PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Removing DS Valve Cover

SuperG
11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Well...there's just not a lot of room to move things around, huh? It appears I need to move the master cylinder and Booster over a bit in order to squeeze the valve cover off...the booster (big iron thingy) has 4 or 5 bolts...if I unbolt this, will brake fluid run all over the place? If it will, do I just need to go ahead and do that?

Also, is anyone selling patience? I am just about all out on this car.

But I still love it!

scrmngdave
11-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Well...there's just not a lot of room to move things around, huh? It appears I need to move the master cylinder and Booster over a bit in order to squeeze the valve cover off...the booster (big iron thingy) has 4 or 5 bolts...if I unbolt this, will brake fluid run all over the place? If it will, do I just need to go ahead and do that?

Also, is anyone selling patience? I am just about all out on this car.

But I still love it!
Gary,

Disconnect the 2 brake lines from the master cylinder and remove the 2 mounting nuts that bolt the master to the hydro-boost. Set the master cylinder off to the side. Be careful not to get any brake fluid on the paint. From under the dash disconnect the clip that holds the push-rod on the brake pedal and remove the 4 nuts that bolt the hydro-boost to the bulkhead(firewall). There is enough slack in the power steering lines that will allow you to lift the hydroboost out of the way and remove the valve cover. It sounds like alot, but is really a piece of cake. Good Luck!:thumbsup:
Dave

ausie
11-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Sorry to bud in on this one, I had talked to a friend who used to be a ford mechanic, I had attempted to remove the dirvers side valve cover myself... and got hung up on the master cylinder... He suggested since the master cylinder uses flex lines, the unit can be removed from the fire wall without disconnecting the lines. You would definately need to protect the fender with a blanket so that the master cylinder does not damage the paint, but it can be done so you will not have to bleed the brakes along with the master cylinder.

Just a suggestion......

SuperG
11-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Sometimes I wish I had a Lightning...more room!!