PDA

View Full Version : Cuts off on its own...

WVSNS&
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
On the 01 after driving for a while, the car shuts off on its own while at idle say at a light. Also fairly regularly if I depress the clutch at hwy. speed and take some time, like several seconds to down shift the car it will sometimes cut off. The tb and iac were recently cleaned and this problem was all but gone but has now returned. Any thing I have missed? New plugs are in it and the car runs great except for shutting off at random. No lights or anything prior or during these events until after the engine has cut off.

john

blk04cobra1
04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Sometimes when cleaning the MAF, you don't always get it completely clean. Im not aware that the '01 model had any stall issues, is there anything else that might have self adjusted that you can think of?

ausie
04-08-2007, 08:04 AM
You may need to lubricate the pintle shaft of the IAC in case it is sticking with a small amount of oil. Do not use any type of silicone lubricant as that could damage the O2 sensors if any were to pass through to the exhaust. I would also lubricate the throttle body shaft to keep the O rings in good shape.

WVSNS&
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I have replaced the iac. Took about a minute and thirty seconds. Put almost sixty miles on and no stray cutting off yet. Fixed it???

john

ausie
04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
John,
Was this an issue you had before cleaning the IAC or after cleaning it?
If it was an issue after cleaning it, the chemicals used may have gotten into the solenoid motor of the IAC. The next time you need to clean the IAC, hold the solenoid end up to prevent any of the cleaners to enter the solenoid through the shaft seal.

Hopefully the replacement is the cure for the stall issue. If it happens again, it could be related to the MAF sensor (either due to contaminants, or air flow issues) or restrictions of the air filter.

One other question, did you have any idle surge when the stall occured? If you do then it could be the shaft seals of the throttle body. Some cleaners can damage them which would lead to air leaking in throgh the throttle body shaft on the side.

WVSNS&
04-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Yes, it was an increasingly bothersome problem b 4 I replaced the iac. Although after the iac was cleaned, for a short time it wasn't an issue. No idle surge at the stall. The stall would often occur as I pull up to a stop say at a light. The surges I got lately other than at start up were mainly above 2k on the hwy. but still did it around eighteen hundred while depression of the throttle was at a bare minimum. I still see some wavy going on at idle but not anything in comparison to the stall issue. I plan to put a few miles on it and see how it is doing today and tomorrow. Thanks for all the info.

john

ausie
04-12-2007, 06:23 AM
If the idle speed fluctuations are minimal and not erractic such as surge (jumps up to high RPM above 1500 then down to low RPM below 600 and repeats) you should not have any problems. Surge is caused by metered or unmetered air entering the upper plenum and the IAC is trying to regulate the idle speed but cannot. Dry vacuum lines, worn out PCV seals on valve covers, leaking plenum gasket, dry or missing o-ring on the MAF sensor body, or shaft seal of the throttle body can cause the surge.

It does not sound like that is the issue in your case.

WVSNS&
04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Drove around and no problem. Took the wife tothe store. On the way there was a few times the car bucked like a race horse. Cut off a few times at idle. At the house it cut off and would not start. Gonna keep looking.

john

ausie
04-13-2007, 06:58 AM
The starter solenoid switch can be a culprit in that regard as well as a bad electrical connection to the starter. (old school thought)

The crank shaft position sensor can cause this issue.

There may also be a fault in the key cylinder switch.

The chip in the key may be damaged or the transciever may be malfunctioning. If you still have the second set of keys, try that first.

WVSNS&
04-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Is fixed now. The wires that run in front of the passenger side valve cover...that include the crank position sensor wire were hanging a bit low. This caused the wires to come in contact with the belt/pulley. This over a short amount of time caused the wires to become bare and touchthings they weren't supposed to touch unshielded. This was causing the problem. Yesterday afternoon this was discovered and fixed. Unreal. Thanks.

john

ausie
04-14-2007, 09:17 AM
At least you were able to trace the problem and fix it. :thumbsup: