PDA

View Full Version : which exhaust is the quietest

03bloodredsnake
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
i have the slp 1 loudmouths i love the sound but getting bored with it, also it is very annoying when cruising for a long period of time gives me a headache.let me know:thumbsup:

Silver10th
12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Stock. :D

ausie
12-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Been there before..... Swapped the SLP for the 01 factory cat back for a short time. Did not take long before I put the SLP back on the car. I still have the 01 factory cat back along with the 04 cat back in my basement. It was different driving the Cobra with a quiet exhaust as well as made it feel there was something missing, perhaps it was just too quiet for me.
If you still have the factory H-pipe you could swap out the x but sacrifice the higher flow of the cated x pipe you have since the stock cats are a bit more resitrictive and there are two more of them in the exhaust flow. The stock H pipe will tone it down a bit. I have not chantged the mid pipe on my 04 and can tolerate the SLP loudmouths. Also the drone is not all that bad with the factory H pipe in place. Of course the factory cat-back is quiet and it also has a considerable amount of back pressure with it.

Also if you have the SLP M31003 cat back, you cannot change out the resonators since they are welded in place. However if you have the modular one where you can change the muffler section, SLP does have alternates to install.

ausie
12-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Where do you run at? Maple Grove? Island Dragway? or Engishtown?

blk04cobra1
12-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Other than stock, I'd have to say the Magnaflow's. Ive heard the SLP's on a cobra and they arent too bad, but we have some on a Mach that's in the shop and it's horrendous, truely sounds like ass...

Big Daddy
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Bassani...my car is real quiet you can't even hear it coming! :D ;)

03bloodredsnake
12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Where do you run at? Maple Grove? Island Dragway? or Engishtown?i run at island.its a shitty track but atleast you get your moneys worth not like maple grove and englishtown where you pay all this money and sit there and wait just to get 3 runs in all day.id still like to try a better track though i know this car can get high tens with ease:thumbsup:

puzzle13
12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I had a Bassani X-pipe with cats and the Bassani cat-back on my 03 and it was so loud I got headaches. Probably just the tone, but you could hear me coming a half a mile away and that if I wasn't getting on it. You couldn't sneak into anyplace that is for sure. I now have Magnaflow with BBK headers & h-pipe. The stock h-pipe is much quieter when you get on it. The headers are actually a bit quieter if you are just cruising, but that changes a lot when you hit the gas!!! If you want quiet ... use the stock exhaust, at least the stock h-pipe.

InfamousSVT
12-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I've got the MagnaPak's on mine which is a straight through muffler and is comparable to the Bassani.
The Dyno Max (SuperTurbo) mufflers are going to be the quieter muffler over anything else without sacrificing exhaust flow with the stock bent tubing.

:thumbsup:

mkkrs1
12-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Stock. :D+1 :D :starwars: :fart: :dunno:

NewFoundPower
12-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Bassani...my car is real quiet you can't even hear it coming! :D ;)

That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard! Greg would drive by my apartment and rattle pictures off the wall.

-D-

ausie
12-07-2006, 06:32 AM
i run at island.its a shitty track but atleast you get your moneys worth not like maple grove and englishtown where you pay all this money and sit there and wait just to get 3 runs in all day.id still like to try a better track though i know this car can get high tens with ease:thumbsup:
I have only been to Englishtown once but for a car show. Too far to drive for doing the fun stuff if you break something. I like the island dragway but I would agree it is not the top of the list for asthetics. Have you gone to Island on a Sunday for test and tune? The track is usually in better condition but like Maple Grove you would be lucky to get more than 3 to 4 runs in due to the amount of cars there (all depends on what time you get there). On Friday nights I am lucky to run in mid to low 13's but on Sunday Morning closer to mid 12's and on street tires. One of these days I will try out a different track just to see if there is much of a difference. I am sure one of these days I will run in to you up there. Until then.... There is another track in PA and probably as far as Englishtown but would take less than 3 hours to get there. Numidia Dragway which is up in Bloomsburg somewhere between Harrisburg and Scranton. It would be a 1 1/2 hour trip if not more (assuming the average speed is 65mph). I kept seeing adds for the Dragway when watching the ESPN2 NHRA drag racing.

http://www.numidiadragway.net/index.html

Firme
12-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Next to stock, I would say either a stock H pipe with the FR-500 catback, or a Magnaflow hi-flow cat'd x pipe and FR-500 catback. It won't be completely silent like a stock 03, but it has virtually no drone and is very, very very tame, until you go WOT. I speak from first hand experience.

Larry95
12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Get a bottle of asprin for the headach and leave it like it is.

03bloodredsnake
12-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Get a bottle of asprin for the headach and leave it like it is.i probably will. slp does rock

ausie
12-11-2006, 06:08 AM
I would leave it the way it is for the time being. Since you live in PA make use of it while you still can if PA passes the ban on aftermarket exhaust HB1330 then you can worry about finding a quiet exhaust.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/the-law-banning-aftermarket-exhaust-vt1570.html

I doubt that the bill will get passed but just in case it does, enjoy the exhaust while you can still legally use it.

ausie
12-25-2006, 12:02 PM
i have the slp 1 loudmouths i love the sound but getting bored with it, also it is very annoying when cruising for a long period of time gives me a headache.let me know:thumbsup:
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had the SLP's on the car?
When I had the 01 and the SLP, it was louder than I expected even after they seasoned in. But the 04, they became very quite and I barely hear them unless I have the windows down. I still have the full cats and H pipe so that probably makes up for the intensity.

The FR500 exhaust may be on the more quiet side but there is some advantage of the second x pipe located next to the differential that improves the scavaging of the exhaust slightly. I almost went that route but since I loved the SLP on the 01, I had to have it on the 04 as well. Depending on how much that set up costs, I may reconsider it again as well as some other items. It does not take much time to swap cat-backs out ( althought the fr500 may pose a slight issue with the additional x pipe in the rear). Not sure about the drone issue while cruising.