PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Tires

JROC
04-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Not sure if this is the best place for this or not.

Ya'll would be supprised at how few 315/30/18 tire choices there are. There are plenty of 315/35/17 tires out there, but I'm putting 18's on my car. What do ya'll think.

Here are the 315/30/18 tires that I was able to find.

http://picsorban.com/upload/falhza_ang.jpg Falken Azenis RT-615 - $337 - Discount Tire.

^ This is the tire that I'm leaning towards right now. Everything that I've read about it (http://www.musclecar-evolution.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210#) indicates that it is a great tire that is very sticky in dry conditions, but that it also works in the rain very good. The things I don't like about it are A) Its price went up $30 since last night and B) They look kind of ricey as a lot of people use them to drift

http://picsorban.com/upload/mi_pilot_sport_ps2_ci2_l.jpg Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - $397 - Tire Rack.

^ I would love to own this tire, but the price is steep.

http://picsorban.com/upload/pi_pzero_rosso_assim_ci2_l.jpg Pirelli PZero Rosso System - $364 - Tire Rack.

^ I like the looks of this tire, but I've read some bad reviews about it and the price is pretty steep.

http://picsorban.com/upload/yo_advan_sport_ci2_l.jpg Yokohama ADVAN Sport - $426 - Tire Rack.

^ I'm not really considering this tire as it cost a lot of money, only has a 180 tread rating, and from what I've read is no better than the Michelin Pilots in terms of performance.

http://picsorban.com/upload/bf_gforce_drag.jpg BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial - $267 - Tire Rack.

^ Not really considering these either. Great track tire, not a great daily driver tire.

Other non-315 tires I'm considering.

http://picsorban.com/upload/gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $277 - Tire Rack.

^ This is a 295/35/18 tire I'm comparing. If I could choice any 315/30/18 tire to put on the rear of my car it would be this tire hands down. The problem is the only size 315 that this tire comes in is a 315/35/17. Still these tires would probably look really nice on a 10.5" wide wheel, they have good tread wear, are one of the best dry performance tires, are the best wet performance tires, and I haven't heard one negative thing about them. Owners love them, magazine reviews love them, etc. Need proof, I can show ya'll 5 or 6 reviews on this tire, but heres one. Tire Test: The Quick and the Tread - - Car and Driver - December 2005 (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10252/tire-test-the-quick-and-the-tread-page13.html)

http://picsorban.com/upload/nithz7_ang.jpg Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial - $277 - Discount Tire.

^ This is the tire I was going to get, 305/35/18. I'm thinking I don't really want DR's for a car I drive everyday though.

ausie
04-15-2007, 12:47 PM
If you are looking for just a good street / daily driver tire, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 would be the better choice in my opinion. I had looked into the Falken Azenis RT-615 but was steered clear from that one since the place that used to carry Falken tires dropped them due to tire safety issues. In fact there were many places that dropped the Falken brand in my area. A few years ago, Falken tires were everywhere. The Azenis RT-615 was one of the tires I was considering. Since that was no longer an option for my 18's I stayed with the Toyo T1-R's (widest width for them is 295/35-18). I have the 285/35-18 mounted on 18x10 wheels. Toyo and Nitto are sister companies similar to that of BFG and Michelin. The T1-R's are very quiet tires, and do not feel like you are driving on rocks for a low profile tire, perfect in the wet and heavy rain and really good on the curves too. Excellent grip just about everywhere but feel a bit soft which lowers your corner carving confidence. They have survived 1/2 of the summer season and 24 passes down the drag strip in 2005 and are ready for this years torment (had to replace the fronts, had the T1-S tires which finally wore down so now have T1-R on all of the 18's). I have never had an issue with the Toyo T1-R's even at speeds above 160mph (it is rare I go that fast but have burried the needle on the Toyo's). The Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires are comperable to the Toyo Proxes T1-R's. I think the Goodyears may have a stiffer side wall than that of the Toyo's so they should provide a higher level of confidence when hitting turns.
When comparing tires, consider the load rating and speed rating. Anything higher than a 98W should provide reliable use at high speed.

JROC
04-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about the Good Year GS-DS tires and I would love to have them, but I'm really wanting to put 315's on my car without paying Michelin Pilots prices. Does anyone here know how good the PZero's work. I might just buy the Pilots if they last for a while. I wonder if you could buy tires directly from the factory for cheap, there a really big Michelin plant not for from where I live that makes all kinds of Michelin tires.

ausie
04-16-2007, 07:33 AM
What size are the wheels that you are mounting the tires on? If they are a 10 inch wheel, the 295/35-18 should be the size to stay with. However if they are wider than 10 inches, you will need the 315/30's or larger.

