PDA

View Full Version : No More 411 events

Hazman
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Well folks all good things must come to an end and I guess 411 was just too good! :( The 411 Speedway will be converted back to a dirt track in February. This means we no longer have a venue for our events. I appreciate everyone who has attended over the past few years and made these events so much fun!:D

97whitevert
01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Bummer, I was looking forward to taking the SVO there this year....:(

mojosvt
01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Kind of lost for words....It was a nice blend of cone course and just little touch of speed! I guess I will really miss the people. Us Buckeyes might just have to make a trip somewhere to play with the taxi's and kickass vette's somewhere else

TonyBolton
01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
I think all these astrick's sum it up. ***** ****, and ***** with a little bit of **** wrapped up in a big pile of ****.

Bill Howell
01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey guys, I have never registered here since I don't have a mustang, but do lurk here from time to time.
Tony posted this link over on my board, and man is this bad news.
Hazman, send me a pm with all the info you have on this.
Dirt track anyway.....WTH???? what are they thinking?

TonyBolton
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey Bill, if you can keep it asphalt, there is a lifetime free entry fee watin' for'ya! ;)

Hazman
01-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Bill I appreciate your thoughts and concerns. Doug the owner of the track has been good to us the past few years and we have really enjoyed running at 411. However I do understand his position. He is a business man with a property that is not returning much $$$ for his investment. The facility was a dirt track originally and did well. After conversion to asphalt it has struggled to say the least. Dirt tracks are the most popular venues in this area and with the closing of Atomic Speedway Doug has a very very good chance to draw in displaced racers and their fans. As much as I hate to lose the venue I understand his position and wish him well.

Now if you know anyone with enough $$$ to buy the place that might be another story. The fellow who rented it for racing last year would still be interested and we could follow Bristol's lead and have AX every week just like going to drag strip. $15 for 3 runs and $5 for extra runs. Run what you brung!:D

Bill Howell
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
so the guy that was renting it last year is out now? The owner is not renewing his lease? or he is just not renewing it? Regardless of his reasoning, I am not sure dirt track will fly in Seymour anymore. too much pollution.

budjrfan
01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
sick 'em bill.......... :thumbsup:

well we could always make laps for charity @ Bristol

heard it rents pretty cheap if you have the insurance and we could have it all day. ;)

Jason
01-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Holy ****! :(

cobrabitn
01-10-2007, 07:36 AM
The 411 is always a blast...let's just hold off final decisions till February and see what happens. A lot can happen between now and then and it may have a turn of events.

Of course, there's always some real wide open fun like CMP on the 10th and 11th of March. If you have never been to one of these SCMC events, you don't know what you are missing. While the 411 cost less to run, you may want to start saving your pennies for an event that is a ton of more fun. Try running your car for 25 minutes at WOT instead of 62 seconds. I'm sure others can chime in here........and the Friday and Saturday night gatherings are alway memorable! :thumbsup:

TonyBolton
01-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, with some of my budget money free'd up now, it looks like i'm on a quicker path to competing in some Track Trials and Hillclimbs. I just need to buy my fire suit. :mad:

01badz28
01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I've forwarded this information to a friend of mine I went to law school with who lives in one of those small neighborhoods near 411. He also has two very small children, so I'll see if I can get him stirred up (along with the neighbors).

Hazman
01-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Folks before you go jumping on the people at 411 think about the situation. The track is not making $$$ as an asphalt track. It made $$$ when it was dirt. One of the big dirt tracks in the area just announced they are closing (Atomic). Does not cost much to go back to dirt and the revenues go up.

Now local folks get organized because some car folks don't want to see the track go dirt. They protest and contact their local officals because the track is going to generate too much dust. If they are successful at their celebration meeting someone says you know I don't like noise from there either we stopped the dust let's stop the noise too. We already have the officals going our way. Win number 2 comes along and the band wagon is really rolling. Wow you know that dragstrip next door is loud too and the smell from those cars is bad and it cause more traffic on our road we need to do something about that place too! They start putting pressure on the local officals about the dragstrip as well going for win #3!!

Mean while a local real estate developer has been watching all this and maybe throwing a little $$$ to some local officals as well as some hints that a nice new devopment would be a lot better for the local economy than those washed up race tracks and oh you won't have to deal with all these phone calls, letters and such any more. Then BAM all of a sudden no 411 Raceway, no 411 Drag strip now you have the new 411 Quiet Meadows subdivision complete with a greenway walking path and noise / speed nazis making sure all the cars in the area are hybrids!!:eek:

Be careful what you ask for you might get more than you wanted. Race tracks in surburban areas are endangeded facilities as it is. Atomic is closing just because the land is worth more than they make off the racing there!:(

TonyBolton
01-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd rather lose the site to a subdivision, than to have them turn it into a dirt track.

01badz28
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I'd rather lose the site to a subdivision, than to have them turn it into a dirt track.
:stupid:

If I lived there, i'd also have a fit about the problems with airborne dust. Thats why I told my friend - he has more reason to ***** than we do.

HPT BANDIT
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I know it's a long shot but any chance we can get one last run in before the end of the month?

LeadSSled
01-15-2007, 03:01 PM
This news just plain sucks. These were my favorite events every year. :(

Now if you know anyone with enough $$$ to buy the place that might be another story.
How much? I'm buying a Lotto ticket on the way home...

I think that the dirt will screw up the drag strip too. Nothing like a nice layer of dust (or mud) to improve traction. :rolleyes: And it will make a nice coating on our cars while we are there at the strip while the dirt track is running.