PDA

View Full Version : racing harnesses in an 03 Cobra

puzzle13
12-17-2006, 06:36 PM
I know some of you have put racing harnesses in an 03 or 04 Cobra, can I get some insights from those have done it? My main concern is the strap coming up between the legs ... using a 5 point I believe you have to drill a hole in the floor, but what about a 6 point harness? Any preferences towards a 5 pt or 6pt? Camlock vs. Latchlock? Simpson vs. G-Force or any other brands? All your comments would be welcome! Thanks! :D

03 cobra toy
12-17-2006, 07:14 PM
I know some of you have put racing harnesses in an 03 or 04 Cobra, can I get some insights from those have done it? My main concern is the strap coming up between the legs ... using a 5 point I believe you have to drill a hole in the floor, but what about a 6 point harness? Any preferences towards a 5 pt or 6pt? Camlock vs. Latchlock? Simpson vs. G-Force or any other brands? All your comments would be welcome! Thanks! :D

IMO...5/6 PT harness will not help you with a stock seat.
Camlock is the only way to go.
I like the New G-Force belts that are FIA rated

Happy reading :D

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2328&highlight=seatbelt+mounting

puzzle13
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
I appreciate the info ... yes a long read. I will check out the Simpson site as they were mentioned with better harnesses. I am not ready to change seats, but have seen others with harnesses & stock seats. They felt that they were held in much better than with stock belts. We will have to see. Thanks again.

03 cobra toy
12-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I appreciate the info ... yes a long read. I will check out the Simpson site as they were mentioned with better harnesses. I am not ready to change seats, but have seen others with harnesses & stock seats. They felt that they were held in much better than with stock belts. We will have to see. Thanks again.

Some of that info was back in 2002. The G-Force harnesses have changed and are much better. So don't rule them out. :thumbsup: (I have them in my car)

If you want to keep the stock seats I would go with Schroth 4 PT harnesses.

Some more good reading :D
http://www.schrothracing.com/

puzzle13
12-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the info!! I checked out the site ... no quick fit pro for a Mustang, but I contacted them via email to see what they felt about the situation.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
12-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info!! I checked out the site ... no quick fit pro for a Mustang, but I contacted them via email to see what they felt about the situation.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry I gave you the wrong link :rolleyes:

Rallye 3 ASM

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/streetlegal/1576

And attache it to the "C" pillar.... (Upper rear seatbelt mounting point).

puzzle13
12-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Actually the links were just fine! I spoke with Matt at HMS Motorsports after he replied to my email. You cannot use 5 or 6 pt belts with stock seats as the bottom belts are by design meant to go through the seat. He set me up with a 4 pt camlock harness that can become a 5 or 6 pt harness down the road if I go to racing seats. They were very helpful and actually configured the belts to the best attachment methods for my car. No drilling or modifications needed! Again ... thanks very much for the information! :D

mojosvt
12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Some of your info is incorrect. I was running a schroth 6 point in my 03 cobra with no modification. you sit on top of the 6, it doesn't go through the seat. That would make turn it into a 5 point. I really liked the feel of the 6, really held you into the seat. Without some anchoring belt (the 5 or 6th point), the 4-point just ride up funny, and there is no way to keep the latch low on your waist.

03 cobra toy
12-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Some of your info is incorrect. I was running a schroth 6 point in my 03 cobra with no modification. you sit on top of the 6, it doesn't go through the seat.

Page 23,24,25

http://www.schroth.com/installation-instructions/en/index.html

puzzle13
12-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Well, whoever is correct I don't actually know. I got lots of different answers, but mostly the ones that said 5 & 6 pts with stock seats were okay seemed just to be selling the belts. Saferacer said the Gforce were good belts and just to follow the installation instructions. If you read those and follow those to the letter they won't work with stock seats. Even the Simpson literature on the Saferacer site if followed directly is only for using racing seats. Sitting on the lower belts was said to be questionable as it could really do damage in the private areas in a frontal crash depending upon what the shoulder & lap belts were developed for. Personally I hope to have better restraints with the 4pts since they were developed for just that fact, and if I go with different seats I can just add on.

SuperG
12-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, in any case, the 4-points are better than the stock belts!!

puzzle13
12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Yep ... and that was what I was interested in!

Sonic Blue
12-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I used a sparco harness bar with G force 5 points with an H strap. They fit the stock seats nicely and keep you butt planted. I made brackets out of flat stock that bolted to the front seat mounts that hold the sub belt. Only holes were for the inside lap belts.