PDA

View Full Version : Paradoxical Error Code after Emissions Circuit repair

ProfChaos
12-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Hiya.

The situation I face is that I get a paradoxical OBD-II error code, one that is generic, but my '96 Cobra (with off-road Bassani X-pipe) seems to be running better than ever after a nearly-total shotgunning of the emissions control (EGR/Air Pump/CCRM) circuit...

The OBD-II Error Code that I recieve on a regular basis is "P0340": "Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold," an error code that I received in the past when I had purchased gasoline with water in it, or when I had driven the car after purchasing dubious (perhaps lower-octane) gasoline.

The question for the experts out there is as follows: What does the error code "P0430" actually indicate, in terms of the likely/possible component failures?

In short, what possible conditions might give rise to an OBD-II error code of "P0430: Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold"?

Thanks for your help.

--Professor Chaos

ausie
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Hiya.

The situation I face is that I get a paradoxical OBD-II error code, one that is generic, but my '96 Cobra (with off-road Bassani X-pipe) seems to be running better than ever after a nearly-total shotgunning of the emissions control (EGR/Air Pump/CCRM) circuit...

The OBD-II Error Code that I recieve on a regular basis is "P0340": "Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold," an error code that I received in the past when I had purchased gasoline with water in it, or when I had driven the car after purchasing dubious (perhaps lower-octane) gasoline.

The question for the experts out there is as follows: What does the error code "P0430" actually indicate, in terms of the likely/possible component failures?

In short, what possible conditions might give rise to an OBD-II error code of "P0430: Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold"?

Thanks for your help.

--Professor Chaos
Professor, I think you put in a typo..... The PO430 is the catalyst or if the O2 sensors fore and aft of the cat are measuring the same reading. The typo above PO340 would indicate that the crank position sensor is out of whack or in error. I would assume that you have the secondary O2 sensors replaced with mil-eliminators with the off-road x-pipe. The primary O2 sensors need to be in place since that is used in part to regulate air/fuel ratio. If you have all 4 O2 sensors connected that would explain the OBDII code since that is usually triggered when both the fore O2 sensor and aft O2 sensor generate the same measurements. Most of the OBDII codes are generic or lets just say they are standardized codes. I did have a link to all of the Ford codes with probable corrections but that link no longer is active. :( I should have downloaded it.

There is another link that may be of help. and here it is. Hopefully it works for you.

http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/864-obd-codes-2000-ford-e150---42l---repeated-code-0340-need-help.html

ProfChaos
12-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Professor, I think you put in a typo..... The PO430 is the catalyst or if the O2 sensors fore and aft of the cat are measuring the same reading. The typo above PO340 would indicate that the crank position sensor is out of whack or in error. I would assume that you have the secondary O2 sensors replaced with mil-eliminators with the off-road x-pipe. The primary O2 sensors need to be in place since that is used in part to regulate air/fuel ratio. If you have all 4 O2 sensors connected that would explain the OBDII code since that is usually triggered when both the fore O2 sensor and aft O2 sensor generate the same measurements. Most of the OBDII codes are generic or lets just say they are standardized codes. I did have a link to all of the Ford codes with probable corrections but that link no longer is active. :( I should have downloaded it.

There is another link that may be of help. and here it is. Hopefully it works for you.

http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/864-obd-codes-2000-ford-e150---42l---repeated-code-0340-need-help.html

thanks for the help Ausie.

It was a typo, and the actual error code is P0430 "catalyst efficiency below threshold."

I talked to a local performance shop that specializes in Cobras, and the man who does their E-PROM chip-programming told me that although someone might earlier have attempted to turn off the back two O2 sensors, the O2 sensors apparently were not turned off properly--the back two O2 sensors might not have been turned-off by way of the proper sequence of codes.

Thus, I am probably going to have the SCT chip that is currently installed replaced by a Diablo chip; I will then have the new chip re-programmmed so that the back two 02 sensors are turned-off. Then, the car will likely be dyno-tuned, so that I can actually have a solid point of reference as to the car's performance. I will then keep the SCT programmable chip as a backup.

Thanks again for your help.

--Professor Chaos

blk04cobra1
12-06-2006, 08:39 AM
thanks for the help Ausie.

It was a typo, and the actual error code is P0430 "catalyst efficiency below threshold."

I talked to a local performance shop that specializes in Cobras, and the man who does their E-PROM chip-programming told me that although someone might earlier have attempted to turn off the back two O2 sensors, the O2 sensors apparently were not turned off properly--the back two O2 sensors might not have been turned-off by way of the proper sequence of codes.

Thus, I am probably going to have the SCT chip that is currently installed replaced by a Diablo chip; I will then have the new chip re-programmmed so that the back two 02 sensors are turned-off. Then, the car will likely be dyno-tuned, so that I can actually have a solid point of reference as to the car's performance. I will then keep the SCT programmable chip as a backup.

Thanks again for your help.

--Professor Chaos
no need to get rid of your SCT chip and pay for a Diablo...the guy is right, there are certain ways to turn off the rear O2's in the SCT software...best way really is to put a set of MIL Eliminators in the rear and you can leave the rear O2's on...MIL's will set you back about $60 and they are plug and play with your rear O2's :thumbsup: