PDA

View Full Version : 94 Cobra Update!

cobrabitn
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll be updating this thread to let you know how this weekend pans out with the 94 Coupe as we try to get it ready for CMP and Drag Day.

This weekend we'll be putting new brake calipers all the way around the car, Steeda rear upper control arm bushings, stainless steel braided brake lines, a new battery, and bleed the system for air. Got to have this thing right for next month as I feel I can drive more aggressively if I had brakes I could trust. :thumbsup:

See photo below for Burke trying to keep up with me at the Gingerman 2005 event!

TL04SVT
02-13-2007, 03:04 PM
What Calipers are you gonna be using? also what lines?

cobrapace94
02-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Good luck on the upgrades. :thumbsup:

Larry95
02-13-2007, 06:29 PM
See photo below for Burke trying to keep up with me at the Gingerman 2005 event!Looks to me like he's doing a fine job of staying up with you. In fact "as the story goes" if he's that close to you, he's faster than you.

cobrabitn
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Larry,

While it is a 2005 photo, neither Dave nor Burke could keep up with me that year. However, I must be fair in 2006, it was a totally different story as I could not keep up with Burke at all. It's amazing what a year makes, huh?

The brake lines are stainless steel braided from maximum Motorsports I believe? They were given to me from a club member because they were selling their car and was going back to stock. Who can say no to free? :D

We'll also be adding some custom backing plates Burke had made for my Cobra so we can hook up some cooling ducts. I'm thinking about changing out the MC now so I can eliminate brake fade. I'm planning on bringing my camera and doing a "how to" article. I may also be getting some new complimentary "adjustable" tie rod ends to try out on my car. We'll keep you posted! :thumbsup:

Larry95
02-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Tony,
Believe me with only one event under my belt, I know all to well about seeing cars in my rear view mirror. I'll get there someday. I just wish I had found out about all this 10 years ago.

cobrabitn
02-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Well we got the four calipers on this weekend and the braided steel lines. We also installed the cooling duct backing plates and the rear upper control arm bushings. We bled two quarts of brake fluid through the system to flush it out real good and make sure we got all of the air out of the lines. Altogether, it took us about 2 hours with four of us working on the car. Burke took some pics with Robbie helping me with the rear calipers so maybe he'll get them posted up?

A couple of items we have to address before CMP are a new master cylinder as I felt the new calipers didn't do what I had expected them to do. Burke's going to install new front lower control arm bushings, ball joints, and the master cylinder. My schedule will not allow me another trip up to the car so he and Robbie are going to do it for me. (They're great friends!) They understand my schedule and workload and are extremely helpful.

I'm also getting some "adjustable sway bar links" that will be shipped some time this week. I'll have to get them on the car before the event and do a "product evaluation" for the newsletter. The car should handle and brake better. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if the mods paid off? Can't wait to hit the track next month! :thumbsup:

Trevor, the braided lines are made by "Russell". The calipers are the same as the factory and have the same "PBR" markings on them. The rear calipers have the exact same Ford logos on them and the exact same markings on them, too. Everything looks like it came from the factory that way except the front calipers do not have the word "COBRA" on them. Too bad! :(

cobrabitn
03-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Okay, getting back to my update!

Unfortunately, I did not get to take the 94 out on the track this past weekend. We replaced all of the calipers (PBR 2 piston on front) and we broke a brake line. I then had to order a compete 5 line kit as I read up that lines should be changed every 6 years due to deterioration. After replacing the broken caliper (New and under warranty), the rear line would not let the steel lines seal correctly. i tried for numerous hours spilling out brake fluid to try and get them to seal but they would not. So now I have my car at Pro Dyno's shop with no brakes on it. I'm going to have to get new lines made up with new fittings and see if that solves the problem? If not, I'm going to have to try some braided steel lines to go from the "tee" to the Russell 5 piece kit lines. Honestly, what a mess! :(

Hazman
03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Hmmm Tony you are starting to sound like Greg with all these cars problems preventing you from getting it to the track!!!:eek: :D ;) :p :rotf:

cobrabitn
03-16-2007, 08:00 AM
It'll be ready for VIR! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's my latest update on my 94 Snake.

First, I took it to VIR last weekend and it did really good. I think we are definitely going to have to work on the driver and maybe a different seat to keep my butt in place. The car definitely felt tighter with the new bushings, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, and the brakes worked really good!

