PDA

View Full Version : 97 cobra dead battery ????

blackcobra
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I have a 97 cobra that I bought in october of this year , i'm having a problem with the battery going flat after it has sat for like 2 or 3 days . a couple things about the car it has a brand new battery that i put in as well as a new alternator ,so the charging system is all good an tested out fine when tested. the car had a after market viper alarm installed sometime before I purchased it an i was thinking maybe the alarm was puting a draw on the battery ? don't know for sure . has anyone had a problem like this and if so what should I look for to figure it out ? thanks Rob :mad:

Eric_red94
01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
The alarm shouldn't draw down your battery that quick unless it has a problem. Find somebody that is slick with regards to finding electrical problems or you might go insane trying to figure it out. Could be one of about a hundred things.

nckissfan
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
my 89 lx daily driver does the same thing. It started doing this after I replaced the headlight bulbs. I bought the same type bulb, but halogen style.

blk04cobra1
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I would check and make sure your alternator is putting out enough volts...like EricRed said, it could be a number of things...:thumbsup:

tazzracing1
01-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Make sure the amps aren't staying on this is check with just pulling the fuse and see if the battery stays up.

blackcobra
01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
when you say amps I assume that you are talking about the radio ? I will check it . it's was 9 degrees here in vermont this am!!! brrrrr so the snake is under cover I still have time before good weather is back , and to figure it out . thanks ..

Make sure the amps aren't staying on this is check with just pulling the fuse and see if the battery stays up.

cobrabitn
01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
If you don't plan on doing anything this winter to the car, you can always disconnect the battery till you are ready to fire it back up. That will stop it from draining the battery.

My guess is the alarm system if it didn't do it before but it does it now. Something is probably still on or it is not hooked up correctly.

VenomSVT
01-11-2007, 10:20 PM
What a coincidence!:eek: I need to get an electrical check on mine too, because something drained my new battery also. I just disconnect the battery when I don't drive it.:thumbsup:

ausie
01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
One thing to consider after replacing a battery is that what you get may not be all that good. They have a shelf life. The electrolyte in the battery (sulfuric acid) may be weak (depending on what type of battery it is). One thing to check with a new battery is the cells by removing the vent caps. If you see the plates you need to add some distilled water (slowly). Then start up the car to recharge the battery. If the cells are still wet and not dry, it could be that the battery was never fully charged. A weak battery may measure 12v but may not deliver the amperage when needed.

flynfink
01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Alarm...

I use a Battery Tender Jr. since I travel alot and don't use the car as my DD anymore.. $29 AT Pep Boys. Also use one on my MC since it has an alarm.

blackcobra
01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
thanks . the battery is new and is good at first I thought it may be the problem but exchanged it for a 2nd new 1 and still did the same thing . as for my viper alarm I have pulled the fuse and going to see if it makes a diffrence in a few days on how it starts and then go from there . what are some inexspensive up grades that can be done to my cobra to get a few more ponies out of it .. it already has bbk x pipe with flow master 40's and mac cold air intake ????? any ideas other than a blower. thanks rob:bounce:

blk04cobra1
01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks . the battery is new and is good at first I thought it may be the problem but exchanged it for a 2nd new 1 and still did the same thing . as for my viper alarm I have pulled the fuse and going to see if it makes a diffrence in a few days on how it starts and then go from there . what are some inexspensive up grades that can be done to my cobra to get a few more ponies out of it .. it already has bbk x pipe with flow master 40's and mac cold air intake ????? any ideas other than a blower. thanks rob:bounce:
Rob, unfortunately mods and inexpensive dont always go together, but here are a few:

1)throttle body
2)underdrive pullies
3)small shot of nitrous :thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

STANGBUM
01-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Hello BLACKCOBRA,
I had the same problem ...bought new battery, alternator, etc etc.
At the same time my radio was acting up.......sometimes I would turn it off only to still here it, sometimes just would not turn on and various other little things. But when the car set for 2 or 3 days the battery would go.
So about a month ago bought another Radio (used ) and installed it, now the battery can go for weeks, even in real cold weather and still have a charge. So I suspect the radio was my problem.
Just something to look at maybe !!!!!!

blackcobra
01-18-2007, 02:48 PM
yes I thinking the same thing . I pulled a fuse that powers my viper alarm and controls the cd player . and I'm not sure which one is responsible for the drain but it's been fine for over a week now ??? so maybe the cd player is causing it not sure yet . when I get more time I want to remove the sterio and see what the wiring looks like as the pervious owner had some kind of aftermarket system in there . there is still wiring in the trunk from the sub's and main power feed . o well . thats what happens when you buy a used car some times . but other than that little problem this cvar is sweet . 1997 cobra blk/blk :bounce: with 60000 miles