PDA

View Full Version : The "Stall"

JROC
01-28-2007, 07:17 PM
I have it. It is very annoying and potentially dangerous as you lose your power steering/braking. It normally only happens in the cool morning hours while I'm on my way home from work, but it will also happen if I do a run to 100+ mph and start to slowly brake. I have read that the best way to fix this problem is to have Ford reflash the ECU, but that would mess up the tune my car has. I have also read that theres a screen between the air filter and MAF sensor that people remove to give the airflow a less restricted path, and that this can cause the stalling problem. I was wondering if anybody had any helpful information on this matter. It causes you to change they way you drive and to use your gears to slow you down instead of just compressing the clutch and using the brakes.

:confused:
BTW it wont stall if I brake hard, only if I brake at a normal speed. Als my car is missing the screen between the air filter and MAF.

blk04cobra1
01-28-2007, 07:55 PM
JROC, the screen is not necessary...also, do you have a chip, flash, or handheld device? If you have a chip, just pull it out when you take it to the dealer (pull it out in the parking lot and they'll never know)...if you have a handheld device, wait til you get to the parking lot, then re-install the stock tune file via the handheld, when you get the car back, all you have to do is re-install your custom tune saved on the handheld...if you have a "flash", then you'll need to get re-flashed once the computer is flashed from the dealership (hope that wasnt too confusing)...often times a custom tune gets rid of the stall, have you been able to datalog any of your pulls while driving? Let me know if you have any more questions...we'll be happy to help :thumbsup:

JROC
01-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I just bought the car not even a month ago, and don't have a handheld for it, but I assume it has been Tuned because the dealer said it had one, and it doesn't have the "Service Engine Soon" light on, and the car has a 2.93" Blower pulley, K&N filter, and Magaflow exhaust. Wouldn't these parts warrant a tune, and at the least turn the "Service Engine Soon" on. I have also read that you should turn the idle up to cure this problem, but my car already idles slightly high IMO. What are your thoughts on this.

BTW I have a SCT XCALIBRATOR 2 from my old Roush,(I return it to its stock Tune before I traded it in) but I dout that it will do any good. I guess I need to get another Tune for it. I'm not really sure what you mean by dataloging any pulls while driving.

EDIT: I have also read that the Stall can be potentally damaging to your car, is this true.

blk04cobra1
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I just bought the car not even a month ago, and don't have a handheld for it, but I assume it has been Tuned because the dealer said it had one, and it doesn't have the "Service Engine Soon" light on, and the car has a 2.93" Blower pulley, K&N filter, and Magaflow exhaust. Wouldn't these parts warrant a tune, and at the least turn the "Service Engine Soon" on. I have also read that you should turn the idle up to cure this problem, but my car already idles slightly high IMO. What are your thoughts on this.

BTW I have a SCT XCALIBRATOR 2 from my old Roush,(I return it to its stock Tune before I traded it in) but I dout that it will do any good. I guess I need to get another Tune for it. I'm not really sure what you mean by dataloging any pulls while driving.

EDIT: I have also read that the Stall can be potentally damaging to your car, is this true.
Those mods would warrant a tune, so it's likely that the car has been "flashed" or the original owner kept the tuning device (ie xcal 2 or predator). The stall is a common issue and I believe the dealer will reflash using the AMZ2 tune file (computer code). If your Xcal2 is not VIN locked, then you can use it on your '03. Im not sure if the stall is proven to be damaging, of course it can cause an accident, so maybe that's what they're talking about.

SNAKE-EYES
02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I Had That Problem Right After Installing My K&n Filter Charger Kit. I Went To Ford And Had Them Reflash My Car Computer Per A Tsb They Had Out , To The Most Current Calibration They Had And Not It Runs Fine Fixed The Problem

SNAKE-EYES
02-03-2008, 02:16 PM
it stalled only in the morning, after warming up it ran fine.

XyX
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
If had the same problem...I need to bring it to get it reflashed. I did a 100 plus run last night and it did it to me..So monday morning I will be at ford to get it done.

spincobra03
02-03-2008, 05:16 PM
call dan at pro dyno he will fix you right up.

blk04cobra1
02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
If had the same problem...I need to bring it to get it reflashed. I did a 100 plus run last night and it did it to me..So monday morning I will be at ford to get it done.
Ford's reflash or a custom tune usually fixes this issue :thumbsup:

SNAKE-EYES
02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
XyX what kind of lights are those they look nice!

XyX
02-05-2008, 03:46 AM
6,000k HIDS top and bottom:thumbsup:

JROC
02-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Back from the dead.