JROC
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
18 x 10.5 rear 18 x 9 front.

ausie
04-17-2007, 06:53 AM
295 is the widest width of most 18 inch tires. That will fit a 10 up to 11 inch wheel. 10 inch being the smaller width, so 10.5" whould be the best fit considering the alternatives.... Just look at the tire specs which should provide fitment for wheel size.

tazzracing1
04-18-2007, 12:52 AM
What tire can handle first gear beside a drag radial, If there is one??

JROC
04-18-2007, 06:04 AM
My car is a DD. I want 315's because they look good, but I just wish they had more options. I'm kind of debating between the Falkens and the Nitto's. If the Pilots last for a while I might consider them also.

BTW I'm not considering the BFG DR's. Not a good DD tire. I just put them there because they are a 315/30/18 tire.

ausie
04-18-2007, 06:49 AM
What I like about the Falken's is the amount of rubber that would be in the footprint of the tire. It almost looks comperable to that of a drag radial as far as rubber surface area is concerned. Not quite the tire you would want to take to a drag strip but would do fine with autox where it is favored with the miata owners. For daily driver, the compound is basically a street tire (not quite an R compound) which makes it suitable for street use. That was the tire I had some interest in. Ricey or not, if the tire is good then why not use it? I found the following link when I was digging for information on the Azenis RT-615 tire

http://www.tiretrends.com/TTreportP2.php

ausie
04-18-2007, 07:43 AM
What tire can handle first gear beside a drag radial, If there is one??
There really is no tire that will give ultimate grip in all driving conditions especially on the street (depending on how the roads are maintained). For daily driver, I would rather have a tire that would break loose first before breaking something in the drive line but of course I would not want a tire that looses grip every time you mash down on the go pedal. There will always be some sort of compromise.

JROC
04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
What I like about the Falken's is the amount of rubber that would be in the footprint of the tire. It almost looks comperable to that of a drag radial as far as rubber surface area is concerned. Not quite the tire you would want to take to a drag strip but would do fine with autox where it is favored with the miata owners. For daily driver, the compound is basically a street tire (not quite an R compound) which makes it suitable for street use. That was the tire I had some interest in. Ricey or not, if the tire is good then why not use it? I found the following link when I was digging for information on the Azenis RT-615 tire

http://www.tiretrends.com/TTreportP2.php
Thats a good link, thanks. :thumbsup:

I am kind of leaning towards the Falkens, because I am in the process of modding my suspension and I want to make it a very good handling car, and not just a good handling Mustang.

ausie
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
There was a really good tire comparisson but could not find it since I deleted the link. I found it. They did not rate drag radials here, just street tires.

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/160_0511_et_2005_tire_buyers_guide/index.html

mfelice03
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Other - Mickey Thompson DRs on the drag strip, GY F1 GS-D3 on the street.:)

JROC
01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
^ I went with the Falkens. I like them alot. :thumbsup:

I do miss my old Nitto 555R's though.

pdogkilr
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I have Kumho Ecsta ASX in OEM size on the 10th Anniversary wheels for everyday driving. Good grip, great wear.

I have Kumho Ecsta MX in OEM size on another set of rims for track days - no trailer, so I have to drive to/from.

I'm pleased with the Kumho's. I have a set of Nitto 555R Drag Radials. Wish I didn't. When the purse strings are loosened, I am going to go with M/T Drag Radials. I just can't seem to get the Nitto's to hook. Probably driver, though.

InfamousSVT
01-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Another thing to consider if you haven't already is that the Goodyear actually run wider than other brands. When I had the GS-D3's on my car I had fender rubbing (H&R Springs w/isolators) The Nittos run a little smaller and some people have ran a Nitto 335 on a 10.5" rim.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Voodoo Snake
03-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I get the Sumitomo 275/40/17s for front and 315/35/17s for rear....the fronts are 88.00 and rears are 99.00 at tirerack. They are 1/3 the price of everything else and if they last a year, it's worth it and i buy new ones. they are 160 compound...look great and perform really well.

2004MystiSVT
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I have Kumho Ecsta ASX in OEM size on the 10th Anniversary wheels for everyday driving. Good grip, great wear.

I have Kumho Ecsta MX in OEM size on another set of rims for track days - no trailer, so I have to drive to/from.

