PDA

View Full Version : 5.4 Truck Engine Coils

ggrab
01-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I know this is not a Cobra related post, but I would guess that many of you also have a Ford truck, as I do. Mine is a 1999 Expedition with a 5.4. It has 163,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems until two weeks ago. It developed a misfire which was diagnosed as a bad coil on cylinder #5. I replaced the coil and all 8 sparks plugs since they were about due for a change anyway. This week it started to misfire again. This time it was cylinder #1. I decided to replace all 8 coils and be done with it, especially since the coils on these engines are known for having problems. The reason for my post is to let you all know that Accel has just recently started making a high performace coil for these engines. The best part is that they only cost $27.39 each(from Summit). Advance, NAPA and others can not come close to this price on stock equivalent type coils (prices ranged from around $40 to around $70 each when I checked). I put the Accel coils on tonight and the truck is running great again. It hasn't idled so smoothly in a long time.

ausie
01-20-2007, 10:22 AM
That is good to know. Knowing of an alternate source is good information. :thumbsup: At least you cured the miss-fire issue. Another item if it occurs again would be to inspect the injector wire harness plugs since that will cause the same code to pop up if they become loose or have a poor connection.

I had a squirrel problem with my 96 Exploder. It chewed through the wire harness to free a walnut that it dropped in a tight space on top of the engine. Code came up showing miss-fire on #2 so while attempting to remove plug I noticed the chewed wire harness which was not an easy repair to make and got a free baked walnut for my troubles.

ggrab
01-21-2007, 09:21 AM
I was checking the injector and coil wiring while I was in there poking around to be sure that there weren't any obvious issues. I was able to isolate the pr oblem to the coil for sure by unplugging the offending coil while the engine was running. (Although I suppose of the injector was "dead", the result would have been the same) The rough running condition of the engine did not change at all. Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind for the future.

Your squirrel story reminds me of a friend who had a ground hog chew through all 4 of the spark wires on one side of the engine in his Dodge truck. I used to wage war on those varmints when I lived in PA. Now that I live in Georgia, armadillos are the enemy!

ausie
01-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I have learned to expect anything is possible when a vehicle sits outdoors for an extended period of time. The same could happen if kept in a garage too but the animals that invade the engine bay are typically smaller. I can still recall the family of mice my ex-wife found in her acura integra air box. That was funny.

ggrab
01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Believe it or not, the problem with the ground hog in my friend's Dodge Truck happened in his garage. I guess he (the groundhog that is) thought it was a nice warm place to stay.

I had the same problem as your ex-wife, but I had mice in the air box of my wife's Toyota Corolla. I turned on the heater one day and a bunch of crap flew out of the vents and all over the car, as well as all over us. It was funny, but I did not think so at the time!

99SVT3753
01-22-2007, 01:13 PM
if ya know someone that needs a set - I have 8 off a 2004 5.4 Triton - not Accel but Ford OEM