PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy it?

angry1
02-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Hello all, I am looking for some advice. I don't currently own a Mustang, but a guy at work wants to "unload" a 98 Cobra. I looked at it and actually drove it. It seems to drive nice, but there is something wrong with the engine. It just turned 100,000 miles and misses really bad. He took it to a repair shop, and they told him he needed a new engine. I'm no mechanic or anything, but it doesn't seem blown to me. It seems like maybe one of the timing belts has jumped a tooth or something, which looking at the engine compartment, is pretty scary if I need to tear this motor apart. Anyway, I can get the car for $2,000. The outside is pretty nice and the interior is really nice and it has new rims and low profile tires. I guess the question is should I buy it, and does this motor have a history of jumping time or anything like that?

ggrab
02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
I would be willing to bet that there are quite a few people out there that would give $2,000 just for the engine alone, even if it is not running quite right. I'd buy the car if I were you.

George

cobrabitn
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
There's no telling what is wrong with the car but if you are seriously considering buying the car then I'd have a qualified mechanic look at it and get a second opinion. Since you don't state where you live, it is sort of difficult to recommend a shop for you to carry it to for diagnosing.

nckissfan
02-21-2007, 12:00 AM
run a carfax on it first, to verify that it is a real Cobra. Then, if it is, take it to a mechanic that you trust. $2000 seems a bit low, and would make me think it is a Cobra clone.

angry1
02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll buy it.

97CasperCobra
02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
buy it.....let us know about the engine. There's currently a 97 Cobra motor on Ebay right now with a BUY IT NOW price of $2,700 or so. Keep us updated, and post pics...:thumbsup:

angry1
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the car, putting some new plugs and wires in it and it runs pretty good. Wow is it fast!! I really had no idea. I still have a problem with it overheating which might end up being a head gasket, but oh well, I love it. I'll post pictures as soon as the site allows me to.

BLUE_SVT_COBRA
03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Might be the thermostat they LOVE TO GO OUT IN MUSTANGS!! lol