I'm pleased with the Kumho's. I have a set of Nitto 555R Drag Radials. Wish I didn't. When the purse strings are loosened, I am going to go with M/T Drag Radials. I just can't seem to get the Nitto's to hook. Probably driver, though.
I'm going to have to agree with you on the NT555R...I couldn't get them to hook real well either and by the time they got to where they would hook decently...it was time for new ones...too much money...I personally didn't like them very much. I put a pair of the regular NT555's on the rear and so far so good.

cobrabitn
05-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Cooper Zeon! :thumbsup:

03whitecobra
05-25-2008, 04:02 PM
My experience:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS 275/40ZR17: OK cornering, Good launch, Poor in rain/water, Difficult to burn up the tire.
Kumho Ecsta MX 275/35ZR18: Very Good cornering, Very Good launching, Very Good in rain/water, Have not drove them enough to comment on tread wear.
Pirelli PZero 275/40ZR17: Good cornering, Good launching, Shiaty in rain/water, Have not drove them enough to comment on tread wear.
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275/40ZR17: Very Good cornering, -N/A-, Very Good in rain/water, currently on front of vehicle.
BFG g-Force T/A KD 315/35ZR17: Very Good cornering, Very Good launching, Good in rain/water, currently on rear of vehicle.

I have heard good reviews about Bridgestone Potenza RE750. A friend of mine is running them now on his Maserati and he was surprised at there handling, they were stable and responsive. He is a "spirited" driver. He also told me that you don't have to heat them up.

Oh, tirerack.com is your friend. Even if you don't order from them look at the reviews, spec and ratings. It's free.

JROC
05-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I've had the Falken Azenis RT-615's on my car for about 6 months now. Great tire for the price IMO. :cheers:

Exposed
06-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I am looking at the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 on my 03 Cobra. I have the aftermarket Cobra 5 spoke wheels (18"x10"). I was going to put the 295x35ZRx18 (99Y) on all 4 wheels. My tire dealer is questioning the front ones fitting. His book shows 275 as being the largest that will clear everything. Has anyone put the 295's on the front????
thanks

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

03White_Venom
06-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I run the NITTO INVO's and love them.. no road noise at all!

puzzle13
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Are you running the 18X10's on the front? If so, how do you fit them in? I would have to agree with your tire guy on the 275's being the largest for the front. Any larger and I do believe you would have a lot of rubbing.

I am looking at the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 on my 03 Cobra. I have the aftermarket Cobra 5 spoke wheels (18"x10"). I was going to put the 295x35ZRx18 (99Y) on all 4 wheels. My tire dealer is questioning the front ones fitting. His book shows 275 as being the largest that will clear everything. Has anyone put the 295's on the front????
thanks

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Exposed
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
My local dealer has looked everywhere for the 275's. He can find a few of the 295's but most places (Internet as well) are back ordered or not available. The reason I started looking was because I started having a vibration at low speed. Come to find out steel cord was exposed on inside of front tire. Still decent tread... So the Nitto's came off and the original Goodyears (almost wore out) on stock 10th Annv. wheels went back on. Vibration is gone and excellent traction again. Not for sure which direction to take now... May consider the Michelins again if available...

JROC
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
My local dealer has looked everywhere for the 275's. He can find a few of the 295's but most places (Internet as well) are back ordered or not available. The reason I started looking was because I started having a vibration at low speed. Come to find out steel cord was exposed on inside of front tire. Still decent tread... So the Nitto's came off and the original Goodyears (almost wore out) on stock 10th Annv. wheels went back on. Vibration is gone and excellent traction again. Not for sure which direction to take now... May consider the Michelins again if available...Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are very well liked tires and offer excellent dry and wet performance. I have heard they call the best tire Good Year makes.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-9592/gy-275-40zr-1798yvsb-goodyear-eagle-f1-gs-d3-275-40-17.html

I agree the factory Good year Eagle F1 GS tires are much better than people give them credit for, but they are overpriced. If you do want these you can call Lethal and see if they have any.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-9593/gy-p275-40zr-1798wfrd-goodyear-eagle-f1-gs-275-40-17.html

Exposed
06-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I was looking for the 18" ones.... I am not that crazy about the Anniv. wheels. I have the polished Cobra ones on the 18".
Will give them a try.. I probably will try a set of the Michelin PS2 ones if I can find a set. They seem to run about the same price as the Goodyear for price...

