PDA

View Full Version : ELIMINATING wheel hop on the IRS COBRA

jeffS.
01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm trying to eliminate wheel-hop on my 04 Cobra. So far all I've done for this is install Mickey Thompson drag radials. here's what I have in mind so far. (1)MM upper and lower control arm bushings. (2)MM urethane subframe bushings. (3)MM urethane differential mounts. (4)Billetflow IRS brace. Please chime in if you have any thoughts or experience with these or related parts combinations. I want the hop eliminated but I don't want to waste money on overkill parts. I've also heard both good and bad about JDM's pinion snubber, again if I don't need it I don't want it! any help would be great, thank you.

cobrabitn
01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
On my 99 Cobra, I lowered it a little which I think the 03/04 can still go down a little more, I installed Steeda bushings and that pretty much did it for me. My hop was virtually eliminated on the street. (It would spin but not hop) For the track, a good set of Nittos 555 darg radials and again the hop was 99% eliminated. Every now and then, it would do it at launch.

Some swear by an IRS brace, others swear about other components to get it to quit but I would try to check out another car that doesn't hop at the track/street and see what they have done to theirs. Wish I could be of more help... :(

puzzle13
01-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Let's see ... I have replaced all of the bushings on the control arms, differential, etc. with Steeda poly bushings. I also added Steeda sport springs which lowered the car, the irs / diff brace, MM full length sub frame connects, & MM shock tower brace. It pretty much stopped the wheel hop with a standard size tire, but then I put on the 17 X 10.5 rim with a 315/35 tire and I still experience wheel hop. I have not tried really sticky tires, but did just purchase track tires which grip much better. I did not try a hard take off as they are for the track. I may try the Nitto drag radials, but I believe there will always be some hop ... you just have to learn how to minimize it with your take off.

blk04cobra1
01-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I would do this...if you have the funds, do them all....

1) Poly bushings
2) Full length sub frames
3) Springs (H&R, Steeda, Eibach, etc)
4) IRS brace (not for hop, just for prevention)

there's always more you can do...just ask and we can help :thumbsup:

ausie
01-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Sorry for this reply since it will not help you....

I have done nothing to my IRS, car is still at same ride height it was from the factory.

Wheel hop is non-existant on dry pavement, and at the track (I stay out of the water box since I only run the street tires). I have spun the tires on the launch pad many times for almost the full 60 ft without hop. I have had a slight shudder in the rain when pulling out but that seems to be a factor of the tires.

However, in all respects to this thread, increasing the hardness of the bushings for the differential case will help and/or prevent damage to the aluminum housing in the event of wheel hop should it occur again. The brace will also strenghten the support for the differential cover since it is connected to the IRS frame. In my oppinion, the bushings and brace will not eliminate wheel hop but it will reduce the chance of eliminating the differential housing.

For some reason, I believe it is more of a factor of the spring rates used, type of dampers (shocks). I have noticed a big difference between the 01 and 04 in comparisson where my 01 hopped at any sign of tire slip but it also had softer spring rates in the rear than the factory equipt 04. Lowering the rear end down to remove the anlge of the rear axle shaft will help some. Another issue is how well is the vehicle load transfered to the rear tires.

InfamousSVT
01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Get a Solid Axle :D , the only way to completely elimate it! :thumbsup:

PNFCobra
01-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, I have done the full length frame connectors, lowering springs, and diff brace. So far I have not seen any reduction in wheel hop. I am at the point where I guess I will just live with it...Springs made it look better though.:)

BadMoFo
01-21-2007, 06:30 PM
here is a pretty good thread from svtp that pretty much covers all things about wheel hop and how to eliminate it. hope this helps.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900&highlight=red+pill

BIGV
01-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, I have done the full length frame connectors, lowering springs, and diff brace. So far I have not seen any reduction in wheel hop. I am at the point where I guess I will just live with it...Springs made it look better though.:)Try the sub frame bushings and the diff bushings that should help also the front bolts are the wrong size from the factory they are 12 mm not the 14 mm. I am doing my bushings now and found the front bolts are 12mm. Next step is the irs brace and subframe connectors

scrmngdave
01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
here is a pretty good thread from svtp that pretty much covers all things about wheel hop and how to eliminate it. hope this helps.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900&highlight=red+pill

:thumbsup: This is an awesome recipe for success. I have used Steeda bushings, Rear Diff brace, and QA1 adj shocks, but the basic idea is still the same. I have several customer cars and my own cobra all 600+rwhp with no wheel hop. I am a big advocate for keeping the IRS vs solid axle swap, and have spent my own money and time testing all these components and it works when properly installed and set-up for less money than it costs to swap! If I can help in any way, shoot me a PM.
Dave

BadMoFo
01-21-2007, 11:25 PM
hey Dave saw a thread where a guy was using that tool to do the control arm bushings, said it took it from a 4 hr job to a 30 min job. hopefully when taxes come in you'll find out. :thumbsup:

puzzle13
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Are you using the QA1 adjustable shocks on the rear only? Where can you get these shocks and is there a preferred setting to lessen the wheel hop?

Thanks for the info.

scrmngdave
01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Are you using the QA1 adjustable shocks on the rear only? Where can you get these shocks and is there a preferred setting to lessen the wheel hop?

Thanks for the info.
We are using the QA1's in the rear only. They are usually set on the 3rd click off full soft for the street, then go to full soft for the track. I purchase all of my QA1 stuff through Steeda(Pat Kinder), but you may want to check with some the clubs vendors to see what they can get them for you for.
Dave:thumbsup:

scrmngdave
01-23-2007, 10:59 PM
hey Dave saw a thread where a guy was using that tool to do the control arm bushings, said it took it from a 4 hr job to a 30 min job. hopefully when taxes come in you'll find out. :thumbsup:
Cool man, We'll give'em a shot. I'll pass the savings back to ya!
Dave

nvenm8u
02-02-2007, 03:11 AM
I went through the same dilemma. I changed all the bushings, added all the braces, adjustable shocks, drag radials, springs and prayer. In the end I tried a couple airbags and it's finally gone. I didn't even have to put very much air in them. The car launches excellent regardless of the tire or condition of the surface. Just my $0.02....:thumbsup:

puzzle13
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I always wanted to try that, but never could find any. Any information on the ones you used?

nvenm8u
02-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I always wanted to try that, but never could find any. Any information on the ones you used?
I got mine from LaurelMountainMustang.com . They had the best price I found. $25 a piece. I got two. I think they call them Drag Launch Air Bags or something. If you call they will know what your talking about.:thumbsup:

puzzle13
02-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks!! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Mike,

You try them out and if you like them I'll get a set for my 04! :thumbsup:

John Himsel
02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Ditto on the QA1s........I have MM full length subs, diff brace, rear shock tower brace, bushings, springs......you name it .....I've done it to my car.

The biggest single gain in reducing wheel hop was the QA1 Drag Shocks.

Hope this helps.

puzzle13
02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey Tony,

I may just order those and try them out. Hey ... you want those rims for your truck? They will make it look studly and it might even help your aura! I might even throw in the air bags for your 04. :bounce::bounce:

cobrabitn
02-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Are you sure you're not a shoe saleaman? :rotf: I'm going to pass on the wheels so Burke will have to look at my ugly a** stock wheels; although I don't think they look ugly. ;) Let me know how the bags work out on the street as I might want to invest in that...