PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Suspension '01 Cobra!

2001REDCOBRA
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone! I am planning on upgrading my suspension on my '01 Cobra. Currently I have the following upgrades....... Nitto 555ZR 18" tires shod on Cobra R replica rims. Eibach Pro Kit Lowering springs; Kenny Brown front strut brace. I am thinking about getting the Eibach front and rear sway bar kit which is approx 4 mm thicker than stock. Also I am thinking about installing in polygraphite bushings and then eventually installing the Kenny Brown rear strut brace and sub frame connectors. I am looking for great handling; this car never sees snow nor rain and is driven only in the spring thru fall. I would also like to add full length headers from BBK and also a supercharger; but that is a ways away. I'm looking to get the car braced and getting it to handle really well before I start laying down the power! Any help on the above or alterative choices for sways and choices for bushings etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!:thumbsup:

ProfChaos
02-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone! I am planning on upgrading my suspension on my '01 Cobra. Currently I have the following upgrades....... Nitto 555ZR 18" tires shod on Cobra R replica rims. Eibach Pro Kit Lowering springs; Kenny Brown front strut brace. I am thinking about getting the Eibach front and rear sway bar kit which is approx 4 mm thicker than stock. Also I am thinking about installing in polygraphite bushings and then eventually installing the Kenny Brown rear strut brace and sub frame connectors. I am looking for great handling; this car never sees snow nor rain and is driven only in the spring thru fall. I would also like to add full length headers from BBK and also a supercharger; but that is a ways away. I'm looking to get the car braced and getting it to handle really well before I start laying down the power! Any help on the above or alterative choices for sways and choices for bushings etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!:thumbsup:

Before converting to polygraphite bushings, you might consider what a pain in the neck it might be to do that; it takes a great deal of meticulously-detailed work to dis-assemble and re-assemble a steering rack, and there is doubt--at least in my mind--as to whether that much work is worth it for a car that is primarily street-oriented (if that happens to be the case). You might also take into consideration that polygraphite bushings will also, quite likely, affect the ride of the car in a slightly negative way. (Rubber bushings are better than polygraphite bushings at absorbing road vibrations; rubber bushings thus offer a slightly smoother feel in the steering, less driver-fatigue due to road vibrations, etc.). I might have been misinformed in some way, but it has always been my understanding that polygraphite bushings tend to be better-suited to race-only applications.

Regarding the long-tube headers, if the car has been lowered, long-tube headers might be at risk of dragging on high spots in the road/on uneven pavement, and thus involve greater risk of damaging/creating leaks in the exhaust. You might also consider that for some long-tube headers, you have to remove the headers every time you remove the transmission to change the clutch/throw-out bearing, etc. Removing and replacing headers on a 4.6L Cobra engine can be a real pain in the neck, even if you are adept at dropping the K-member and suspension.

I thus believe that mid-length headers are arguably a better choice--ceramic-coated Bassani mid-length headers, for example, since they offer plenty of performance, with less risk of the exhaust dragging, and no need to remove the headers every time you remove the transmission.
:bounce:

Perhaps some others on the SVT Forum have experience with either polygraphite bushings or long-tube headers, and perhaps these individuals might be able to offer more input on the matter.

cheers,
Professor Chaos

2001REDCOBRA
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your input! Especially on the headers! I'll check into the Bassini mid length headers. I knew that ceramic coating was the way to go. But anyone else could help me on my suspension mods?.........

BlackSVT
02-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm in the process of upgrading my suspension. I will be putting on Koni adjustable shocks and struts with H&R Sport Springs. I already have all the Kenny Brown chassis stiffening and think it's awesome (Extreme Matrix Package, Strut and Rear Shock Tower Braces). I'll let you know how the car handles once I get the springs and shocks installed. :thumbsup: