PDA

View Full Version : Launching my Cobra

jimbo68gt
12-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Whats the best way to launch my Cobra from a stand still? Not really at the strip but more so from a stop light. I want to go after a couple of AWD WRX's but I know they can get me coming out of the hole. Any idea's? Right now I'm 417 at the wheels with stock tires. Thanks

blk04cobra1
12-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Whats the best way to launch my Cobra from a stand still? Not really at the strip but more so from a stop light. I want to go after a couple of AWD WRX's but I know they can get me coming out of the hole. Any idea's? Right now I'm 417 at the wheels with stock tires. Thanks
I would just feather the clutch out of the hole, then pedal it til you get traction...the stock F1's just plain suck, but you can get the hang of it...rev it up to about 2500rpm's, the slip the clutch a tad...takes a little practice, but you'll get it...or you could just get some Mickey Thompson's on those stock rims :thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
12-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I would just feather the clutch out of the hole, then pedal it til you get traction...the stock F1's just plain suck, but you can get the hang of it...rev it up to about 2500rpm's, the slip the clutch a tad...takes a little practice, but you'll get it...or you could just get some Mickey Thompson's on those stock rims :thumbsup:
+1, agree with Torrey

ausie
01-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I would agree with what was stated. Tires will make a difference. :thumbsup:

If you have an opportunity to get to a drag strip and run your car, that is the best place to practice launching. Of course the launch pad is much different at the track than what you would find at any intersection that has a traffic light, but that does not mean you cannot use what you learn at the track on the street if you so desire. Having a bit of track time may help you dial in your launch technique. Drag radials will help in the traction deparment but there are some street tires that will work great on the street and not so bad on the track. Toyo, Nitto, etc... If you look at tire rack and compare summer tires, you can sort by category. I believe General tire has one that rates #1 by consumers (ignore the stars below the tire name since that is just a warranty rating and has nothing to do with performance). If you do decide to opt for different tires, stick with the summer only category. Most all season tires or those that have M+S ratings will not perform all that well due to the harder rubber compound.

AWD vehicles like the Subaru WRX and the Audi RS4 may have a slight advantage off the line due to the torque losses in the viscous coupling between the front and rear drive shafts which tends to keep the tires from spinning, but there is a weight penalty for the 4 wheel drive. Considering the Subaru WRX STI has 11.43lbs/hp, the Audi RS4 is 10.76lbs/hp where as the 03/04 Cobra comes in at 9.39lbs/hp (using the factory listed 390hp). Even if the WRX or RS4 jumps you off the line, it will not take long for the 03/04 cobra overtake either one as long as you can minimize tire spin.