PDA

View Full Version : SVT difference

arsnowman
03-22-2007, 04:34 PM
This is my first post. Question. What is the difference between the 2001 -2002 engine in the SVT cobra and the engine in the SVT 2003, other than the blower? Are the internals the same? If they are different, is it the same engine that was in the 2001 -2002 GT model?

TommyA77
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
from what I know there is alot of difference. There are stacks of people here who will answer that question easy. I just wanted to help as much as I could. I know the transmission is different. 320hp vs the 03 390hp.

Tommy

tazzracing1
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
The 03 went back to a cast iron block also and they are nothing like a mustang gt motor.

TommyA77
03-22-2007, 05:35 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/2003+cobra/1/73ec14ed-68d4-4276-a8d9-985e00ec4490.htm
check out that video. It will let ya know all you want.

03slidewayzSVT
03-22-2007, 10:52 PM
This is my first post. Question. What is the difference between the 2001 -2002 engine in the SVT cobra and the engine in the SVT 2003, other than the blower? Are the internals the same? If they are different, is it the same engine that was in the 2001 -2002 GT model?

First off Ford didn't make a 2002 Cobra for the US... Only 1999 and 2001 of the same body style with a 4.6L 32V motor....Second 03-04 Cobra's have really nothing in common with the 99,01 Cobra other than a few parts...All the 03-04 Cobra have forged internals that have seen 900+RWHP with twin turbo with no internal work...99-01 Cobra's have the same powdered rods that the GT mustangs have...Meaning they will not withstand high HP levels with out internal modifications...Oh and a GT has nothing in common other than the body...and powdered rods:D

ausie
03-23-2007, 06:59 AM
99 to 01 SVT Cobra:
first to get the IRS
gear ratio stock 3.27:1
Transmission T-3650 5 speed with overdrive
Steel flywheel and drive shaft
C cast aluminum heads with 4v per cylinder, DOHC, cast aluminum runners.
twin bore 57mm throttle body, 80mm MAF meter
4.6L Aluminum block, hyperetic pistons and powdered metal connecting rods. Block construction was not designed for forced induction.
9.85:1 compression ratio naturally aspirated
BHP 320 and 320ft-lb torque SAE. Actual is about the same.

03 to 04 SVT Cobra:
Revised and improved IRS (although some would disagree)
gear ratio stock 3.55:1
Transmission T-56 6 speed with overdrive
Aluminum flywheel and drive shaft with hardened alloy yokes
Different heads (not speficied with a casting letter) Almost same air flow as the 2000 Cobra R heads (not related to the 99 or 01 model) 4v per cylinder DOHC, with larger exhaust ports (different shape than the 99-01). Cast aluminum runners (short) with supercharger intercooler. Eaton M112 modified roots supercharger.
twin bore 57mm throttle body, 90mm MAF meter.
4.6L Cast Iron block with forged Manhely rods and Pistons. This block was designed for forced induction.
8.5:1 Compression ratio with forced induction at 8psi
BHP 390 and 390ft-lb torque SAE. Actual is more closer to 425Hp

I have owned a 2001 SVT Cobra and currently own a 2004. It is a different experience with the 04 when compared to the 01. The 01 was strong at acceleration in stock form. The 04 on the otherhand I have yet to feel the car has become slow. It still surprises me at full throttle where I do not feel that I have to modify the engine components to get more from it as I did with the 01 Cobra.

Typical GT (2000 to 2004)
SLA axle
gear ratio stock 3.27:1
Transmission T-45, 5 speed with overdrive
Steel flywheel and drive shaft
*2v heads. SOHC, composit (plastic) runners and intake plenum.
Single 62mm throttle body (guess),
4.6L Aluminum block, (not sure of the type of pistons used), powdered metal connecting rods. Block construction was not designed for forced induction.
9.5:1 compression ratio naturally aspirated
BHP 270-305* (depending on year and model).
*Mach 1 heads were same as the 03 heads which netted a 305hp. Also used the same dual bore throttle body mated to a composite intake plenum. Do not let the lower hp fool you though, the Mach 1 prduced more torque than the 01 Cobra due to the different heads and increased compression to 10:1. A drag race between the two would be very close. Aslo I believe they changed transmissions after 2002 to the T-3650

Firme
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
4.6L Aluminum block...Block construction was not designed for forced induction.

I beg to differ :) . Even though the factory compression and internals were not able to handle forced induction, I believe the block can hold some nice forced induction. Especially the Teksid block built in Italy by the same company that made the Ferrari F1 race blocks. Remember, the Ford GT is using an aluminum block. I believe the reason why Ford switched to the iron block in 03 was cost. They could only afford to use an expensive aluminum block with cheap internal (which cannot handle boost), or a cheap iron block with expensive boost friendly internals. Before the 03+ came along, there were plenty of people into single digit 1/4 mile times with the Teksid aluminum block on boost.

ausie
03-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I will retract the statement of the block design issue and change that to the bottom half was not designed for forced induction. :) too late....... but I will agree with you on that.... And yes I will concur that most engines will handle forced induction regardless of the internals (just a matter of time when the internals fail). I should have thought more carefully about the SVT development of the 4.6L engine since ford had been in developing the engine block borrowed from the Lincolin. At that time Ford also was working on the IRS and it took about 5 years before it made it into the Cobra. There was an article from MM&FF called super stallions which had some of the Cobra concepts and most if not all of them had superchargers. So you are correct:thumbsup: the Teskid block was designed with forced induction in mind at the time of concept but the internals were not. Blame it on EPA for not seeing a supercharger earlier in the SVT cobra. It is obvious that Ford went to Iron for the terminator block due to the cost factor involved. Forced induction if planned for in block design regardless of material used will reduce the amount of block failures (cracks in cylinder walls, cracks in valley and so on). Since forced induction places more stress on the parts including the block. If the terminator can survive 800hp or more with forced induction and stock internals, it is more than just the internals that make it possible.

arsnowman
03-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Guys, thanks for the info. But I have another question for the experts. Is the engine different in the Mach 1, as far as internals from the 03 04 cobras, or it just the same (internals) as the GT's?

JROC
03-27-2007, 03:41 AM
The Mach 1 engine much more in common with a 96-98, 99, and 01 Cobra engine than it does a 03/04 Cobras, and I'm pretty sure that most of the internals are different. I'm not sure but they might use the same crankshaft.

ausie
03-27-2007, 06:58 AM
I would have to agree with JROC in that the crankshaft is shared in the Mach 1 as it is with the 01 Cobra.
The Mach 1 also has the same heads as 03 Cobra but with a different cam profile.
10.1:1 compression ratio. Not sure on the other internals .
the rear gear final drive ratio is 3.55:1.