RheacerDave
06-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Not sure your really want any kind of drag radial on a daily driver.
They aren't really designed to turn and I'm betting really crappy on the front
end.
I have autoX/ roadraced cars for almost 25 years and raced AMA 7 years before that. I replace my Hoosiers every other weekend. Figure every 100-120 miles. RT-615's are what I autocross on. Drive on the street only and they may be good for a few thousand. I have 3 autocrosses on them and they still look pretty good- Figure 25-30 miles with no street miles.
Someone mentioned the Cooper Zeon. I have them on the Roush and am really impressed with them on the street. No, Seriously. Good wet, great dry, so far with 1800 miles.
I raced on Kumhos for years, Victoracers, and 700's. Then raced on Goodyears and now Hoosiers. I used a couple of sets of Ecstas as street tires. Decent for the money, if you can find your size.
Guess I'm saying you need to decide how you are going to use your tires, and then be realistic about your choice.
Do you really want to go through $1500 worth of rubber every few thousand miles?

Bartman01
06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
My car is a DD. I want 315's because they look good, but I just wish they had more options. I'm kind of debating between the Falkens and the Nitto's. If the Pilots last for a while I might consider them also.

BTW I'm not considering the BFG DR's. Not a good DD tire. I just put them there because they are a 315/30/18 tire.

If your car is dual purpose (daily driver and drag race) then you really need two sets of wheels/tires. One set of all weather road tires for the street and one set of sticky tires for drag racing. Long term the cost will be cheaper (track tires don't last long on the street) and it is good insurance against totaling your car because the tires weren't really fit for rain duty on slick streets.

JayTee
07-06-2008, 05:18 AM
thanks

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgI run Nitto 315s on the back and have no problems with the width. I have trouble with getting them to hook up sometimes.

Exposed
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Well after waiting about 6 weeks, my local Discount Tire finally located me the tires I was looking for. I picked up 2-265/35ZR18 and 2 295/35ZR18 yesterday for my 03 Cobra. Will be dropping out the IRS tomorrow and replacing all the bushings this weekend. New tires will go on when get it all back together... I ordered the UHMW bushings and rear sway bar kit from AC427cobra (Bruce) STV Performance. Will post results after getting it all done this weekend...

JROC
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Well after waiting about 6 weeks, my local Discount Tire finally located me the tires I was looking for. I picked up 2-265/35ZR18 and 2 295/35ZR18 yesterday for my 03 Cobra. Will be dropping out the IRS tomorrow and replacing all the bushings this weekend. New tires will go on when get it all back together... I ordered the UHMW bushings and rear sway bar kit from AC427cobra (Bruce) STV Performance. Will post results after getting it all done this weekend...Make sure you install grease fitting with your bushings and grease them regularly. I have the same kit(without the swaybar bushings) and it performs great, but after about 10 months it will start squeaking really bad if you don't. I cheapened out and did not. When I get my clutch install I'm going to have them drop the rearend and install grease fittings.

Exposed
08-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I want to say a few things about this. It is a lot of work but when you finish, it is definitely worth the effort. Cobra really feels good now on the rear IRS. Now the new Goodyear F1's, just spin and not jump all over the road.... I highly recommend this upgrade.... I dropped the IRS by myself but had the son-in-law and son helping on getting back in.... If you are going to do this project and don't have a good jack, I recommend this... I have ATV's and bought a hydraulic jack to service them. It has two flat rails and lifts about 20". It works great for dropping out the IRS. Easy enough I felt comfortable removing by myself.. I got the jack at Northern Tools for about $90.

I want to thank Bruce for the great job on providing the parts, tools, labeling, packaging, and instructions. They are excellent as well as the quality of material he is supplying. I am very impressed with his expertize on this. Anybody wanting to really make a difference in the rear end on their IRS, this upgrade is a must....
thanks again Bruce....

ac427cobra
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I want to say a few things about this. It is a lot of work but when you finish, it is definitely worth the effort. Cobra really feels good now on the rear IRS. Now the new Goodyear F1's, just spin and not jump all over the road.... I highly recommend this upgrade.... I dropped the IRS by myself but had the son-in-law and son helping on getting back in.... If you are going to do this project and don't have a good jack, I recommend this... I have ATV's and bought a hydraulic jack to service them. It has two flat rails and lifts about 20". It works great for dropping out the IRS. Easy enough I felt comfortable removing by myself.. I got the jack at Northern Tools for about $90.

I want to thank Bruce for the great job on providing the parts, tools, labeling, packaging, and instructions. They are excellent as well as the quality of material he is supplying. I am very impressed with his expertize on this. Anybody wanting to really make a difference in the rear end on their IRS, this upgrade is a must....
thanks again Bruce....

Calvin:

I'm very glad you're happy with the kit and the results. :D Your comments are typical of what I hear about 95% of the time! :cool:

It IS a big job. Lots of assistance and a well equipped shop will make the job go more smoothly.

