PDA

View Full Version : Falken Azenis RT615 tire

ausie
01-22-2007, 07:21 AM
I am considering this tire for summer use only. It is one of those tires that falls into a competition street tire (between DOT approved track tire and a standard street tire). It is a bit goofy looking but what I read about so far seems to fit what I am looking for in a tire. The tough part of the issue is which wheels should I mount them on? I have a choice between the 17x9 svt wheel or the 18x10R BBS and 18x8.5F BBS. Since they have an asymetrical tread pattern, they can be rotated so I am leaning towards mounting them on the 17x9 SVT 10th anniv wheels which would balance out the contact patch on all 4 corners.

If it turns out that I like them, I could always get them for the 18 inch wheels later on since I still have good rubber on the 18x10's.

Has anybody heard good or bad comments on the Falken Aenis tires?

rpalmer
01-22-2007, 11:52 PM
A very highly regarded tire for auto-crossing in our neck of the woods.

-RP

ausie
01-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I am really considering this tire, but still have not found any relative information how well if at all will it hold up at the drag strip. I know the tire is not meant for that type of application due to the stiff sidewalls but I am sure they would do much better at the track than the average street tire. I have always wanted to get a tire that is close to an R compound for use on the street even if they do not last very long.

rpalmer
01-30-2007, 01:21 AM
If you're looking for a tire that'd be good at the strip, why not just go for the Nitto 555R?

http://www.nittotire.com/tires_555r.asp

-RP

ausie
01-30-2007, 07:49 AM
I have thought about drag radials many times..... Not quote sure how a dot approved drag radial will hold up to the roads I spend most of my driving time on. For drag radials, I would probably get another pair of 17x9 wheels for the DR's in the 315 size, and only mount them the day before I plan to go to the track. I was just curious to how the Falken Azenis would perform at the strip. I have found several articles (mainly geared towards autox, eurotuner.com) where they have used the Azenis at the drag strip for which they had pulled some respectable times for some of the vehicles in the test, they also included the autocross part as well.
I am basically looking for a good overall tire for mainly street use but one that may perform well at the drag strip. There are alot of good tires available but not all will be offered in the tire sizes that would fit my 18 inch wheels. I have found many tire fitments but not in the tires I am interested in. I have considered the BFG kdw (nt), Toyo T1-R, Falcon FK452, Goodyear F1-GS-D3 and the list goes on (kuhmo, yokohama....etc.)
All I need are tires to fit the 18x10 and 18x8.5 wheels with emphasis on dry traction (if okay in wet that will be fine). The Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 would be a prize to find in a 275/35-18 and a 245/40-18. However, the Goodyears look like a good tire but very expensive.

For the stock sized wheel (17x9) I plan on getting some all season Toyo Proxes 4's which are a good tire (may not outperform the T1-R's in the rain) but at least the comound will not get hard in the cold mornings during spring and late fall.

ausie
02-14-2007, 06:19 AM
I dropped the idea about the Falken tires. I think this time around I will go with the BFG KDW (NT) for the stock sized wheels. And if I like them I will put them on the 18 BBS wheels too.