I felt that I didn't do too well on the track since it was new to me and I wasn't too keen on going ten tenths on an unfamiliar track. (Unlike CMP where I feel comfortable and can go wide open.) Don't get me wrong...this track was phenominal with its elevation and straights. I peaked out at 118 mph on the front stretch and the back strectch almost coud see 90 mph. On Sunday afternoon, I was the only one on the track as everyone else left for the weekend or was packing to leave! Track time was fantastic with just me and Vernon Banks alternating sessions.

Here's what I plan to do next with it...now that I have the power, 300 rwhp, I'm thinking of losing some weight. The rear seat will have to be replaced with a rear seat delete kit but only after I get new seats! I still want the car to be streetable so I cannot get too carried away with it. Maybe replace the smog pump with just a pulley and relocate the battery to the rear of the car.

cobrabitn
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Well...I found out some disturbing news with the 94 as both "new" ball joints are shot. Yep, for some reason they kept coming out. That was the "clunk" I heard at VIR and CMP and verified it last weekend at the TRF show when I went to switch to street tires. I also found out that I corded both front tires due to the lower control arms.

I ordered a new set of lower control arms for the 1994 but I got the 03/04 Cobra lower control arms as they are supposed to be heavier duty and will allow you to have a shorter turning radius.

I'm going to plug this business as I got the best price from them off the Internet.

For two lower control arms with ball joints pressed in from the factory for $149.49 with shipping it came out to $163.69. This price was extremely reasonable as many others wanted $200.00 and up but some were close to this price but not lower for the same thing. Even someone on e-bay wanted $150.00 for a set he bought but never put on his car. I opted for new from a Ford Racing distributor, Southwest Ford in Weatherford, TX.

Very satisfied with their customer service and pricing in the parts department. :thumbsup:

Next up, reinstall the lower control arms and new sway bar bushings with the correct size for my front sway bar. :)

cobrabitn
11-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Latest upgrade news on the 94 Snake.....

Dan from Pro-Dyno helped me install the lower control arm assemblies, both right and left. I installed the correct sway bar bushings at his shop and took the car for an alignment. I also had the Ford place change the oil since it was just $21.00 with their oil change special.

Loaded the car up for the Texas trip and when I got there, unloaded it and drove it on the track Friday night with the lights on so I could see better.

My first thoughts after that session was I definitely need to take the street tires off as I slung the car around and landed with two wheels off. (The back wheels). Friday was gone and it was Saturday and I was ready to get the track tires (Avon Tech) on the car. I had to borrow two tires from Rick McNutt since my 3 event front tires were corded. Took the car out on the track and took it easy so they would warm up before opening it up. I set the pressure at 34 lbs cold so the tire would build up to 40lbs hot which is where I like them to run at.

The results were outstanding! I mean I was taking every corner without a squeal and exiting the turns were getting better. I still had the sliding leather seats but Thomas Moran told me to get some rubber padding from Wal-Mart and lay them on the seats to stop sliding. Luckily Burke had some as his tool chest liner. It worked! I couldn't believe my fat butt was staying still so that allowed me to put more effort toward driving rather than trying to hold myself from sliding all over the place.

I still heard the "clunk" as if something was binding so I took the car out and lifted the front wheels off to see if the ball joints gave....they didn't. That means something else was causing the "popping" in the front end. I went out on another session (BTW, it was a ton of fun running this course.) and still heard it pop when I went around the corner real hard. Sunday morning I believe I found the culprit. My adjustable sway bar links had come apart so I saved the old end links with the poly bushings and installed them Sunday after the first session. Whamoo! I didn't hear anymore popping and the car handled fantastic. It was way outperforming then it ever has in the past. Felt good and tight and the steering was much easier with the new 03/04 lower control arms installed. I almost felt like I was passing everyone on the track even though I wasn't. I believe the adjustable links failure were my fault because after the 03/04 arms were installed, I should have checked the end links to make sure they weren't binding and this could have been avoided. Dean told me his set was still on his car after a couple of years of running NASA AI events. I blame myself for the incorrect installation not the links themselves.

All in all, very pleased with the modifications! Next up better seats and a rollbar with a crossover for mounting belts and a camera. Isn't open tracking fun!!!! :thumbsup: