PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up my DOHC valve covers

gcradic
01-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Hey Guys. I have my original SVT valve covers that I want to clean up and powder coat (or paint). They are starting to flake and have some surface scratches in them.

I though first about having them soda blasted, but can't find anyone locally that does it (Hersey, PA area).

I remember the "olden" days when engines were hot tanked in caustic soda to clean them up. I have access to caustic soda, but I heard that it will dissolve aluminum.

My biggest concern is the SVT build plate. While it would not be the end of the world if it came off (and stayed flat, so no scrapers!) I would rather it remain unscathed on the valve cover so I don't have to glue it back on.

Anybody ever re-do their valve covers or know someone that has? What is the recommended method?

I could also send them out to a reputable shop some knows.

Thanks!

ausie
01-04-2007, 06:44 AM
At one time, it was possible to obtain the build plate from SVT. I have also seen the engine builder tags on the Billetflow website. Since the valve cover is cast aluminum and probably extremely pourous you probably do not want to use chemicals that would react with the aluminum alloy. Media blasting may be one method to remove the paint (it may be possible to mask off the plate to prevent damage to it). I have seen others with modified valve covers (painted, polished, etc.). I would probably give CJ pony parts a call and see if they have any suggestions, or hook you up with a shop that will do what you want. They may be able to provide the plate as well in case that cannot be saved. May be worth a try.

99SVT3753
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I pulled both plates off mine when I replaced the engine and got new valve covers. Had mine done in Black to color match more of the car. Reinstalled with epoxy (but you can use Hi Temp Double Sided Tape just as well).

Tim

gcradic
01-05-2007, 06:28 AM
I pulled both plates off mine when I replaced the engine and got new valve covers. Had mine done in Black to color match more of the car. Reinstalled with epoxy (but you can use Hi Temp Double Sided Tape just as well).

Tim
So what did you use to remove the plate form the valve cover? The last time I tried to remove a thin aluminum tag, it curled to where you could tell it had been removed before and looked crappy when re-installed.

99SVT3753
01-05-2007, 10:02 AM
the plates aren't thin like paper .. they are thicker .. I used a paint scraper and slid it underneath ..

I can show you how mine turned out - they are still sitting on my work bench

Tim

gcradic
01-06-2007, 01:12 AM
the plates aren't thin like paper .. they are thicker .. I used a paint scraper and slid it underneath ..

I can show you how mine turned out - they are still sitting on my work bench

Tim
Yes, I would love to see them. I called SVT today and they said that they are not able to offer replacement build plates, so I have to preserve the plate I have.

ausie
01-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I found this on the billetflow website. Although they are not stamped or pressed with the signatures which is done by an arbor press. SVT is the only one that I know of that can press the signatures in the plates.

http://www.billetflow.com/DSCF0048.JPG

FYI: Try this trick, drive the car around to get the engine up to operating temperature and use a steel electric guitar string wrapped around two small wood blocks to remove the plate in a similar fashion that you would a windsheild. The thin wire should not distort the plate depending on how you use it. Even if the adhesive is high temperature, it will become softer when hot.

The other idea would be to get a hypodermic needle and syringe and inject adhesive solvent under the plate. Probably not worth the trouble.

nckissfan
01-06-2007, 10:56 AM
nice idea about the guitar string, the high "e" string would be the best for that trick

ausie
01-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Many would think of using piano wire but the guage is too thick. The E string can range from 0.008" up to 0.011" which is very thin and should do the job. Larger guages in the B string from 0.011" up to 0.15" and of course there is the G string typically 0.014" up to 0.018". Look for steel core, some may be made of bronze or nickle core.

nckissfan
01-06-2007, 11:24 AM
a good use for old strings, speaking of which, I need to change mine:D

ausie
01-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I normally use GHS Boomers. Been using that brand for almost 25 years, hard to believe it has been that long.... Too bad they no longer make Kahler type tremolos anymore, but that put to rest the chronic guitar buying syndrom I had back in my earlier years.

nckissfan
01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
yeah, I am a Boomer guy, too. I have tried others, but am satisfied with their quality.

Scott 96Cobra
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I used 60 pound fishing line to pull mine off - worked like a charm .....

99SVT3753
01-24-2007, 12:23 PM
lost this thread .. I'll have to post the pix I offered ..

now that my camera is charged .. LOL .. misplaced the charger :rolleyes:

Scott 96Cobra
01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Oh, and for those that may wish to pull their valve covers ..... not an easy task on a 4V.

Full tech article with pictures are on my engine page here >>>> http://www.scottwinger.com/2001-engine.html

You will see in THIS picture, the badges came off just fine.

http://www.scottwinger.com/i/baggies.jpg

nckissfan
01-25-2007, 04:11 PM
has anyone ever painted their MAF housing? I was thinking of painting mine silver to match the ceramic coated cai. I don't want to do it, if it will look stupid.

gcradic
01-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Oh, and for those that may wish to pull their valve covers ..... not an easy task on a 4V.

Full tech article with pictures are on my engine page here >>>> http://www.scottwinger.com/2001-engine.html

You will see in THIS picture, the badges came off just fine.

http://www.scottwinger.com/i/baggies.jpg
Thanks for the pic, everything looks great (and well organized):thumbsup: . This would have worked perfectly for me. Unfortunately, I sold my Cobra yesterday. Now I have a set of SVT valve covers, a JPC Racing 99 Cobra Extrude honed & hand polished intake manifold (upper/lower & TB) and a Fidanza AL 4v flywheel I can't use anymore.:(