Many people comment on how improved the rear end feels. Much more positively planted. If you have not bumpsteered the IRS yet that will be like the icing on the cake. It will be hard to imagine you're still driving a Mustang!

:thumbsup:

JayTee
09-05-2008, 02:25 AM
I was reading through the posts and read one from "ME" that talked about the adequacy of 275 tire being wide enough. I NEVER said that. I have no idea how that happened, but the term "hacked" comes to mind. I run Nitto 555 315s on the rear and can break those loose if I'm not careful. 275s would never work on my Cobra. Reading a post from my profile that I didn't type.... that upsets me.

I'm deployed in the AF and I just bought some Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals to have mounted while I'm gone as the Nittos are almost DONE, can anybody tell me if I'll like these tires or not?

The Firestones were affordable, so if their not good, they may become candidates for the Year One burnout contest. :headbang:

Regarding the post from EXPOSED, what was the bushing kit that you purchased for the IRS rear end? It sounded great but I don't know what you bought...

JT

Exposed
09-05-2008, 07:00 AM
JayTee, it changes the soft sloppy bushing from the rear IRS and replaces with much better material that makes the IRS very solid in handling. It also eliminates the wheel hop you get when you break the back tires loose... It is a very good upgrade and highly reccommend it. However, saying that, it is a good job (not for a beginner) to tackle. Below is a link to where you can read all about the kit. Bruce is the guy handling the kits (ac427cobra). Right about your post is the guy to respond to if interested.
I also ran my last set were Nittos and now have the F1 Goodyears... The difference in traction is 10 time better. They really stick to the road. NOt for sure on the Firehawks......

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260665

JayTee
09-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the link. Almost always, I purchase parts and ask Doug at Ford Performance Specialists in Atlanta to do the install. I don't want to screw anything up at the RPMs and speed I like to drive. The peace of mind is worth the extra money to me.

http://www.fordspecialists.com/index.html

Thanks again,

JT

RR03Cobra
09-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I had the Nitto 555R 305-35-18s on my cobra for a few months! Not a bad tire!! It had decent tread wear and can handle the rain. I just installed the new style Mickey Thompson DRs. I love these tires and they can handle the rain!! I have a 10" rim and installed the 315-30-18s on the rear! The even handle well!!:thumbsup:

Andy M
04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Nitto Invos! :thumbsup: I have a set of staggered Invos on my Terminator and they are the best street/performance tires I've ever owned! Hands down!

ausie
04-17-2010, 12:10 PM
I was reading through the posts and read one from "ME" that talked about the adequacy of 275 tire being wide enough. I NEVER said that. I have no idea how that happened, but the term "hacked" comes to mind. I run Nitto 555 315s on the rear and can break those loose if I'm not careful. 275s would never work on my Cobra. Reading a post from my profile that I didn't type.... that upsets me.

I'm deployed in the AF and I just bought some Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals to have mounted while I'm gone as the Nittos are almost DONE, can anybody tell me if I'll like these tires or not?

The Firestones were affordable, so if their not good, they may become candidates for the Year One burnout contest. :headbang:

Regarding the post from EXPOSED, what was the bushing kit that you purchased for the IRS rear end? It sounded great but I don't know what you bought...

JTI had a set of the Firestone Firehawk wide ovals on my 10th anniversary wheels. They were a good tire overall but they wore down quickly. They did okay on the wet surface when new but that did not last long. Once you get down to half life of the tire, the tread rubber gets harder and grip will reduce. I never had the tires long enough to run at the strip to compare to the Toyo Proxes T1-R that I have on other wheels. I replaced the worn Firehawk tires with BFG KDW tires which were far better in the rain but suffered the same when they wore down as the firehawks. The BFG KDW and the Firehawk wide oval tires I would rate about the same. I am looking at getting new rubber for the 17x9 wheels but will go with Toyo for the next set of tires. Thinking of the Proxes R888 or the R1R. The R888 offer a wider footprint for the 275/40-17 wheel at 11" wide. The R1R in the same size will run 10.8" wide. If I had 10.5 width wheels in the 17, I would go with the R888 315/35-17 which would provide 12.6" contact patch width. They do not make this tire for the 18" wheels in the sizes I would use at this time. For mainly a street driven car, I may just get the R1R tires vrs the R888 since the tread depth is 8/32 compared to 6/32. Many people who have tried the R888 are surprised how well a road course tire manages the drag strip. When compared to the popular drag radial, the R888 tire is said to be better. I have read about this tire in other forums. When I got tires for my 18" wheels, the dealer suggested to go for the R888 if I plan on running the car at the strip.