PDA

View Full Version : throwing 2 codes p0305 and p1414

mojosvt
12-10-2006, 06:02 PM
When I picked up the car, the seller told me that the check engine light had been on ever since he installed the long tubes. Sounds like a valid reason to me, but just to set my mind at peace, I drove up to autozone and used the self scanner. THe 2 codes were p0305 which is a misfire in the #5 cylinder. and the other code is P1414 Secondary Air Injection System Monitor circuit High Voltage.

Now the car is running fine, no hesitation or sound like a misfire. What are all your thoughts? Plugs and cap are new within the last 9 month, at least that is what I was told.

mojo dad
12-10-2006, 08:49 PM
I think your dad is faster than you!

cobrabitn
12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
:rotf:

mojosvt
12-10-2006, 11:33 PM
It is not about how fast you get to the corner, but how fast you get through it:bounce:

And thanks for all your help with the codes dad:rolleyes:

ausie
12-11-2006, 07:34 AM
If you have a miss fire on one cylinder, check that spark plug as well as the electrical connection to the injector for that cylinder. Also check the plug wire for a good connection. It may just be a bad plug wire or poor boot connection.
Checking the plugs or replacing them may be your best bet as well as inspecting the cap and rotor for wear or cracks.

Have you tried clearing the codes to see if they return? They may just be old codes and the problem already fixed but the codes do not clear themselves so you will have to do that manually either with the scan tool or by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
The p1414 could be caused buy the IMRC controller if it is unplugged or has bad electrical connections. It is possible that the IMRC plates are stuck open or not functioning. Perhaps your motor has the IMRC delete kit or that the runner control circuit is disabled.

mojosvt
12-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I cleared the codes yestereday, and when I started the car this morning, it came right back on. I believe the p1414 is due to the smog pump being removed????? Because I know the car will not pass emissions.

The p0305 is the one I am worried about. I am going to go pull the codes again tonight, to see if it is the p1414 that popped back up again, or the p0305 that triggered the light. The only things that worried me was this morning I decided to drive the car to work. It drove great until I got in the parking lot. Then it started to idol rough. So I am thinking misfire. So if I can get the car home, i will change the plugs, and check all the wires. I guess that is all I really can do now.:rolleyes:

SvilleCobra
12-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Great looking Mystic Mike. Congratulations!

Sorry to hear you are having some issues w/ it. Sounds like an easy fix but locating the cause may take some time. In fact, sounds like my Cobra which was dropped off this morning to fix my "hesitation" problem ( and add a rollbar! ). Interesting to hear it could be a IMRC issue as Ausie states...I will let you know if that was my issue.

Look at it this way....you have 3 months to get it ready for Knoxville.

Post up some more pics when you can.

tones688
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Great looking Mystic Mike. Congratulations!

Sorry to hear you are having some issues w/ it. Sounds like an easy fix but locating the cause may take some time. In fact, sounds like my Cobra which was dropped off this morning to fix my "hesitation" problem ( and add a rollbar! ). Interesting to hear it could be a IMRC issue as Ausie states...I will let you know if that was my issue.

Look at it this way....you have 3 months to get it ready for Knoxville.

Post up some more pics when you can.
Hey Mike, post some details about your rollbar please :)

mojosvt
12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I talked with the previous owner, and the p1414 is due to the smog pump removal. HE thinks the misfire code was a one time thing from having the compression checked before the sale. I am going to go pull the codes again this afternoon, and check the plugs and wires. Hopefully everything will be all square, and I really won't have to do anything.

ausie
12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
My bad, I took the description of the p1414 and assumed it was the runner control circuit. If it was that the numbers would be 15xx range. Sorry for the mistake I should have looked up the code before posting. You are right, the secondary injection code is related to the smog pump or emissions function of sorts. I attached a link to the ford specific ODBII codes below. You are right that the car will not pass an emissions test since they use the ODBII service port for the test. There may be a way to disable that part of the program in the ECU by flash tunning. Not sure how to currect the smog pump issue (actually I thought the smog pump was dropped back in 93 ).

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

There may be another way to solve that problem since I am sure many of owners have come across this issue and may have a fix for it.

jsnake
12-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I put on some ford headers and the air pump would not plumb up to the right header. I took my 98 to get it computer tuned and a dyno. They defeated the ability to produce a code. The air pump is there, but only hooked up to the left side. When you get a print out @ inspection time it says N/A next to everything.

ausie
12-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I hope that the check valve is located on the header otherwise that may cause some type of header leak (unless the header connection is capped off). I guess right now it is just a pully for the belt... with a small paracitic loss. The only two benefits I see with a working smog pump, the first being able to pass emission inspection, and the secondary benefit would be the small amount of air flow could be seen as a header cooling device but probably would not cause much of a temperature reduction since it is not a high ratio compressor. At least you were able to tune out the smog pump code generation.