PDA

View Full Version : svt fakes ?

Pork*
04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm looking at this cobra, http://cars.kbb.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=YEAR+ascending%2CYEAR+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_14_%7CD-_179_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%2C5%7CP-YEAR+ascending%2CYEAR+descending%7CQ-ascending%7CZ-30044&aff=carskbb&paId=223213714&recnum=23&leadExists=true

It's advertised as an SVT but it doesn't have a SVT signature plate on the valve cover. I'm assuming maybe someone took it off or something. Everything else seems to be in place. How can I tell if this is a true SVT? Did they make regular cobras in this year ? or were all of them SVT's ?

Is it possible that it's a fake?

Thanks
Pork*

tones688
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Send the vin number to Tony S. here at the SCMC and I'm sure he can run it for you and confirm whether or not it's legit (or post it and I'm sure someone will be nice enough to check for you..).

FYI, all Cobra's are SVTs.

blk04cobra1
04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
It looks to have the right body panels, im not sure about the seats, but they look like '01's...as for the emblem, there should be one on there unless some motor work has occured and they took it off :thumbsup: ...I would also run the VIN number and see how she pops up...

Firme
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes, its an 01 Covertible Cobra, given the VIN is listed correctly. You might want to find someone that can run a carfax report on it for you.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=1FAFP46V01F213602&PopUpStatus=0

Pork*
04-03-2007, 06:38 PM
:) Thanks guys, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I missed the intro thread so I'll say hello here. My name is Pork* and I live in Atlanta Ga.

The vin matches the car. The steering wheel has a cobra on it. The seats have a cobra's on them. The intake, brake calipers, wheels also have a cobra on them.There is an svt emblem on the back of the car. Defiantly has a 4.6l dohc under the hood. We did a carfax and it showed up as a Cobra with 17 hits. It has had five owners 3 of which were auto dealers moving it around. There were no hit's on any type of body damage or mechanical damage. Looking hard at the car it doesn't appear the motor was ever changed. If it was the mechanic was awesome. It's a shame the signature tag is missing. Maybe the original owner took it as a souvenir? I don't see any evidence or markings that it was even there. I imagine getting it back may become a problem. I doubt's a new one could be re-issued. Do you think this will diminish the value of the car? That's really one of the cool things about the car.

I noticed and have read that the radiator is aluminum or stainless and is prone to clog the core's with minerals. I was reading in another post on how to purge the cooling system and that one should use bottled water? I'm wondering if the author meant to use distilled water? Seems like they are adding more minerals to bottled water these days. Just a thought but a magnet around the intake water line might solve this problem. Calcium is most probably to blame seeing it's the least soluble mineral in water so it will precipitate before any other mineral when the water is heated. The calcium ion will be a negative charge and would prefer to stick near the magnet before any other metals. Just a thought. :)~

Thanks for your help

Pork*

Pork*
04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
:thumbsup: One other thing I noticed in these forums was that the 2003 cobra had an SVT on the tach face. This 2001 cobra doesn't have an SVT on the tach face. Is that also normal?

Thanks again

Pork

ausie
04-04-2007, 08:08 AM
From what I remember about my 01 Cobra, the guages were sort of plain jane and did not have any spectacular markings on them. The guages changed in 03 since the battery voltage guage was replaced with a boost guage. Also the tach guage is different in the 03/04 models due to the changes in redline.

WVSNS&
04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
My 01 has the rpm x 1000 and no svt on it. Looks plain. Would like to see it w/the SVT that lights up as a shift light though...like in some of the commercials.

john

tazzracing1
04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Here is some of the info from Fords vin decoder and Welcome to the boards
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/vinResults.asp

99SVT3753
04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
VEHICLE NOT FOUND

I'd like to look at the pix myself

:(

Tim

ausie
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Note about the radiator from what I do remember on the 01. Core is aluminum with composite sides. In any case you should only use distilled water.