PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks and springs

mikeharp
01-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm beginning to do the necessary upgrades to the body and IRS on my '04 Cobra convertible. I just had Maximum Motorsports' full-length subframe connectors installed. Will have their front shock-tower brace and a rear shock-tower brace installed this Friday; Also am installing a Kenne Bell kit that will add about 100 horses at the same time (switch chip, cold air, 2.75 pulley, boost-a-pump). I've also installed 17 x 10.5 rear wheels with 315/35zr-17 Sumitomos; they give it the look the factory should have.

The next step in making it handle and launch (without that awful wheel hop) is installing Maximum Motorsports' full rear Delrin and aluminum grip package ($974). At the same time I do this, I'm going to replace the soft converible rear springs with the higher-rate rear springs which I just purchased.

My question for the group is --- what new rear shocks should I get to match the springs -- remember the convertible is several hundred pounds heavier than the coupe, so I'm guessing I can't just use the factory coupe shocks? Has anybody done this, and what shocks work best?

scrmngdave
01-07-2007, 07:20 PM
As long as you use an adjustable shock, you will have good results. I have used the QA1 adj rear shocks on customer cars and use them on my own personal terminator and have had really good results with them. :thumbsup:
Dave

InfamousSVT
01-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Like said above, most with the IRS have used the adjustable shocks by QA1 with great success! Good luck.

smashedheadcat
01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
The sumitomos are way too hard of a compound for serious traction. Hopefully you just spin otherwise you may lose some fillings in your teeth due to wheel hop. :D