PDA

View Full Version : Should these be my first mods

JROC
01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Someone told me that my first mod should be either a LDC or Evan Flow cooling mod, especially since my car is an early production Terminator and is more prone to developing the Tick than later models. Does anyone on here use either of these mods, and how well do they work. The concept of how they work sound pretty good, and I was told that you can actually use them both at the same time. I was just wondering what ya'lls opinions on these mods are. Thanks

http://www.ldcchicago.com/products_CM.htm

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-11664/ef-coolingkit-even-flow-head-cooling-mod.html

Sonic03inSC
01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I have yet to do any cooling mods. I have 54k miles 45k of those with a 2.8 pulley and 4k with the whipple. I have had no issues yet. Do cooling mods help? Most likely but I have yet to see proof it's a must do.

InfamousSVT
01-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't do those as one of the first mods, that's a mod that you would do when the transmission is out (LDC) or if the blower is removed (Even flow).
The first mods would be best used towards,

Subframes
Upper pulley
Differential brace
Cold Air Intake
Heat Exchanger

That would be a good start, but there is always much much more to be done :D

JROC
01-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't do those as one of the first mods, that's a mod that you would do when the transmission is out (LDC) or if the blower is removed (Even flow).
The first mods would be best used towards,

Subframes
Upper pulley
Differential brace
Cold Air Intake
Heat Exchanger

That would be a good start, but there is always much much more to be done :D
Sorry I didn't to mention that the car already had a 2.93" pulley on the blower, a Magnaflow exhaust, a K&N, and a Steeda STS when I bought it. The first things that I personally want to put on the car are H&R race springs, MM camber/caster plates and some 18" AFS Cobra replica's, with 10.5" wide in the back wearing some 315's. Of course I'll have to do all the stuff to make sure it clears. :thumbsup:

puzzle13
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I personally have the LDC cooling mod on my 03, but I cannot tell you how good it works yet. I had overheating issues last year at CMP and it could have been due to the bad tune and the plugs, but a retune on the same plugs only helped a little. I had MM performance install the LDC cooling mod along with the LFP race radiator, LFP oversized coolant res., BBK long tube headers, & BBK h-pipe with cats. I also changed the plugs from Brisk (horrible) to NGK TR-6's. Keep in mind, I never had a overheating issue until I was on the track after the Brisk plugs and the horrible tune. We will see if all this helps this year. I looked into the Evans cooling system on a recommendation from another member that goes to the track a lot in Texas. Their system is incredible, but it is a bit pricey. If you are not taking your car to the track I doubt you would need either of these mods.

P Machy
01-23-2007, 01:25 AM
The LCD Cooling Mod is mainly for people who do Open Track Events and or those that produce some serious pressure in their cylinders. IMHO, it is best left out if you just have it as a Daily Driver.

Not to high jack the thread, but puzzle13, Spark Plugs alone cannot cause a an over heating issue, but posible warrent pre-ignition if the Heat Range is too hot. As for a tune causing an over heating issue, that is also suspect, but unless the tuner never programmed the low and high speed fans...in which case you should seriously over heat in any stop and go traffic. If you do not have a data logger / hand held device, you can use the trip odometer to read you off the celcius as a reference.... If you see the Celcius jump near 105* at a minimum of 30minutes of stop and go, the fans are not programmed to be turned on by the tuner.

I do not know what time line you got all the cooling parts, but an air pocket can easily cause pinging and over heating issues. FYI, my only fans turning on are the high speed fans at 202F = 94C. I get stuck at times in stop and go traffic on the way to the track, but the way my tuner set the fans on, it has never over heated because of a the way he set it in the tune....Manual Fan Switch comes in handy at times, but not if there is an air pocket in the cooling system.

JROC
01-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I really do find it very helpful. :thumbsup: