PDA

View Full Version : FR500 head install

03whitecobra
02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Bought the FR500 heads(ported) and putting in Crower stage III cams. Re-using the lifters and sprockets. Have the cam install tool, cooling mod, 2003 Mustang Workshop Manual, ARP head studs and
2R3Z.6051 = Head Gaskets
F7LZ.6584 = Valve Cover Gaskets
2R3Z.6020 = Timing Cover Gaskets
F5AZ.6700 = Crank Seal
2R3Z.9439 = Lower Intake Gaskets
2R3Z.9H486 = Upper Intake Gasket
2R3Z.9L438 = I/C "cap"
F5LY.6C527 = Spark Plug Gaskets
F7LZ.6P069 = Coil Cover Gaskets
F5RZ.6A340 = 12mm Cam Bolts
2R3Z.6065 = Head Bolts
F3LY.6265 = Cam Spacers
F1AZ.6278 = Cam Washers

Also:
ARP Teflon sealer
Permatex 300 form-a-gasket sealant
Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket
Permatex Form-a-gasket No.2
Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac compound
Permatex Pro-strength brake parts cleaner
Permatex Ultra Black RTV silicone gasket maker
Pro cam lube

Is there anything I should look out for?

Big Daddy
02-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Well I would look at the cam gears, I had one break on mine and it wasn't very pretty. I got lucky and only bent two valves and didn't hurt any pistons but it could have been much worse. I would check them if used and I would suggest just buying new before you put them in. :thumbsup:

03whitecobra
02-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Well I would look at the cam gears, I had one break on mine and it wasn't very pretty. I got lucky and only bent two valves and didn't hurt any pistons but it could have been much worse. I would check them if used and I would suggest just buying new before you put them in. :thumbsup:
I thought about buying new sprockets. Originally I was looking at buying the lifters, cam sprockets and the cam sprocket chain but is all that needed? Car doesn't have that much milage on it.
Thanks

Big Daddy
02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Well my chains are still the originals, the gears and lifters have been replaced but they had about 30K high boost/high hp miles on them. You should be fine with just the gears and lifters. I would however talk to a mod engine builder like Tim Barth at Modular Powerhouse or the guys at VT engines. They could give you the real skinny on this stuff I'm just a wannabe who's learned by the school of what's broke on my car. :thumbsup: :D

03whitecobra
02-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Well my chains are still the originals, the gears and lifters have been replaced but they had about 30K high boost/high hp miles on them. You should be fine with just the gears and lifters. I would however talk to a mod engine builder like Tim Barth at Modular Powerhouse or the guys at VT engines. They could give you the real skinny on this stuff I'm just a wannabe who's learned by the school of what's broke on my car. :thumbsup: :D
LOL
Ok, that's a good idea. Over here in Europe I can't go to NAPA or AutoZone that's why I ask a thousand questions and probably bought stuff I don't need or will use but it's better to have and not need then to need and not have.
Thanks

03whitecobra
02-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Ok called Modular Powerhouse and spoke to Tim, he said that they have never installed FR500 heads on an 03 Cobra(4.6L). Tim gave some good advise tho, take the heads off and set them next to each other and compare. Tried calling VT Engines all week, I get the recording.

blk04cobra1
02-07-2007, 11:21 PM
shoot Scott a PM over on ModularFords (if you're a member over there)...his s/n is Scott@VTengines ...they stay swamped, but be patient and they'll answer any and all your questions :thumbsup:

03whitecobra
02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
shoot Scott a PM over on ModularFords (if you're a member over there)...his s/n is Scott@VTengines ...they stay swamped, but be patient and they'll answer any and all your questions :thumbsup:
Ok I'll give it a try.
Thanks

03whitecobra
02-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Shot Scott a PM but he was not very helpful :dunno:
Thanks tho

03whitecobra
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Done. Took awhile had some set backs entering unknown territory. Now working on the tune.

mkkrs1
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Did you install yourself? any audio of the car.

03whitecobra
08-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Did you install yourself? any audio of the car.
No I could not of did it by myself but I was there every step of the way. Audio, pics & vids after the car is tuned.

03whitecobra
10-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Here's a vid, just waking up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YMDp3LknA

MOD
10-14-2007, 11:25 PM
It really is a shame to down grade your heads.

03whitecobra
10-15-2007, 06:34 AM
I do not understand?

03whitecobra
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
So, did you join just to post in my thread?

MOD
10-25-2007, 12:13 AM
So, did you join just to post in my thread?NO, I mostly use sites for info. I was not trying to start anything but the FR500 Heads are not made for the extra heat brought on by blown applications. and ported fr500 heads dont flow better than ported 03/04 heads. This is old but good and short. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204689&highlight=fr500+heads

03whitecobra
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
NO, I mostly use sites for info. I was not trying to start anything but the FR500 Heads are not made for the extra heat brought on by blown applications. and ported fr500 heads dont flow better than ported 03/04 heads. This is old but good and short. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204689&highlight=fr500+heads
I am not a member of SVTP so I canít see that thread.

The engineer at M2 Race Systems, that ported my heads, told me that they flow: 340 cfm Int. and 235 cfm Exh. I have several cooling mods. to help the engine. And if you get a chance ask Greg @ Sutton High Performance how his FR500 heads are doing.

puzzle13
10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I am not a member of SVTP so I canít see that thread.

The engineer at M2 Race Systems, that ported my heads, told me that they flow: 340 cfm Int. and 235 cfm Exh. I have several cooling mods. to help the engine. And if you get a chance ask Greg @ Sutton High Performance how his FR500 heads are doing.I read the thread and what I got from it was that the FR500 heads were not meant for supercharged cars and the 03/04 heads had something different due to the supercharger. Other than that if you modified both heads their flow rates were very close with the FR500 heads flowing a little better. But I am no expert, this is just what I got from the thread. It is kind of like the magazine article on the Cobra shootout where the fastest car was using Brisk plugs and Brisk advertised more horsepower than any other plug. I tried a set and had problems until I got rid of them. Others have also had problems ... so, I guess everyone has their own opinion.

Other than that ... how does the car run now with those heads? That is the big question?

03whitecobra
10-29-2007, 06:29 AM
I read the thread and what I got from it was that the FR500 heads were not meant for supercharged cars and the 03/04 heads had something different due to the supercharger. Other than that if you modified both heads their flow rates were very close with the FR500 heads flowing a little better. But I am no expert, this is just what I got from the thread. It is kind of like the magazine article on the Cobra shootout where the fastest car was using Brisk plugs and Brisk advertised more horsepower than any other plug. I tried a set and had problems until I got rid of them. Others have also had problems ... so, I guess everyone has their own opinion.

Other than that ... how does the car run now with those heads? That is the big question?I don't know what the big difference is between the two heads. I put the new FR500 head next to my stock 03 Cobra head but I'm no mechanical engineer.
I did alot of mods at once so it's hard to say what the ported heads are doing. The car has Alot of power now.

Oh check out WeaponX COPs and plugs

mus6870
11-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.