PDA

View Full Version : Is This Possible??

COBRAkid
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I wondering if any of you know if it is possible to have a supercharger and a turbocharger on the engine....have not seen it done and having trouble researching it..... i am very curious about this and wondered if it is possible.... can anyone point me in the right direction???

blk04cobra1
02-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Ive seen this on one application and it was a Mini Cooper, it was definitely a unique setup...

ausie
02-07-2007, 07:21 AM
It is possible, but there may be drawbacks..... Considering there have been many changes to power adders over the years it is not necessary to have both. Turbos have become more efficient and are now capable of generating boost at lower exhaust pressures. Superchargers (namely roots type) have also improved when compared to those of the early times when they were introduced to the automotive applications. It has been done in the past so that when the supercharger drops in boost, the turbo takes over. The only application where I could see the combination working great without causing engine failure from the added heat would be with a diesel engine.

Perhaps some of the rear mounted turbo kits would be suitable when used with the M112 eaton (as long as it has not been modified to spin faster) would probably work since the rear mounted turbos do not generate quite as much heat since the long runner would act as an aftercooler before entering the intake of the supercharger. However, I would think that just replacing the Eaton with a twin screw would be more efficient than adding a turbo to the mix. Combinations are much harder to tune and manage than a single source for the power adder. I think there are better alternatives than attempting to combine a roots with a turbo. :cool: I have thought about that too.

COBRAkid
02-09-2007, 12:01 AM
where can i find an exhaust turbo?? havent been able to find one yet...

ausie
02-09-2007, 07:12 AM
There are only a small amount of the rear mounted turbo kits. STS (squires trubo system) has one for the 05+ mustang. What you will probably find on the market are kits designed for the newer mustang platform than what you would find specifically for other mustang models. I did have a MM&FF magazine that had all of the turbo kits listed but I gave that to a friend of mine so I no longer have that reference to look up the companies. The majority of the turbos are header mounted units. It may be possible to retro-fit an 05 kit but that would require alot of fabrication on your part and is probably not worth the effort due to the amount of additional parts that may be necesssary. I do not believe that there is enough room for a turbo kit in the area where the stock mufflers hang on the 94-04 mustangs where as camaros, firebirds, corvettes and the 05+ mustang have one thing in common is the location of the mufflers which is behind the rear wheels that provides a much larger area to mount all the necessary components. With that said, perhaps I should retract what I said previously since the rear mounted turbo would not find a home on a 94-04 mustang. I will not say it could not be done, but at a relatively low cost that would be out of the question at least for now unless some kit is available.

Linn@Amazon
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
anything is possible if you have enough money and you can find someone who really knows what they are doing...but sometimes the cons are more than the pros