PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! $610 is that to much

cobra01nate
01-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey guys just wondering if a quote for $610 is alot for rear gears. That $610 includes both parts and labor. What do you think

cobrabitn
01-19-2007, 11:03 PM
I think you better jump on it especially if you own an 01 Cobra. I think it usually runs from $800.00 and up for an IRS car...

tazzracing1
01-20-2007, 05:04 PM
very good price.

Lumpydogs
01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
with Parts and Labor (Labour for our Canadian Friends) is good price.

I found a few rear end places around here that wouldn't even work on
my IRS car.

Playtme
01-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey guys just wondering if a quote for $610 is alot for rear gears. That $610 includes both parts and labor. What do you think

Where do you live? I was quoted $1000 all included here.

cobra01nate
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Where do you live? I was quoted $1000 all included here.

I live in San Diego, Ca

ggrab
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
$610 sound reasonable to me. $1000 sounds like way too much. I did the gear change on my '94 (solid axle). Here are my opinions based in my experience.

I would ask what parts are included in the gear swap. I would not have the gears changed without including the complete gear installation kit which includes the carrier bearings, pinion bearing, pinion seal, shims etc. If any of the bearings go bad later, you will need to pay for most of the labor again to change them. Some people recommend replacing the wheel bearings (at the end of the axles, near the wheels) at the same time. Unless your car has high miles, I wouldn't bother. Replacing the wheel bearings does not require complete dissassembly of the rear, just removal of the cover (and therefore the fluid) and the C-clips, followed by the axles. Part prices should be close to those listed below

Ring and Pinion: $160+ (varies with ratio. 3.73 tends to be the cheapest)
Installation Kit: $90+ (not including wheel bearings/seals)
Synthetic Fluid: $25+
Friction Modifier: $5 (this is a must, be sure it is included)

Note: If you have high miles (or a lot of hard driving), a rebuild of the traction-lok unit may also be in order. The parts for the rebuild are about $50. I do not know about labor.

That's close to $300 in parts, leaving a little over $300 for labor. Based on the fact that this job requires some expensive specialized tools, a fair amount of knowledge, and a bit of plain old hard work, I would say the around $300 for labor is very reasonable. Of course the perception of reasonable can vary widely depending on your location and your personal opinion. Everyone tells me I'm cheap, so if I think the price is reasonable, it usually is.

George

rpalmer
01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't know what book is on the job but I was quoted 8 hours of labor for the IRS gear swap.

-RP

P Machy
01-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Dang...and here I thought $350.00 was too much.

I bought my completely stock Termee used back in May of 06 and it had a vibration around 70 ~ 85mph. I swapped out to 4.10's and the vibration moved from the mentioned to 60 ~ 75mph zone...granted now that I see $350.00 isnt too much to pay, I fixed most of the vibration by rotating the D/S 180*'s myself.

If the shop can guarantee that you will leave their shop free of any vibration and a good properly set ring & pinion...I guess the price is worth it if there is no headaches attached with it. I had a friend who just went back to his stock 3.55's since his vibration was pretty much un-fixable.

ggrab
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
cobrao1nate,

I was looking at my response to your question and realized that we never did get confirmation on the year of your car. If you do have the IRS in your car, some of the things that I mentioned apply, while others do not. All of my experience is with 5.0 engines, T5 tranny's, and solid 8.8 axles (and a 7.5 axle that I blew to pieces). I tend to forget about the changes on the newer cars. Sorry for any confusion.

George

hawkti
01-24-2007, 07:45 AM
I live in Poquoson, VA. I read your comments about 800 and up and was like,,,DAMN. I feel for you. It must be the cost of living around where you live. I have a 01 IRS, and was lucky enough to find a shop that specializes in Mustangs. He gave me a quote of 525. That's parts and labor. So I feel lucky as sh*t.:woot:

CJchronic
03-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I got the 3.73's installed on my 01 for $550. That was parts and labor. After the install there was a vibration around 80-100mph. My mechanic said it was the higher RPM's effecting the stock driveshaft. I installed an aluminum driveshaft, and it runs as smooth as silk. Anyway $625 isn't too bad.

cobrabitn
03-17-2007, 07:41 AM
You got a good deal...glad you are happy with it. It really wasn't your driveshaft that was the problem, it was the indexing of the driveshaft. The shaft needed to be rotated to smoothen out the vibe. Just a little FYI there.

Glad you got it fixed! :thumbsup:

WVSNS&
03-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Paid $250 labor. Paid summit for the frpp gears, think it was $199 or so.

john