This is funny, my stall went away during the summer months and has since come back with a vengence. It seems to manifest itself in the cooler months. My cars problem is not with its tune. I took it to Pro-Dyno and had Dan and Rob tune it knowing that it had the Stall issue. Even before that though it had an 04 Cobras tune on it. I want to say its my FIPK as relocating the MAF to the 12 O'clock position leans it out, but I'm sure that that would be corrected for in the tune. I'm thinking/hoping it might be my TPS, I've already cleaned out my IAC, and MAF sensor.

When you take a load off the engine and start braking the tach needle dips really low then bounces up and keeps doing that, and it will eventually stall out, especially when braking is a turn. I really need to get the time to get this fix as its more than just an annoyance it about got me killed a couple of weeks ago. Besides that its pretty damn embarassing having to always crank your car when turning into a parking lot or sitting at a traffic light. People think you can't drive or something.

SNAKE-EYES
02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
jroc have you taken it to the dealer?

if not take it and have it re-flashed.

tell them there is a technical service bulletin

Pro-Dyno
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
If you re flash it will erase the tune if you bring it back to me I will re adjust your dashpot and hopefully we can fix it

JROC
02-06-2008, 07:55 AM
If you re flash it will erase the tune if you bring it back to me I will re adjust your dashpot and hopefully we can fix it
Dan, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about that, but I was also thinking of seeing how much I get from my tax return first and maybe getting a Whipple and fuel upgrades then having you tune it again. :D

Do you think it could be something outside the tune causing the problem? I have heard many people have had to adjust their TPS to make it stop stalling, because they had the wrong amount of volts running to it, but I'm not a great mechanic or anything so Idon't really know.

I will try to call you before I go to work later on today so we can talk about what I should do. :thumbsup:

Pro-Dyno
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
some times it is IAC valve some times it is TPS bring it down when you have a chance and i will adjust them for you :thumbsup:

blueblazes
02-10-2008, 04:44 AM
i had a chance to run a car few weeks ago kb cobra car with pro-dyno sticker his car kept shutting off on him to, I told him to get that checked out as he almost wrecked when he was doing 100+ and the car cut off. That is serious without a doubt. I have heard both ways about the reflash, and by that I mean either needing to have ford reflash it then have it retuned or to have your tuner to use the most upto date catch code for the 03-04's. What was your car tuned with sct, sniper, or diablo? Are you running a switch chip or xcal 2 <edit nm see you had xcal 2 for old car, so must be switch chip if its sct>, or some kinda diablo unit, or was it just a pcm flash with sniper?

EDIT: When my tps got out of wack <was after tb swap to a ported tb> I had to adjust it, car has never cut off me like what your experiencing, but when my tps was out of adjustment I had a hanging idle car would idle high about 1500rpms sometimes and then it would settle down. After adjusting the tps to the right position all was well.
Here is the procedure for fixing the hanging idle when tps related:
1) install TB and plenum
2) rotate the TPS CW(opposite throttle movement) then snug the screws
3) plug IAC in (DO NOT SCREW IT ON, LEAVE IT OFF)
4) duct tape over the IAC holes on the plenum
5) have someone start the car(DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDLE) if it won't start, turn the butter fly stop screw in a bit, try to start again(repeat till running)
6) adjust the stop screw till you get the idle to 700-750RPM
7) let the car idle for 5-10 min's
8) turn car off
9) remove duct tape, install IAC
10) turn key to "on position" (do not start car)
11) set TPS to about .98V, tighten the TPS
12) start car(DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS !!!!!!!!)
13) just let the car idle, let the computer "LEARN" for 10min's
14) turn car off
15) done

Although I do not think this is your issue, there are alot of threads on modular fords, and svtperformance about this problem and they all seem to revolve around needing either the most upto date catch code or reflash from ford. The threads are pretty longwinded but ill peruse through some and find something more definitive on whether it requires ford reflash or if most upto date catch code will address the issue.

Little digging and of course as always cobrabob to the rescue.
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092458
This guy has been around the 03 cobra community longer than most and has a crap ton of information about the 03's. He knows his stuff heres a link to his site with all the faq about 03/04's.
03 04 Gospel (http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm) read it know it and the light shall shine down upon thee! The original stall issue was a tune issue, which was fixed with a TSB. Aftermarket tuners then included the new code in their tunes. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092458

Stalling can also be caused by other things as well, of course. I wouldn't say, though, that most stalling issues are partially or totally a result of an RAI install. I've heard of stalls with CAIs as well. I had an RAI and my car stalled a number of times. But with the new computer code the stalling disappeared. I made no change to the actual intake. So in my case the RAI had nothing to do with it.

Pro-Dyno
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
It has the most up to date bin file. some time they will still do it his tps and dash pot need to be re adjusted so the idel dosnt fall quite so fast .:thumbsup: