PDA

View Full Version : Back to Cobras

Jamo
02-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm on my way to pick up my new to me, used 1999 Cobra next week. I had a '97 a couple years ago, that I sold and regretted selling. My soon to be my one is a green/tan convertable w/20000 mi. It's a nice looking car and I'm lucky to get it for the price I'm paying.

What I wonder is whether there has been a drop in interest in the 96 -2001 Cobras with the new Mustang out, including the Shelbys. I'm a latest thing kind of guy, but I didn't really want to get into a new GT just because the price is a little higher and there may be a 5 liter enging coming on in a year or two.

But I'm a little concerned that the '99s are becoming passe (accent ague on the last e). Of course, this is a Cobra site, but what do you fellows think? Does anyone like the older cars more than the new one?

Eric_red94
02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Buying super nice condion, low mile 94-95 cobras for less than $12,000 is popular right now. Great platform for mods.:thumbsup:

Jamo
02-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Buying super nice condion, low mile 94-95 cobras for less than $12,000 is popular right now. Great platform for mods.:thumbsup:
I'm not buying a 94-95. I'm buying a '99 convert. But it is just $12,000 w/20,100 mi.

bluebyu
02-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Of course Im going to be bias cause I own a sn95 model, But I love the 94-98 style and the 99-04 style. I dont think your wasting your money. These cars in all years are so responsive to your average bolt ons and are so fun to drive. To me a Cobra is a BAD machine no matter what year it is. And Im sure a lot of folks would agree with me.:thumbsup:12,000 is a SUPER deal for that car btw.

ausie
02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
The newer models are sort of dull unless you dress them up with body kits.... I have seen many at car shows that were non-stock and they looked really sharp. I am more fond of the 94 - 04 model styling than I am of the 05+ models..... However, when I first put my eyes on the Shelby GT500 at one of the car shows, I sort of like it. I think it is one of those things that will grow on you. Hopefully Ford will continue to to update the body style (I have seen some spy photos of the revised mustang which is closer to the original concept car which should be an improvement). Eventhough my 04 is outdated (according to automotove car reviews; consumer reports, edmunds, car and driver, etc...) that will not change my opinion.

cobrabitn
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I think that is a good deal if the car is in really good condition especially since it is a convertible!

I like the 94-04 models the best, too. I especially like the 03/04 Terminators and the 2000 Cobra R but then my 94 Pace Car is sweet, too. While I woud like to own a new Shelby GT 500, I am not going to refinance my house and sell everything I own just to have one. Those that want to pay the premium over sticker for one can have at it. I'd rather either buy one at sticker or get a second owner one when the original owner found out he was took. Sorry, just can't see throwing away money unless I had it to burn like some of these other folks might... :p

ProfChaos
02-10-2007, 01:05 AM
I tend to favor the '96-'01 Cobras, from the standpoint of "elegance-in-design": The '96-'01 Cobra is an elegantly understated machine, a well-designed sports car: It offers a nicely-tuned, innovatively-designed 4.6 DOHC, that--with an upgrade to high-performance O-2 sensors--offers both great fuel economy on the highway and highly respectable performance for other situations. ;)

From the standpoint of all-out performance, however, I think that the Terminator ('03-'04 Cobra) is the "King" Cobra, and that a Mystichrome Terminator essentially amounts to a trip to the land of Orgasmia. :D

Even so, I say all of that never having driven an '07 GT500. ;)

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

ausie
02-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Well said professor :thumbsup: