PDA

View Full Version : whipple install question

Big T
04-14-2007, 12:22 AM
I finished installing my whipple and was checking to see if everything was tight. Well, I broke one of my intake manifold bolts in the process. I was using the factory torques but I guess the bolt was bad. Can I try to go with just 9 in or should I pull the whipple out and see if I can get this bolt out? Any help is appreciated.

JROC
04-14-2007, 05:08 AM
I would get the bolt out if it were me.

ausie
04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Depending on where it broke, I would do the same. Since bolts always seem to break at the threads, that could be some what difficult to remove. If only the head came off of the bolt even better since there will be something to grab hold of. IF there is enough area to grab with a tool, find a larg washer to place over the bolt end first so that when you take it out you do not nick the aluminum surface of the plenum with the tool if it slips. Also stuff the plenum with some clean rags to prevent any parts falling into places they should not be in. If you do opt to remove it, get a complete set of bolts to replace all of the old ones just to reduce the chance of another bolt snapping.

Big T
04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
It pretty much broke off at the head and there seems to be some thread that I could get a grip on to rotate it out. I will have to remove the whipple to do it. Will this affect the performance of my car if I can't remove it? I'm just so close to finishing. I've been doing a little at a time on the weekends since I work alot. By the way, does anyone know where could I get a new set of maniflod bolts?

blk04cobra1
04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
It pretty much broke off at the head and there seems to be some thread that I could get a grip on to rotate it out. I will have to remove the whipple to do it. Will this affect the performance of my car if I can't remove it? I'm just so close to finishing. I've been doing a little at a time on the weekends since I work alot. By the way, does anyone know where could I get a new set of maniflod bolts?
Ford should have them, if not take one out and take it with you to your local hardware store and they should be able to match it up.

Big T
04-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Just wanted to check this with you guys. I called ford and they quoted me 46.00 for 10 bolts. 6mmx35mm was the size. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right size. I figure the price is high cause it is from the dealership.

ausie
04-17-2007, 06:36 AM
All you need is the thread pitch (threads per mm or cm) as well as the proper alloy for torque specifications. ARP may carry such parts but could not load the pdf file (dial up too slow). I looked at the whipple site as well as the Kenne Bell site and did not find the bolts as accessory items. If you decide to do the hardware store deal, take one of the bolts to measure the threads, and only replace the damaged bolt. I would send off an e-mail to whipple and see what they respond as a recommendation. Once you get the bolt out, inspect the threads in the hole. Compressed air or a q-tip dipped in oil will get some of the debris out of the threads so you do not snap another bolt. Another way to clean the threads in the hole is to use a thread chaser and use compressed air to remove any debris. That would assume you can find a chaser of the correct size and thread count. (they are not cheap either).

Sonic03inSC
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I did the same thing with my install. I pulled it back off and took a bolt to NAPA and got a harden (#8 I think) bolt to match up and they did not charge me at all for 2 bolts.

Big T
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
I already bought the bolts from ford. I figured that with my luck, I'll break another off. I should have it all done by this weekend. I can't wait :D !!

Sonic03inSC
04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
make sure you remove the PPRV or you may get the sh!t scared out of you at a WOT shift.
Have FUN!

Big T
04-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Just an update. I used a flathead screwdriver and used it to rotate the bolt right out. Took 30 seconds. I'm so glad I didn't have to pull the whipple off. :D