe and have fun!:thumbsup:

OFF TOPIC: Hey Ausie, I see you are in Allentown, I live in Elizabethtown!

ausie
12-21-2006, 10:39 AM
gcradic,
Sorry for the delay in my response.
I used to live in Elizebethtown for a short while when I went to Penn State University Harrisburg Campus. Used to be on Ridge Road between Chestnut road and Old Hershey road. I had a great time remembering my old travels when I went down to the CJ Pony parts customer apprieciation day in July this year.

As for the gears, that is a toss up. 4.10 would be best all around gear for a daily driver. Thanks for the gear ratio calculator. That has given me some idea's for the terminator but for now the 3.55 will have to do.

:thumbsup:

ausie
12-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I noticed in your signature that you have an X pipe. Do you have a cat-back to go with it? If you do not that would be a place to start since it will free up some backpressure, not to mention improve fuel milage...

Underdrive pullies will free up some paracitic losses but probably not worth the amount of power gains or increase in operating temperature if the water pump is slowed down too much.

If I have not stated it before in this thread, swap out the platinum plugs for Irridium plugs (Denso or NGK) and set the gap to about 0.035". That should give you a nice clean throttle response. I must have gone through many different plugs (including copper ) in hopes to cure the pinging issue I had with the 01 and the Denso's worked the best ( I did not try the NGK equivalent but many like those too). Perhaps with my 01 a retarded timming would have fixed most of the issues I had. However I think there may have been a casting flaw in one of the heads which caused most of the issues.

If money is no object, a T56 transmission will improve things quite a bit due to the different gear ratio's. Not quite a direct swap since you would also need to replace the drive shaft. What I did not like about the T3650 was the lockout on 1st gear once the car was at a roll.

Canton aluminum expansion tank, Looks killer under the hood as well as outperforms the plastic stock expansion tank since it will not leak or loose the cap after it heats up. That will also allow the use of a pressure release radiator cap.

Note: If you are going to get gears, I would follow that up with a differential brace to strengthen up the differential and probably remove some compliance out of the differential support with some different bushings.

99cobra~
12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Yea I baught a stainless steel x pipe w/ no cats. I was looking into a few cat back systems but I do not know which one to go with. Considering how illegal my car is already (tint, red blinkers, exhaust)... I want to get something that wont be super loud but I also don't wanna but down the money for bassani

I also just got my car back from being worked on.. and my clutch pedal seems to be kind of shaking when I let out of it

ausie
12-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Yea I baught a stainless steel x pipe w/ no cats. I was looking into a few cat back systems but I do not know which one to go with. Considering how illegal my car is already (tint, red blinkers, exhaust)... I want to get something that wont be super loud but I also don't wanna but down the money for bassani

I also just got my car back from being worked on.. and my clutch pedal seems to be kind of shaking when I let out of itWhat did you have done to it? The shaking could be clutch chatter.

some issues with clutch operation can be found on the net. Here is one link that may help.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=26045

IT all depends on what state you live in, you probably could get away with and extremely loud exhaust. The one I have on my 04 (depending on atomospheric pressure and humidity) can create enough pressure waves to set off most car alarms when punching it through a narrow street in the early morning but yet mild enough when not under full throttle to prevent getting pulled over. Since you lack the cat's (or exhaust restrictions) just about any aftermarket exhaust will be loud and draw attention. You may get more hassles from the tint in the glass than the loud exhaust.

Come to think of it, I could be wrong, but did the 99 hp recall include replacement of the cat-back exhaust?

gcradic
01-02-2007, 05:20 AM
Come to think of it, I could be wrong, but did the 99 hp recall include replacement of the cat-back exhaust?Yep, the intake manifold was replaced, the stock cat-backs were replaced (with Flowmasters I believe) and the ECU was reflashed. There is a link in my 12/21 post in this thread with all the info anyone could ever want on the 99 recall.

Hey 99Cobra~, do you know if your snake has the updated stuff?