PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy Inspection...

97CasperCobra
01-06-2007, 04:51 PM
So today I went to get the SVTF inspected. The inspector brings the Focus into the shop and about 10 minutes later comes around the building to where I was sitting. He tells me of two "problems". One is my tint is too dark on the front two windows. Says the tint is 14% and legal limit is 20%, yet I've never had a problem with cops and this Shell station is who inspected it last year.

Second problem is he says my power steering pump has a front seal that is leaking and fluid is "everywhere". Says he can write me an estimate and get it done today. I say no thanks, I'll do it myself. So I have 15 days to get this stuff done and go back.

Get home, open up the hood, get a flashlight out and inspect the power steering pump, resevoir and engine bay for signs of leakage. There is NO fluid coming from the pump or the resevior at all. Everything has the right amount of dust/grime/grease as the rest of the engine bay.

WTF!?!?!?!? Now I just have to figure out how to get my money back and possibly report them for making false claims. :mad:

tazzracing1
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I would report them. I know this could be a problem when I was stationed in Colorado.

SuperG
01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I would report them. I know this could be a problem when I was stationed in Colorado.Go back and tell them to finish the inspection or you will report them. Say it in front of their customers. If you get ANY bunk from them, tell me and I'll get the DOT on them.

97CasperCobra
01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Go back and tell them to finish the inspection or you will report them. Say it in front of their customers. If you get ANY bunk from them, tell me and I'll get the DOT on them.

damn Gary...you're the man!! Didn't know you had DOT connections. :thumbsup:

SuperG
01-07-2007, 10:01 AM
damn Gary...you're the man!! Didn't know you had DOT connections. :thumbsup:
It's good to have friends in low places...

93KingCobra
01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
They had a special on like Dateline or something like that about Jiffy Lube doing stuff like that...That just chaps my hyde.. :mad:

Larry95
01-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I did get a warning ticket for window tint in the Harley last year. So it can happen.

97CasperCobra
01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Royce(friend to Larry and Rachel Frank) looked at the power steering stuff today and confirmed that there is NOTHING wrong with the whole assembly. I'm going up to the Shell station tomorrow.

If I have to rip off the tint, then I will....but for them to make a false claim on the power steering stuff is really uncalled for. :mad:

spitfire
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Royce(friend to Larry and Rachel Frank) looked at the power steering stuff today and confirmed that there is NOTHING wrong with the whole assembly. I'm going up to the Shell station tomorrow.

If I have to rip off the tint, then I will....but for them to make a false claim on the power steering stuff is really uncalled for. :mad:If the windows is power, roll them down and take the fuse out. Tell them it's broke. There is no law that says you have to have side windows anyway!

97CasperCobra
01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
If the windows is power, roll them down and take the fuse out. Tell them it's broke. There is no law that says you have to have side windows anyway!

damn...that's a good idea, but I already failed that and it's on the report. I'll remember that for next time..... :thumbsup:

Blownsvtlightning
01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
It's good to have friends in low places...

Your connection wouldn't be a guy by the name Fitzhugh would it? He is head of the emission testing for Houston wtih the DPS.

If the windows is power, roll them down and take the fuse out. Tell them it's broke. There is no law that says you have to have side windows anyway!

It can be failed for that.. If the windows are there they have to be inspected. It's not whether they are being used or not, it's if they are on a car operated on a public highway.

97CasperCobra
02-01-2007, 01:17 AM
got it done this past weekend. Took it to another place to get the tint checked....was 14% so I took the front two windows off. They checked the power steering pump, had some grime but no leaks. Sprayed it with some brake cleaner and drove it around for a week and brought it back to Shell.

"Can I get my car re-inspected??"

"Did you replace the power steering pump??"

"I cleaned it and it wasn't leaking at all."

"ok"

The inspector never once opened the hood to check..... :doubt: