PDA

View Full Version : Best Tire Size

03cobra4me
01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
What would be the best tire size/rim size for a 2003 Cobra? It would be a daliy driver and also for around town racer...anyone input would be greatly appreciated :cool:

blk04cobra1
01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
What would be the best tire size/rim size for a 2003 Cobra? It would be a daliy driver and also for around town racer...anyone input would be greatly appreciated :cool:
If you're still on the stock rims, I would stick with a 275/40/17, possibly the BFG KDW 2's or Goodyear GS-D3, but there's plenty of options...you can go up to a 315 in the Nitto Drag radial, but it's probably not the "best" for a daily driver, all though some do use them :thumbsup:

puzzle13
01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
The Goodyear GS-D3 are good for daily driving and are really good in the rain. They don't stick too well and I have the 315's on the back. They tend to be a bit pricey and not sure how many miles you will get ... depends upon your foot.

ausie
01-17-2007, 07:53 AM
That is a very good question. I too am on a quest to find the best all around tire that would fit a stock wheel. I could recommend what would be great for an 18x10 and 18x8.5 wheel since I found some really good tires that are perfect in the rain, or heavy down poor and still provide excellent traction in the dry and even the quarter mile. Toyo Proxes T1-R. I am dissappointed they do not have them in a 275/40-17. Best ET on a stock Cobra (except for cat-back) 12.597 @ 110mph. That whole day I was running in the 12's. The tires I had before them were the Toyo Proxes T1-S and they were grippy all the way to baldness. The T1-R's I still have survived 24 passes and one summer season and have plenty of life left to do it all over again. One thing that surprised me was that they retained grip in the cold and on some frosted streets I found by accident (not a winter tire). So far the only tire I had on a stock wheel was the firestone FH Wide Ovals. The wear is average, traction is very good in the heat but suffers some when temps drop below 60's. After 10k miles on them they tend to let the rear loose esily. Not very good in the rain either. I have heard good comments on Falken 452's, Khumo's and others. Mickey Thompson was supposed to have released a street tire that has a similar tread design as the BFG KDW2's but yet have not found them. The BFG KDW2 tread design is not available in the 275/40-17 size. It may be now but at the time I last looked it was not. What I heard about the KDW2 is that they work best after warming them up.

ausie
01-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Found the MT's but they do not have a size for the 17's. However they do have the ET streets that would fit the in the 275/40-17 but they are a drag radial.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/sportsman_sr_rear.jpg

blk04cobra1
01-17-2007, 09:56 AM
According to BFG's webpage they do make them in a 275/40/17, but you'll probably have to order them :thumbsup:

ausie
01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
I just got a reply on the Michey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires. They would not be suitable for a Cobra. They are basically show type tires made from hard rubber compound with a speed rating of 130mph max. :( At least it did not cost anything to ask the questions.

Blk03Venom
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I have Firestone Firehawk Ovals 285/40/17. I love 'em. Good for daily driving and smoking other cars. They grip well in the dry and wet weather, and the price is awesome with the road hazard warranty. This is my second set. Just an idea.