PDA

View Full Version : Ford had it for 4 model years than gave it away.

ausie
01-09-2007, 06:35 AM
I was looking at the concept car stuff when first logging on to the net. There was this familiar sight similar to a 69 Camaro but going to be released in 2008 so they say. Even though GM killed the Australlian GTO, they will be using the IRS set up for the new Camaro. I read the article unbiased up to a point where they compared this new but old looking car to that of the mustang with similar traits (nothing wrong with the retro, I am still waiting for the Dodge Challenger to emerge). What was stated in the article "unlike Mustang, the new Camaro will have an independent rear suspension". Hold the press you moron..... how quicly they forget about the 99 to 04 Mustang Cobra's, alright I may agree that they were limited production vehicles and that the new concept is just that, a concept. Perhaps that may be good news if that pushes Ford to do the same on the new platform Mustang and I do believe there have been rumors for the IRS return as an option. When that time comes when the big three pony cars are out for comparrison (assuming they make it that far), will ford remain king of the road or not? This type of war I do like to read about. :thumbsup:

Firme
01-09-2007, 06:43 AM
The only thing that worries me, is that Ford has been dropping the ball alot lately. Although I personally preffer an IRS car, I thing soley offering IRS on a pony car is a big mistake (Ford offering the option is ideal). The majority of the buyers are still looking to take a trip down the old 1320, and its hard to make a drag car that is crazy fast $$ for $$ on IRS vs Solid axle.

ausie
01-09-2007, 07:14 AM
I would not disagree with that.

At a cost stand point, the option for IRS would make more sense anyway.
Even though I stick to the street, I still find myself barreling down the fractional mile. Where else can you have fun with the car legally and get a speeding ticket that cost nothing out of pocket except for the entrance fee.

Without a doubt I am sure the SLA would have more merrit on the quarter mile for durablility and performance. Even on most streets it would be a good performer.

smashedheadcat
01-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Good riddins to the IRS in my opinion. I know a lot of people like them, but the current IRS we have is just a wheel hopping pile of garbage.

Aaron94
02-06-2007, 02:06 AM
I think the new mustang needs to go on a major diet to be competitive with either the challenger/camaro, or any other current offering these days.

It could also use a less cheap feeling interior... at least on the upper models.

I would like to see the shelby, or whatever ford wants to call the premium mustang, be something very different in and out than the standard mustang or GT. Not just a bigger motor, more weight, an interior trim package, and a sticker stripe package (seriously though, for over 50k, can we get the stripes actually painted on?).

Mustangs, and the current shelby are cool cars, dont get me wrong, I love em. But they are heavy and bulky.

/rant off ;)

JROC
02-06-2007, 03:41 AM
I think IRS should be offered as an opinion, but no at the expense of Ford doing away with the solid rearend.

Staight axles are great. :thumbsup:

Jamo
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Good riddins to the IRS in my opinion. I know a lot of people like them, but the current IRS we have is just a wheel hopping pile of garbage.
Are you thinking in terms of dragstrip use or in terms of daily driving?

flynfink
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Only at the dragstrip, Josh. Only place I get hop. I have driven my 99 on the open track and many miles down the interstate and many more on back roads. Much preferred over my 94's solid axle for ride comfort and control.

That said, I diet would help.

ausie
02-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Either you like the IRS or you do not. IF at all it returns to the mustang more than likely it will be an option and not standard.

I like the IRS on my 04, even at the drag strip it has not been a problem where I have already spun the tires probably past 30 feet on some launches without any hop. That may be due to running only street tires and not DR's.

XCOBRAX
02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
It's not fair to compare the IRS on recent Mustangs to what will be on the new ones.

Let's remember that the problems we experiance with the IRS on the cars we have now is not because IRS is a bad idea...It's because Ford put it in a car that was never designed for it. It's just bad geometry.

ausie
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Perhaps you are right on that one. However, if the rear suspension is designed correctly, having a modular construction would also make sense. The cage for the IRS used on the Cobra's does add weight but it also adds some strenght as well. I would rather have a tubular frame than stamped steel. I am not sure how they do it with the Corvette since I never crawled under one to find out. Without a doubt, I am sure Ford could improve the IRS with more R&D time.

Back to the topic at hand from the original thread, I finnaly saw the concept vehicle at the Philadelphia car show with an added bonus of the Dodge Challenger. The Camaro was interesting to look at and since it was rotating on an elevated platform it did not take much to see the rear suspension components. Considering this was only a concept car it was okay. However, if they put that into production, think of a 69 having a drop top with a body thickness of that of the Dodge Magnum. Only the rear quarter panels of the car reminded me of the 69 but the front end seemed a bit bulky and too similar to the Cadillac. I talked to the rep who was standing with the car. He seemed to be able to provide some of the technical information to the previous person who asked questions but he was not prepared to answer my questions :D . I got him totally stumped. I simply asked "has chevrolet been able to dial out the wheel hop issue that plagued the GTO that many owners have had issues with since the IRS platform used in the GTO found its way into the Camaro? I had to explain to this guy what was meant by IRS and at that point I knew I was not going to get any answer to the question that would satisfy my curiosity. "it is still under development" was fair enough.

In my books the true show stopper was the Dodge Challenger. It looked better in real life than what I saw in graphic renderings. I think the concept looked better than the Original challenger. Surprisingly the concept stayed more true to the original challenger and did not have the truck like grill which is poised on the Charger, Magnum, and the 300. The body lines on that car were awesome. If they put that into production, it would be one that I would buy. The interior of the Challenger was really cool too. Sort of remenicent of the early 70's Cuda but far more comparable to the Lotus in terms of how the seats looked. Even the rear seats appeard as if an adult could sit n them without being cramped. That was surely an impressive show piece. :thumbsup: What ever the rolling chasis the body was sitting on, it also had an IRS setup. That was one thing that was not listed as part of the vehicle in any of the written articles I have read. I liked the challenger so much it was almost enought to make me a MOPAR fan.

Too bad Ford did not incorporate some of the body lines in the rear that were common to the 69 mustang (the 05+ model is a bit too flat). 2009 is a few years away so Ford has time to improve the visual cues of the Mustang. They may have done a good job on strenghening the chasis, hopefully they will spend some more time on appearance.

Once you design the chasis for just IRS, it would probably be difficult to change over to SLA if that is what you desire to have. It basically boils down to your intended application. SLA works well for drag strip and autocross racing. The IRS will improve handling when used for autocross but may not be suitable for the drag strip. My 2001 Cobra was definately a wheel hopper and did so every time I attempted to spin the rear when accelerating in a straigh line (wet or dry) but with enough control it would drift on turns perfectly. My 2004 Cobra is almost perfect and rarely hops unless the roads are wet (depends on the tires I have on the car and how cold it is). Perhaps it is my experience with my 01 that has trained me not to purposly smoke the tires. I have on rare occasion lefts some marks on the street and not had any issues with the dreaded hop. Most of the time I try to prevent spinning the rear end and going to the drag stip has helped me improve on my launching technique. Eventhough I like drag racing my vehicle, I spend more time pushing the limits of my tires on the back roads and on/off ramps of highways.