PDA

View Full Version : Need Help... Gauge lights?

Brian Mattingly
11-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm having trouble with my Gauge lights on my 2003 Cobra. They work fine when I first turn them on but after a few minutes they just shut off. My outside head and fog lights still work and my Cd / heater/ air conditioning lights are still on. My interior light also still comes on. Just the dash lights go off. (oh and my high beam indicator on the gauges still works) Then afer a little while the lights will come back on, then some time will pass and they will go back off.

I talked to a friend of mine who thought it was the light switch itself, he thought that it was over heating then shuting off and when it cooled back down it would come on again. So I bought another light switch and replaced the other one and the damn lights still went off. So now I'm stuck, any ideas on what the problem might be and on how to fix it? I need some help. I would prefer not to have to take it to a shop or a dealer. But that might be my only option.

Any advice you guys might have would be great. Maybe some of you have had something simular happen to yourselfs.

Thanks
Brian

blk04cobra1
11-25-2006, 08:43 AM
sounds like there might be a loose connection behind them...have you put any gauges in the car?

Brian Mattingly
11-26-2006, 04:10 AM
No, they're stock gauges. I don't think anything is jared loose, because my car can be sitting still and they will just go out. You turn the lights on and they will stay on for a few minutes, and then they will shut off for about 10 minutes or so then they will come back on. They stay on for any where between 10 to 20 min. then they'll go out again. Then the whole process will repeat. I tryed wiggleing the light switch and tapping on the gauges, but none of that stuff works.

It's almost like something is overheating then shutting off, and then when it cools back down it will turn back on. I though it was the switch itself so I replaced it and that didn't help. It's got to be something else. Any Idea on what to look for as far as over heating and Loose conections may go?

cobrabitn
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
A problem like that is hard to diagnose. You could have a bad ground somewhere or corrosion?? Sounds like some sort of electrical resistor is causing the problem. You might end up taking it to the Ford place to get it fixed, anyway??