PDA

View Full Version : Tires?

hi ofcr cobra
04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Just wondering what tires you guys have had luck with and what tires you haven't.

I will be running TWS on april 21-22 and Nitto says they will take 2 weeks to get here (cuttin it a bit close). I have been very happy with the Nitto NT01's, they last a while and have great bite, but I may need to try something new if I plan on making this next event.

BTW, my gf will be driving on track for her first time during this event... if anyone makes it out I'm sure she would love the support.... she will be driving our newly purchased 93 lx hatch. It's been gutted and the seats and harnesses are on the way, a dyno tune is in the near future too.

Back to the point:

What tires should I try if the Nittos dont make it?

jimmysidecarr
04-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I run used race rubber Kumho 700s and 710s or what ever I can find a good deal on.

They are heat cycled pretty bad but I came from a 220 wear street tire, skipped R(100) compounds and made the leap to used race rubber(40,50,60).

It makes the fastest wearing expendable in our hobby much less expensive.

A spare set of track wheels will be required however.... Then just run them down to the cords and put on another one or pair... or set.

Even all hard from age and heat cycling they were the most grip I have yet experienced in my car.

hi ofcr cobra
04-05-2007, 12:08 PM
"less expensive" sounds great to me! where is your normal hunting ground for used race rubber?

jimmysidecarr
04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
"less expensive" sounds great to me! where is your normal hunting ground for used race rubber?

I do google and forum searches... under the size... then under Kumho race rubber...

SCCA site(forums) or NASA(forums) usually has some available since new one are way more sticky they change them out more frequently to stay competitive...

While I don't really have a clock or anyone I need to beat... I just like going FAST!!! And they are fast enough for me!!!

mojosvt
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I have been doing the same thing. But I have only been playing with r-compounds. I am currently running a set of Avon tires, that everybody got on sale a little while back. Brand new, shipped for about 120/tire. Just have to keep your eyes open, and catch them when they are avalible.

hi ofcr cobra
04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
found a pretty good deal on some 305/30zr18 hoosiers... anyone tried 305's for open tracking on the stock suspension?

edit: just installed CC plates so its not completely stock suspension anymore.