PDA

View Full Version : heat cycling track tires

puzzle13
12-19-2006, 01:34 PM
What are your guys feelings about heat cycling track tires before use. I know that the Tire Rack's site says that without heat cycling a track tire can be worn out very prematurely. I have ordered some track tires, but they will not be heat cycled. I was told to put them on the car and drive them around town for about 15-20 minutes so they heat up, then to let them cool for a couple of days prior to track use. Is this true?

Sonic Blue
12-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Here's so good info

Taken from Kumho's site.

"Heat cycling helps you get the most consistent performance and tread life out of your tires. It is the process of gently bringing the tires up to temperature for a short duration and letting them cool. Ideally, you should break in your tires, remove them from your vehicle, and set them aside for more than 24 hours before your track sessions and races"

"The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules."