PDA

View Full Version : Tire Question

jerryt175
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I have an 01 Cobra Conv w/Procharger blower, and in the market for new tires. Any suggestions/recommendations? I live in the midwest, but this baby never sees snow.

psycho43142
03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's probably the best summer tire money can buy.

Chris

auto-xr
03-27-2007, 06:04 PM
A couple of tires come to mind that are better than PS2 for performance.

-Yokohama Neova AD07s
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Neova+AD07

-Bridgestone RE-01R
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-01R

-BF Goodrich T/A KD
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KD

Max street performance goes to the Neovas followed closely by the RE-01Rs. The KDs are good but getting long in the tooth.

Best ride between the bunch goes to the RE-01Rs.

I have PS2s right now and they are great tires. They stick to the road (AX/DE) very well and generate low road noise (Steet). My next set may be Neovas or RE-01Rs.

Hope this helps.

ausie
04-01-2007, 12:39 PM
It all depends on wheather or not you have the stock 8x17 inch wheels or aftermarket. For the stock wheels, the best tire I ever had was the bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03. Very good tire for that wheel size (not sure if it is still avaialble). Phenomenal traction at high speed on turns, definately a corner carver tire. However, this tire is not very good in the wider width sizes and larger diameter wheels greather than 17 when it comes to road characteristics at low speed (tends to wander and follow any road imperfections). Great summer tire but a bit of traction loss when temperatures dip below 40 degrees F. Had them on my 2001 Cobra. Went through a few sets of them until I got aftermarket wheels. Did not have much wheel hop with the S-03 on the 01 when compared to other tires. Launching was good, but cornering tight turns was a blast with this tire.

The tire that I have been pleased with on aftermarket wheels 245/40-18 (on 8.5x18 front) and 285/35 (on 10x18 rear) have been the Toyo T1-R. I have been a repeat buyer of this tire and it holds up well for a street tire at the drag strip. Also the best tire I ever had when getting trapped in a heavy down pour or in wet conditions :thumbsup:. After 24 passes on the strip along with most of the summer of 2005, The rear tires still have plenty of life left in them. (gave the wheels a break in 2006 and used the 10th anniv wheels I got in spring that year). Does not leave much confidence in hard cornering like the S-03's since the side wall is not as stiff.

Since I have a few sets of wheels, I am getting the BFG g-force KDW NT (275/40-17) mounted on stock 9x17 wheels. Not sure how I will like them but will find out soon enough. They will be replacing the Firestone Firehawk wide ovals that I ran in 06. Sort of sloppy at the drag strip much better as a street tire (I had to see how they would hold up, too greasy at the track even with a short cleaning of the tire, tire pressure made no difference.) The Wide ovals better suited for dry surfaces only (white knuckle on the wet and did not favor well in a heavy down pour). A good grippy tire considering the wear rating is 320. Good for summer use but gets hard when temps drop below 60F. I probably would buy again but want to see if the BFG's are better. The only time I experienced wheel hop was in the rain. I usually do not plan on driving the Cobra in the rian, but there are times I get caught up in it.

Many like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. It all depends on your driving habits and what you expect for the tire to provide. Some tires are a compromise, excellent dry traction but poor wet, etc...

psycho43142
04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I've run the PS2's at 2 AX in the rain and hey were unbelievable how much traction they had, actually more traction than I had courae as I never found the limits either time.

Chris

blk04cobra1
04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
BFG KDW's, KDW2's, or the Nitto NT1's