PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler cleaning

Big T
03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
OK, I've got everything off and I wanted to clean my intercooler before installing the whipple. It had some oil residue on it but not too bad. I have some brake cleaner in my garage but i'm not sure. Any ideas on what to use to clean it?

ausie
03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Brake parts cleaner will not do much for removing varnish (hardened oil film). Three things I can think of that will clean it up, 1 is any type of throttle body cleaner, 2 Berrymans Chem Tool B12 will work, or 3 Ether starting fluid cleans well too. Throttle body cleaners may leave a film behind but the B12 or Ether will not. Just use caution with any of the cleaners mentioned since they can be explosive especially the Ether.

Big T
03-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I decided to try the brake cleaner and it completely washed away the oil residue on the intercooler. It was so easy and I only used one can. It took about 5 minutes tops. Like Ausie, I didn't think it would work, but I read this on a Harley truck forum so I decided to give it a try.

ausie
03-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Brake parts cleaner is mostly acetone with Heptane or other gasoline byproducts (I just looked at one of the cans I have in the garage). I am glad it worked for you :thumbsup:

Most throttle body cleaners have an ether chemical compound of sorts as well as starting fluid. A friend of mine came over with an old Jeep that has never seen a cleaning product on the intake tract. He asked me if I had any throttle body cleaner and since I was out he asked me about using the brake parts cleaner. Since acetone will damage some plastics, the next best thing was an old can of Ether I found when I bought my home. That stuff cleaned the throttle body in seconds. My point of this story is, do not use chemicals designed to remove protective coatings from brake rotors since it will also remove any protective coatings from throttle body blades, coatings on supercharger rotors, etc.... I do not see an issue with it used on the inner cooler core but keep it away from the blower as it may not be a good thing.