PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body

03blownsvt
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Guys and gals,
I have been eye-balling a throttle body from BBK. The information states that it is a bolt on application and requires no additional modifications. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this one or any other throttle body. Looking for a little insight before purchasing anything. Thanks.

blk04cobra1
03-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Guys and gals,
I have been eye-balling a throttle body from BBK. The information states that it is a bolt on application and requires no additional modifications. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this one or any other throttle body. Looking for a little insight before purchasing anything. Thanks.
It is a very straight forward install, however I have heard about some having very bad idle issue's with the BBK. I have an Accufab and like it, but had to adjust the set screws b/c it "stick" a little...if I had to do it again, i'd just port the stocker :thumbsup: .

Big T
03-07-2007, 10:58 PM
I have the BBk and it did stick a little in the beginning. No idle issues so far. If I had to do it over I would get the accufab.

03blownsvt
03-08-2007, 09:04 AM
When you mention "stick" a little are you meaning that the trottle hung open? It sounds like this showed up in both the Accufab and the BBK. What types of things did you do to remedy the sticking? Based on what I have read the Accufab looks like it will add more rwhp than the BBK, however the installation requires more and it is more expensive. What size (mm) did you go with? Thanks for the information!!!

puzzle13
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I have the twin 65mm BBK throttle body and installed it myself. The only thing that takes time is grinding the plenum on the stock intake out to the size of the holes in the throttle body. I used a die grinder (air) with a grinding stone. A metal grinding tool on the die grinder would have been quicker. Without the grinding you can see that it would inhibit air flow. I am sure porting the stock one while porting the blower (Stiegmeyer) would be a better choice for the money and that is what I would do if I was starting from scratch. The throttle body works just fine, it is a little sticky when trying to increase speed very slowly, but not bad. As for horsepower ... I am sure that it doesn't give the added horsepower they claim, but it does let the supercharger scream.

Big T
03-08-2007, 09:47 PM
When I say "stick" I mean that it is difficult to lightly press the gas pedal down and move slowly from a still position. It seems to get stuck shut a little. It's aggravating in stop and go traffic. The stock TB has a much lighter touch to it, but the throttle response is much more with the BBK 65mm.

puzzle13
03-08-2007, 11:30 PM
When I say "stick" I mean that it is difficult to lightly press the gas pedal down and move slowly from a still position. It seems to get stuck shut a little. It's aggravating in stop and go traffic. The stock TB has a much lighter touch to it, but the throttle response is much more with the BBK 65mm.Ditto to what BigT said!!

03blownsvt
03-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the information!!!!

COMMANDER100
03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Guys and gals,
DONT USE BBK GO ONLY WITH ACCUFAB NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS FROM THEM.

ausie
03-12-2007, 07:46 AM
I was considering a wide oval throttle body with the matched intake plenum, either Billet Flow or Accufab. Did not even think about a larger twin bore.

InfamousSVT
03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I'd go with the Accufab or a ported stock one, I've got the Accufab on my car with the Whipple and haven't had any issues from it. Also a private party is in the process of testing a new throttle body for the 03/04 Cobra not sure on a release date for production yet.
As for power increase I wouldn't expect much unless making big hp numbers already, more "seat of the pants" feel will be with the throttle response though.

Good luck.

Mirage
03-14-2007, 08:42 PM
03blownsvt~ DO NOT GO WITH BBK. I had nothing but problems with their throttle body and they didn't help one bit. I sold it on eBay and went with Accufab and had no issues with the install or high idle (read: sticking) to date (4 years later). Of course this is just my opinion and YMMV but when I think after market I want a product that works and a company that has good customer service. But hey, that's just me. ;)

03blownsvt
03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
I went with the polished Accufab w/plentum. I like the look of the polished plus not having to modify the stock plentum was a benifit. Once I get it installed I'll let everyone know how it works out for me. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, feedback, and advise.

Steve

03whitecobra
03-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Isn't there a "billet" TB out there that is to be perfect?

I don't have one but have read about it being made from time to time.

03blownsvt
03-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Guys,
I ended up goign with the polished Accufab big oval and polished plentum. The first thing is that it looks great plus adds to the chrome CAI I have. The second thing is one word Damn!! You guys mentioned that it would wake up the SC, but it feels like I gained 50hp. I am sure the hp gain is very minimal, but the throttle response is unbelievable now. I had to get used to the accelerator pedal being really sensitive, but that wasn't too bad. I was lucky and didn't have to adjust the TPS.........pull off the stock and replace with the new. I would recomend this one to anyone looking to replace their throttle body. I am sure that I would nto have been as satisfied with the BBK. Thanks for the infor and advice!!
Steve

Big T
03-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I just realized that I received the whipple that uses the accufab, so I just ordered and received my accufab in the mail a few days ago. I have alot of polished accessories under my hood so the accufab will fit in fine. I'm looking foreward to comparing the performance betwen the two.

ausie
03-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Guys,
I ended up goign with the polished Accufab big oval and polished plentum. The first thing is that it looks great plus adds to the chrome CAI I have. The second thing is one word Damn!! You guys mentioned that it would wake up the SC, but it feels like I gained 50hp. I am sure the hp gain is very minimal, but the throttle response is unbelievable now. I had to get used to the accelerator pedal being really sensitive, but that wasn't too bad. I was lucky and didn't have to adjust the TPS.........pull off the stock and replace with the new. I would recomend this one to anyone looking to replace their throttle body. I am sure that I would nto have been as satisfied with the BBK. Thanks for the infor and advice!!
Steve
Thanks for the feedback. Now I feel I must have the wide oval. Have you had any tuning done or mods that would benefit the wide oval throttle body? I am beginning to get the Mod bug.:cool: