PDA

View Full Version : Starting Probelm Help!!

Tobra
12-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm needing your help!.. For some odd reason yesterday morning, I started it and it just died...and now the engine turns over very slowly, but makes a grinding noise "wreeeer wreeeer" when trying to start. The engine doesn't turn over. And it has this burning metal smell that fills the air after trying to start it several times. Does anyone live in the area near 290/beltway that could come listen to it or help me with the problem. Any help MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Tim

Firme
12-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Tim, it kind of sound like the starter gears are spinning and grinding into the flywheel? You might want to take the starter off and see what shape the gears are in.

blk04cobra1
12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Like Firme said, sounds like you burned up the starter...not a hard fix if you have some jack stands, little tight space, but can be done in the driveway...

Tobra
12-20-2006, 07:12 PM
thanks for the help I will take a look at the starter this weekend. Anyone attempt this job before? What to look out for and what not. Thanks again!

ausie
12-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I have replaced many starters in my time, but yet have not replaced one on a mustang Cobra.

You probably already know this: The only thing you should do before starter removal is to disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent electrical shorts if the positive feed to the starter or solenoid should touch any part of the chasis.

Tobra
12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Finally gave up, soo I took it to a shop, turns out it was the Cam and Crank sensor that was bad.
cost me freaking 350 for the job! :mad:
Oh well

ausie
12-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Ouch, that could have spelled trouble if you were able to fire it up. Since it was turning over, the smell may have been the starter motor heating up along with compressed air from the pistons. If the sensor is off line, the fuel injectors and coils will not fire. At least there was a fail safe mode that prevented spark at the wrong time or fuel filling the combustion chambers. :thumbsup: